Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Markdotjames

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by Markdotjames »

Markdotjames wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:55 pm
Hi All,
I have a BH16NS40 on FW 1.03
I have dumped the firmware but I am struggling to find the clean FW to do the merge, the zippyshare link is trying to install some messenger software and that scares me, does anyone have an alternative option please?

Many Thanks in advance

Mark
Ok, I have found the clean file and ran the auto merge tool, when i run the freedos usb all i get is a ton of invalid opcode at 0101 22da etc
typing dosflash just repeats the invalid opcode...

Any thoughts please?
Markdotjames

Post by Markdotjames »

Markdotjames wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 pm
Markdotjames wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:55 pm
Hi All,
I have a BH16NS40 on FW 1.03
I have dumped the firmware but I am struggling to find the clean FW to do the merge, the zippyshare link is trying to install some messenger software and that scares me, does anyone have an alternative option please?

Many Thanks in advance

Mark
Ok, I have found the clean file and ran the auto merge tool, when i run the freedos usb all i get is a ton of invalid opcode at 0101 22da etc
typing dosflash just repeats the invalid opcode...

Any thoughts please?
Wow finally sorted and now reading UHD disks, thanks for all the hard work gone into this thread

Mark
jkeener88

Post by jkeener88 »

I got my ASUS BW-16D1HT on its way.

Obviously I won't know whether I can rip/read UHD Discs, until it is installed and I attempt it.

So just curious...

Should I always do a firmware dump of the original/initial firmware once I get it, so that in case I do need to flash the drive I won't brick it or can bring it back to its original state in case I brick it???

Obviously I hope I never brick it lol.

I mean the directions sound kinda technical, but the chance of losing $80, sorry I am a frugal kind of guy scares me.

I am sure I will have more questions once I get going into this UHD rip roaring adventure. :P
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jkeener88 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Obviously I won't know whether I can rip/read UHD Discs, until it is installed and I attempt it.

So just curious...

Should I always do a firmware dump of the original/initial firmware once I get it, so that in case I do need to flash the drive I won't brick it or can bring it back to its original state in case I brick it???

I mean the directions sound kinda technical, but the chance of losing $80, sorry I am a frugal kind of guy scares me.

I am sure I will have more questions once I get going into this UHD rip roaring adventure. :P
you need to dump the firmware or you will have a brick read the first page very carefully
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jkeener88 wrote:

So just curious...

@jkeener88,

If it's a new drive from a store it will most likely be fw 3.03, which is not UHD friendly. If you are not sure about completing the firmware downgrade yourself, there are plenty of people on here to help!

Also, depending on where you are located, some of us do offer a firmware downgrade service, where you send us your drive, we do the downgrade for you and send the drive back to you.

If you are in Australia, then I can help in that regard. If you are in the US then @Billycar11 or @jonghotti may be of assistance.

Let us know how you go once you get your drive!!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
CyberGoth

Post by CyberGoth »

Help / Advice needed.

I've just got an ASUS BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.03, now this is what this thread is about, now the troublesome parts.

ASUS BW-16D1HT drive 3.03
USB to SATA adapter
MacBook Pro
Laptop running Windows Vista

I've tried following the guide on the Vista laptop, booting into the pre-made Windows environment with the required tools. I ran DOSFLASH, but as it was connected via USB it wouldn't find the drive.
So on the MacBook, I created a virtual machine using VirtualBox linking the drive as IDE Secondary Master and then booted from an ISO version of the Windows OS. I then ran DOSFLASH and again with a slightly different result but again it was unable to read the flash.

Is there a way to downgrade the Firmware via USB or on a Mac?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

CyberGoth wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:33 pm
Help / Advice needed.

I've just got an ASUS BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.03, now this is what this thread is about, now the troublesome parts.

ASUS BW-16D1HT drive 3.03
USB to SATA adapter
MacBook Pro
Laptop running Windows Vista

I've tried following the guide on the Vista laptop, booting into the pre-made Windows environment with the required tools. I ran DOSFLASH, but as it was connected via USB it wouldn't find the drive.
So on the MacBook, I created a virtual machine using VirtualBox linking the drive as IDE Secondary Master and then booted from an ISO version of the Windows OS. I then ran DOSFLASH and again with a slightly different result but again it was unable to read the flash.

Is there a way to downgrade the Firmware via USB or on a Mac?
No needs a sata connection and ide mode
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
bboy12342002

Post by bboy12342002 »

Great Great big thanks to the OP!
Got a BW 16D1HT it came with 3.03 and using this guide I was able to downgrade to 3.01.
jkeener88

Post by jkeener88 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:29 am
jkeener88 wrote:

So just curious...

@jkeener88,

If it's a new drive from a store it will most likely be fw 3.03, which is not UHD friendly. If you are not sure about completing the firmware downgrade yourself, there are plenty of people on here to help!

Also, depending on where you are located, some of us do offer a firmware downgrade service, where you send us your drive, we do the downgrade for you and send the drive back to you.

If you are in Australia, then I can help in that regard. If you are in the US then @Billycar11 or @jonghotti may be of assistance.

Let us know how you go once you get your drive!!
I got it today and it had FW 3.01, I can watch blurays with PowerDvD 18 and I was able to rip Venom UHD at 47GB, which was almost twice as big as the Bluray rip which is pretty good since 4K is 4 times Bluray LOL!

I can't watch/play the UHD disc with the ASUS, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to, but luckily my Xbox One X can play it. Of course if there is a way to play UHD Discs on my Asus Drive that would be a plus.

Guess I got lucky. So far so good.

Some of you guys seem very helpful and friendly, which is pretty cool. Thank you with the help so far!
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jkeener88 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:41 am

I got it today and it had FW 3.01, I can watch blurays with PowerDvD 18 and I was able to rip Venom UHD at 47GB, which was almost twice and big as the Bluray rip which is pretty good since 4K is 4 times Bluray LOL!

I can't read the UHD disc with the ASUS, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to, but luckily my Xbox One X can play it. Of course if there is a way to play UHD Discs on my Asus Drive that would be a plus.

Some of you guys seem very helpful and friendly, which is pretty cool. Thank you with the help so far!
You can do direct disk playback with the Asus drive with 4k disks with vlc if you take the libmmbd.dll and put in vlc you can do the same with Kodi and probably a few others there are other options to like dvdfab player 5
jkeener88

Post by jkeener88 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:44 pm
jkeener88 wrote:

I got it today and it had FW 3.01, I can watch blurays with PowerDvD 18 and I was able to rip Venom UHD at 47GB, which was almost twice and big as the Bluray rip which is pretty good since 4K is 4 times Bluray LOL!

I can't read the UHD disc with the ASUS, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to, but luckily my Xbox One X can play it. Of course if there is a way to play UHD Discs on my Asus Drive that would be a plus.

You can do direct disk playback with the Asus drive with 4k disks with vlc if you take the libmmbd.dll and put in vlc you can do the same with Kodi and probably a few others there are other options to like dvdfab player 5
Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jkeener88 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:15 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:44 pm
jkeener88 wrote:

Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.
@jkeener88,

see thread https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 10&t=18671
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Hey is there a clean ASUS 3.03 around?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

jonghotti wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:59 am
No. The single purpose for ASUS releasing 3.03 (1.03 for LG) and newer revisions of 3.02 for some specific drives was to fix the loophole discovered as we’ve all dicussing for over a year now.

By any chance has something new surfaced on your end or you’ve seen/read something stating differently lately? :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by st4evr on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jonghotti wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:59 am
I don't have one and I haven't seen one around. Just did a quick search on here and google. No luck.

Could you create one yourself by getting a 3.03 and hexing in the sections from a clean 3.02. (basically the reverse of what the EEPROM data mover does)???