Overall setup questions

Everything related to MakeMKV
maulis425

Overall setup questions

Post by maulis425 »

Hello everyone, I have a number of questions that fit multiple categories and I couldn't figure out where to put it, so here it is.

Questions:
I have a 2018 MacBook Pro, so an external drive via USB-C is my only option. I'm currently using something a tad bit janky - a powered external enclosure meant for 3.5HDDs, but I have a SATA extension cable plugged into the LG WH16NS40. Is that ok?
The errors I run into are: "failed to open disc" (sent an email to the support address), the disc spins down and stops reading 1/2 way through ripping and the SCSI error.
It's backed up every DVD but the BDs seem to be about a 70% hit rate or so, can my janky setup be the problem?
Should I fork over the $50 for the OWC Mercury enclosure?
I would like the capability to rip UHD discs in the future, so I'd like to stick with the UHD Friendly drives, should I swap out my LG drive for the ASUS BW16* drive, if it seems like the drive (which is about 1 month old) is dying?
Is it necessary to use the FW downgrade through the DOS boot, or is the UHD decryption being natively added to MakeMKV, per the post from the beginning of November? I initially sat down to perform the FW downgrade but after reading that post it seems like I'd be wasting my time and unnecessarily risking my drive.

Thanks for the help, I've tried searching the forum and piecing together this information but clearly I'm incapable of putting 2 and 2 together.
st4evr

Re: Overall setup questions

Post by st4evr »

Best advise, get a Friendly drive (or flash your current to Friendly) and a backup drive. Several enclosures have been dicussed already for similar Mac setups to yours.

Talk to this member:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17829

He may be able to assist.