Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Malkana

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by Malkana »

An eta would be nice. I assume they are waiting for other members to sell out of their friendly UHD drives for sale and ‘flashing service’ :roll: I’m about to go with deUHD.
jonghotti

Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by jonghotti »

So what’s the reasoning behind threatening the move to DeUHD?

DeUHD costs three times as much as MakeMKV (yes for those of you not aware, you can and should buy a license this program).

Do you have an “official” UHD drive and don’t want to have it flashed in the meantime? You know you could buy an ASUS and chill with that in the meantime. A lot of users have both an ASUS and an LG for those discs that won’t rip in one model and will in the other.

I realize this is the wrong topic for me to bring that up so we’ll stick with your original theory, I can say I’m 99% sure the reason for the delay is not to wait for anyone to run out of inventory, lol. That’s just not going to happen.

Anyone thinks I have a lot of friendly drives for sale just wait and see how many Official drives I’ve got in stock.
Last edited by jonghotti on Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Malkana wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:51 am
An eta would be nice. I assume they are waiting for other members to sell out of their friendly UHD drives for sale and ‘flashing service’ :roll: I’m about to go with deUHD.
im just going to say that this is untrue Mike is not waiting on me to run out stock or anyone else i dont even keep stock because of the news i order on request. it is very nice of him to even allow selling on the forum most others would not.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Don’t feed the troll guys. Or clearly he is completely clueless and uninformed on how things really work. Like many. Either way... just don’t feed it. :wink:
Malkana

Post by Malkana »

I am not ‘trolling’ sheesh, I asked the exact same question on the previous page 2 weeks ago (and got no response). I’m merely curious as the time frame in the OP has expired and it crossed my this maybe a reason why. So quick on the defensive. Anyway as you were. Merry Christmas :D
RayZorFist

Post by RayZorFist »

Hello folks,

Newly registered and purchased user here. Yes, I paid money for the software which you can use for free. I believe in paying people for the work they do.

The LG drive support announcement was made several weeks ago and I'm wondering if there is an update on the ETA?

I'm not pushing. I know how hard it is sometimes to figure stuff out and estimates are hard to make when writing software, especially when supporting 3 different OS's! I'm grateful to have a Mac version of this.

The effort is appreciated, which is why I happily paid my money. :D

Cheers!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Malkana wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:46 pm
I am not ‘trolling’ sheesh, I asked the exact same question on the previous page 2 weeks ago (and got no response). I’m merely curious as the time frame in the OP has expired and it crossed my this maybe a reason why. So quick on the defensive. Anyway as you were. Merry Christmas :D
Guys, first of all, thank you for being polite.

Clearly, the initial "two weeks" have passed and there is no public announcement yet. The reasons for delay are somewhat complicated but are irrelevant. Please let me post the update:
- This feature (support for LG UHD drives) is part of a much bigger project that will be announced "soon". In order to do everything right, significantly more time was required than anticipated.
- MakeMKV in fact supports "official" UHD drives for almost a year, but this feature is enabled only for a subset of users who opted for beta testing.
- We are working as fast as we can to delver what we promised, and enable this technology for all, hopefully still in 2018 :)
- If you did purchase an "official" LG/HLDS UHD drive during holidays, this is one of the best investment you've ever made. Really.

Thank you for your contentious support.
archer

Post by archer »

Thanks for the update Mike! Take your time, it’ll be well worth it!
ireadya

Post by ireadya »

Seriously? This is completely asinine. How the hell am I supposed to rip my 4k Redbox rentals to stream to my Galaxy phone? I've been PATIENTLY hitting refresh several times a day, with my browser and makeMkv tiled next to each other, disc in drive, ready to start. Now you tell me it's going to be longer than what it's already taken (which is far past the original 2 weeks), and some people are suggesting that we "donate" for this "free" software? If it doesn't happen soon, I'm going to go upstairs and tell my mom. I may even file a complaint with the state for discrimination.

Ok, ok.... Sarcasm aside, this software is amazing and I will be buying a license or two shortly (within 2 weeks! haha). Sorry for the sarcasm coming out again. I've seen my share of people who get stuff for free then DEMAND you do something for them like you owe them. F that.

Anyway, the amount of money I've saved not having to worry about replacing the discs my very young kids manage to get into, regardless of location, is worth many times more than any of us will ever pay for the software There's even some truth to the above... I have been excited to refresh this page every day to see the latest. Even though I still haven't picked up a 4k TV! Maybe I should re evaluate my priorities!

Keep up the hard work Mike! Many thanks
mattyj2001

Post by mattyj2001 »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:39 am
Thank you for your contentious support.
I'm not sure if the use of the word 'contentious' there was intentional or auto-correct mayhem, but either way that was hilarious.

On the few occasions in my life where people have been eagerly awaiting some work of mine to be done, I told them that I subscribe to the philosophy of French cooking in everything I do: "It's done when it's done." :)

That philosophy applies equally well to smoking a pork shoulder or spare ribs, which has nothing to do with 4K drives but it's what has been occupying my time over this holiday season, and is a really good way to kill a day whilst eagerly awaiting Mike's next release.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

I'd happily trade you a blu ray drive for some smoked pork shoulder :-)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
XrayDoc88

Post by XrayDoc88 »

Hello All,

Based on this forum thread I have ordered an LG WH16NS60 that should arrive in a few days. I assume it will have the most recent firmware installed. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for a firmware change? Am I correct in assuming that with earlier firmware this might become a "friendly" UHD drive without the anticipated changes in Make MKV? Thanks for your help!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

XrayDoc88 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:00 pm
Hello All,

Based on this forum thread I have ordered an LG WH16NS60 that should arrive in a few days. I assume it will have the most recent firmware installed. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for a firmware change? Am I correct in assuming that with earlier firmware this might become a "friendly" UHD drive without the anticipated changes in Make MKV? Thanks for your help!
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=17058
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

XrayDoc88 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:00 pm
Hello All,

On top of page 3 of this very thread there are several detailed options/links provided regarding what you are asking. Jumping to the last page of the thread will not help you. This thread is full of useful information, some directly from Mike. It could prove useful for you to read it.
XrayDoc88

Post by XrayDoc88 »

Sorry to offend you st4evr. I did read this entire thread a few weeks ago. That's what made me decide to purchase an "official" UHD drive in the first place. I read LOTS of forum threads. I simply didn't remember that my question might have already been addressed. It doesn't make me a bad, slothful person. Perhaps you could be a little more tolerant and less critical? Just a thought. We're all at different stages in ripping our movie collections. Let's help each other.