UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jonghotti
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: Earth

Re: UHD drives

Post by jonghotti » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:50 pm

I'm working with KaraokeAmerica by phone to resolve his issues.

Bill_Z
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:39 pm

Re: UHD drives

Post by Bill_Z » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:08 pm

If any kind souls are willing to help an old guy out... Yes, I have read through this topic, more than once. I have an LG BH16NS40 but not the right SVC code (code not listed on label). Yes, i bought an external Asus Asus BW-16D1 but then discovered the external does not work, only the internal. I get it, shit happens. I understand nothing is future proof. What I am asking for is what external, and what internal drives would I buy that would work at this time. Yes, I do want one of each. yes, i do understand I will most likely/definitely need to flash to earlier firmwares, etc... Yes, i do have access to many systems both older and brand new so flashing should not be an issue for me. No, unfortunately I cannot purchase from any member here , otherwise I would be thrilled to do so.

Would someone be kind enough to suggest 2 externals and 2 internals for me please. I would like to purchase 1 of each. Having a set where one rips what the other won't would be a great scenario of course. Is "the list" on page 1 still relevant?

Located in NY. RunnIng any and all versions of Windows.

Thanks to all

Bill

jonghotti
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: Earth

Re: UHD drives

Post by jonghotti » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 pm

Bill_Z wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:08 pm
If any kind souls are willing to help an old guy out... Yes, I have read through this topic, more than once. I have an LG BH16NS40 but not the right SVC code (code not listed on label). Yes, i bought an external Asus Asus BW-16D1 but then
Bill
Bill I've got you covered for both drives you mentioned. Check your PMs or email me alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com. My phone number is posted somewhere as well.

P.S. the long term investement group here has advised me to state "buying a WH/BH16NS60 svc code. NS60, is one of the best investments you'll ever make. (I've got those as well.)

SamuriHL
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: UHD drives

Post by SamuriHL » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:04 pm

jonghotti wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 pm
P.S. the long term investement group here has advised me to state "buying a WH/BH16NS60 svc code. NS60, is one of the best investments you'll ever make. (I've got those as well.)
I just got one of those delivered yesterday. Seems to have been shipped with firmware 1.1. Can't wait to see what's coming for that drive.

jonghotti
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: Earth

Re: UHD drives

Post by jonghotti » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:04 pm
jonghotti wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 pm
P.S. the long term investement group here has advised me to state "buying a WH/BH16NS60 svc code. NS60, is one of the best investments you'll ever make. (I've got those as well.)
I just got one of those delivered yesterday. Seems to have been shipped with firmware 1.1. Can't wait to see what's coming for that drive.
1.01 is the current shipping version yeah, I believe that 1.00 is the desired revision, though I'm not sure why.

SamuriHL
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: UHD drives

Post by SamuriHL » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:44 pm

jonghotti wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm
1.01 is the current shipping version yeah, I believe that 1.00 is the desired revision, though I'm not sure why.
Well, if it becomes necessary, I'll figure out how to downgrade it. I'm not super worried right now as I've got a friendly ASUS drive with 3.02 on it that hasn't let me down yet with any of my UHD's. I just wanted to have a real UHD drive that could potentially have useful functionality going forward. I have personal speculation on why these drives might actually be better going forward than friendly drives but it's just a guess. Hence, I grabbed one. LOL

jonghotti
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: Earth

Re: UHD drives

Post by jonghotti » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:40 pm

Personal speculation: OK let's hear it!!

SamuriHL
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: UHD drives

Post by SamuriHL » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:08 am

Where's the fun in that? :D Ok, just remember this is 100% speculation by someone who hasn't a clue what he's talking about (me) so take it with 300lbs of salt or something.

All I'm thinking is that for blu-ray, AACS 1.0 support was needed to actually decrypt blu-rays using the full AACS decryption process. With UHD, we now have AACS 2.x. Friendly drives are not AACS 2.x compliant and therefore require the title keys to decrypt a disc. With an official UHD drive, they can initiate the full AACS 2.x decryption process. If they've indeed cracked it like they have for blu-rays then UHD official drives are going to be as useful as blu-ray drives are to blu-ray ripping.

Again, just a theory and a thought. No idea if this is the case. Pure speculation that they may have figured out how to fully crack AACS 2.x with official drives. Meh, I could be totally off base and I accept that.

DonaldDuck30
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:01 pm

Re: UHD drives

Post by DonaldDuck30 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 pm

jonghotti wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 pm
Bill_Z wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:08 pm
If any kind souls are willing to help an old guy out... Yes, I have read through this topic, more than once. I have an LG BH16NS40 but not the right SVC code (code not listed on label). Yes, i bought an external Asus Asus BW-16D1 but then
Bill
Bill I've got you covered for both drives you mentioned. Check your PMs or email me alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com. My phone number is posted somewhere as well.

P.S. the long term investement group here has advised me to state "buying a WH/BH16NS60 svc code. NS60, is one of the best investments you'll ever make. (I've got those as well.)
Hi,
I'm complete new in this forum. So I can´t send you a PM (I think this is the reason). I like to buy a friendly external (!) USB-drive. Can you help me? What are the total costs if you send the drive to Germany?

Regards

martinav
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:26 am

Re: UHD drives

Post by martinav » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:32 am

Oh guys. Dont do this to me. The first item in this post clearly provided a list of compatible drives. I picked up two WH14NS40 1.00 drives. I insert my first 4k disk to no avail. I do a little reading and there some issue with a manufacureres date on the drive. That would have been ehlpful information in the lead-in post. I also dont appreciate the later post that told someone else that they did not do enough research. SO, what is enough research? Until you do enough to find it isnt compatible? Please... I blew my cash on two unnecessary drives as a direct result of this post. I implore whomever posted this to update with the "caveats" to not cause people to waste their money. I do not think I should have to read 480 posts deep to find the "oh by the way..." issues.

SO, I will ask this question again... what is a bloody 4k drive I can use with mkv.

Compatible or not?

Drive Information
OS device name: I:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: K9FD1EE4856
Firmware date: 2112-06-16 18:28
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 65

No disc inserted


Thank you.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: UHD drives

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 am

martinav wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:32 am
Oh guys. Dont do this to me. The first item in this post clearly provided a list of compatible drives. I picked up two WH14NS40 1.00 drives. I insert my first 4k disk to no avail. I do a little reading and there some issue with a manufacureres date on the drive. That would have been ehlpful information in the lead-in post. I also dont appreciate the later post that told someone else that they did not do enough research. SO, what is enough research? Until you do enough to find it isnt compatible? Please... I blew my cash on two unnecessary drives as a direct result of this post. I implore whomever posted this to update with the "caveats" to not cause people to waste their money. I do not think I should have to read 480 posts deep to find the "oh by the way..." issues.

SO, I will ask this question again... what is a bloody 4k drive I can use with mkv.

Compatible or not?

Drive Information
OS device name: I:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: K9FD1EE4856
Firmware date: 2112-06-16 18:28
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 65

No disc inserted


Thank you.
martinav,

This drive is from 2012 and is far to old. The first post in this topic does not mention the WH14NS40 that you purchased.

The most common "UHD friendly" drives are:

ASUS BC-12D2HT (internal, manufactured 2015+)
LG WH16NS40 (SVC code: NS50 (approx late 2015+))
LG BH16NS40 (SVC code: NS50 (approx late 2015+))
ASUS BW-12B1ST (manufactured 2015+)
ASUS BW-16D1HT (manufactured 2015+)
LG BH16NS55

Good luck...

K@mpfH@mster
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:18 am

Re: UHD drives

Post by K@mpfH@mster » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Hey guys, maybe someone of you can help me. I have bought the UHD drive LG BU40N in an external case with a compatible firmware. I bought Terminator 2 UHD BRD and I cant it with Makemkv. WHat do I wrong?

st4evr
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: UHD drives

Post by st4evr » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:35 pm

K@mpfH@mster wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:11 pm
Hey guys, maybe someone of you can help me. I have bought the UHD drive LG BU40N in an external case with a compatible firmware. I bought Terminator 2 UHD BRD and I cant it with Makemkv. WHat do I wrong?
That is an “official” UHD drive. Mike has already addressed support for these types of drives in this thread:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=18346

READ that as it contains important updates and information from Mike.

martinav
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:26 am

Re: UHD drives

Post by martinav » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:52 pm

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 am
martinav wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:32 am
Oh guys. Dont do this to me. The first item in this post clearly provided a list of compatible drives. I picked up two WH14NS40 1.00 drives. I insert my first 4k disk to no avail. I do a little reading and there some issue with a manufacureres date on the drive. That would have been ehlpful information in the lead-in post. I also dont appreciate the later post that told someone else that they did not do enough research. SO, what is enough research? Until you do enough to find it isnt compatible? Please... I blew my cash on two unnecessary drives as a direct result of this post. I implore whomever posted this to update with the "caveats" to not cause people to waste their money. I do not think I should have to read 480 posts deep to find the "oh by the way..." issues.

SO, I will ask this question again... what is a bloody 4k drive I can use with mkv.

Compatible or not?

Drive Information
OS device name: I:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: K9FD1EE4856
Firmware date: 2112-06-16 18:28
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 65

No disc inserted


Thank you.
martinav,

This drive is from 2012 and is far to old. The first post in this topic does not mention the WH14NS40 that you purchased.

The most common "UHD friendly" drives are:

ASUS BC-12D2HT (internal, manufactured 2015+)
LG WH16NS40 (SVC code: NS50 (approx late 2015+))
LG BH16NS40 (SVC code: NS50 (approx late 2015+))
ASUS BW-12B1ST (manufactured 2015+)
ASUS BW-16D1HT (manufactured 2015+)
LG BH16NS55

Good luck...
Ok, yes, I concede that the WH14NS40 was not on the original list.

However, I also note the date requirement now on EVERY drive. An apparently critical detail. So, this date is a requirement on ALL of these drives now? Also, I do not see the BE16NU50, BW-12D2HT (and PRO), nor the WH126NS58 in this list either. So, are these somehow no longer compatible? Or just not as "preferred"? I cant keep blowing my money on drives. I have an ebay offer standing on a WH16NS40 that has a 2014 manuf date. It seems I need to be canceling that one now, which would been another worthless drive!

I would also like to see a new and cleaned up post outlining the best drives, and all the requirements. I would do it if I knew I had the right details.


Thank you.

st4evr
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: UHD drives

Post by st4evr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:03 am

martinav wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:52 pm
Ok, yes, I concede that the WH14NS40 was not on the original list.

However, I also note the date requirement now on EVERY drive. An apparently critical detail. So, this date is a requirement on ALL of these drives now? Also, I do not see the BE16NU50, BW-12D2HT (and PRO), nor the WH126NS58 in this list either. So, are these somehow no longer compatible? Or just not as "preferred"? I cant keep blowing my money on drives. I have an ebay offer standing on a WH16NS40 that has a 2014 manuf date. It seems I need to be canceling that one now, which would been another worthless drive!

I would also like to see a new and cleaned up post outlining the best drives, and all the requirements. I would do it if I knew I had the right details.

Thank you.
Ok let’s make this as simple for you as possible.

My best advise is to contact this guy:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=17829

He will hold your hand through the whole process. From purchase all the way to ripping. As the thread title says it, he is the original supplier for this forum of friendly drives.

The OP of this thread does not have to and most likely will not update this post to your pleasure. He might, he might not, but he does not have to in all honesty. This is a public forum with public info and the OP can do as he pleases. So, do what is within your power and contact someone who can hold your hand through this process if that is needed, so you can stop mindlessly “blowing” your money on useless drives.

Contact someone who is openly/willingly providing such a service.
Last edited by st4evr on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply