Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
babypuncher

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by babypuncher »

Will this include support for re-badged BU50Ns like the Buffalo BRUHD-PU3?
ColKurtz

Post by ColKurtz »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:34 am
ColKurtz wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:28 pm
Will these UHD drives from LG require some specific firmware?
mike admin wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:37 pm
All firmware versions will be supported.
I read that, but then the update to the post starts talking about specific firmware versions. I guess I could have phrased my question better, perhaps what I am asking for is a bit more guidance on what to buy and what to expect as far as easy or use when this update is released
mattyj2001

Post by mattyj2001 »

mattyj2001 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:47 pm
I have a Mac, BU50N (firmware 1.01 I believe, I don't have it with me) and around 25 4K disks. If there are any beta testing opportunities for this feature/drive support, I'd be more than happy to help. :)
My bad, it's a BU40N. Offer still stands if MakeMKV plans on somehow supporting this drive and testers are needed.
mikesway

Post by mikesway »

Hi, I just bought a LITEON EB1 without knowing what a "friendly" drive was. How do I know if this is an official or friendly drive? I've tried ripping The Dark Knight, but obviously no luck yet.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

mikesway wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:28 pm
Hi, I just bought a LITEON EB1 without knowing what a "friendly" drive was. How do I know if this is an official or friendly drive? I've tried ripping The Dark Knight, but obviously no luck yet.
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 832#p58519
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

mikesway wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:28 pm
For starters there is a clearly marked sticky post from the Admin at the top of this subforum detailing requirements titled: “UHD Drives”. Additionally hundreds of posts discussing this topic in detail throughout this forum.

Example:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... yce#p67006

Review/read the links discussed in that linked post and it should provide you with the details you are looking for.
ipkha

Post by ipkha »

Can we can get an update on the expected arrival of this feature? It has been 2 weeks. Just wondering how imminent support is. I'm hoping soon.
ProNub

Post by ProNub »

Hi all. Thanks for the hard work mike and those who answer questions on this forum. Once support for the LG is released will support for other drives follow quickly? I have the Pioneer BDR-211UBK and my frustrations with official 4k playback have led me to consider purchasing another drive.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

babypuncher wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:58 am
Will this include support for re-badged BU50Ns like the Buffalo BRUHD-PU3?
Yes, but confirmation is needed. Do you have the drive by any chance?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

ProNub wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:10 am
I have the Pioneer BDR-211UBK and my frustrations with official 4k playback have led me to consider purchasing another drive.
These 2 drives - Pioneer and Matshita liekly will never be supported.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

ipkha wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:47 pm
Can we can get an update on the expected arrival of this feature? It has been 2 weeks. Just wondering how imminent support is. I'm hoping soon.
Soon...

p.s. guys, this is informational post, please keep it this way...
ProNub

Post by ProNub »

Thanks for the reply Mike. Curious, is supporting the Pioneer more difficult? DeUHD does not support it either.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

ProNub wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:27 pm
Thanks for the reply Mike. Curious, is supporting the Pioneer more difficult? DeUHD does not support it either.
It’s not that it’s “more difficult”. It’s technical limitations that prevent the support. Not all drives are manufacured the same or come out of the same assembly line/factory. There are technical aspects that allow bypassing AACS 2 protection on other drives, which are simply NOT present in Pioneer drives.

Mike, DeUHD, and other developers unanimously have already mentioned several times Pioneer will most likely never be supported because of this, so best thing you can do is get a supported driver if interested in UHD support from these various apps/developers.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Will there be an advantage to using a official drive vs a friendly drive?

Will an official drive be a requirement at some point?

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
pirata1987

Post by pirata1987 »

HI ..... im new in this forum, i have a question . im using the official WH16NS60 V 1.00 to back up 4k movies , but i am using 3 differents softwares and no one is able to rip a move , driver red the movie and run with the softwares but after a few minutes o , certain %........ i get a read error . im not sure if is the driver because all my movies are brand new , even i open one and nothing .
do i need to flash this driver with the frendly driver ????? help please