[Newbie] - which file to choose when ripping?

Everything related to MakeMKV
NotMeOssifer

[Newbie] - which file to choose when ripping?

Post by NotMeOssifer »

I'm just starting out (so may not even have the full terminology down yet) and i'm ripping my library to use with Plex. Some movies have been really straight forward - one entry so i select that, remove all the foreign audio & subtitles & rip, job done.

Others throw me and i'm not 100% sure which to select so i've just been selecting all of them. After finding this forum i want to try and find out what i should be doing so that i don't waste a bunch of time.

So let's take 2 movies i did yesterday as an example. Terminator 1 & 2 both on blu-ray.

TERMINATOR 1:

Now my thing here is that there's 2 entries, both the exact same file size, both 31 chapters. Question is, which to select?

One lists a lot of different languages and the other doesn't. I don't suppose it matters which one i select so long as i select one with my language?

Further question...

It doesn't show it in that screenshot but some times i'm seeing the second one at the exact same file size but it doesn't say (using the Terminator 1 disc as an example) 31 chapters. I'm guessing here that that would just be the movie in 1 lump rather than 31 scenes?

TERMINATOR 2:

This one stumped me really. I wasn't sure which one to rip so in the end i ripped them all.

3 files, all with the same chapter count but slightly different file sizes.

Nobody has the time to rip them all, view them all and compare the differences. I'm not really sure what the differences are so for now i'm just ripping them all. Should i just go straight for the one with the biggest file size every time?

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: [Newbie] - which file to choose when ripping?

Post by Woodstock »

Start here: What is the correct play list [insert title here]?

There are some general tips, but, in the case you have, there are multiple "cuts" of the movie, and which you chose depends on whether you want the "theatrical" or "director" cut, which vary in a few scenes.

The Info window is often more help than the selection window, because it will show the "segment map".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
NotMeOssifer

Post by NotMeOssifer »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:31 pm
Start here: What is the correct play list [insert title here]?

There are some general tips, but, in the case you have, there are multiple "cuts" of the movie, and which you chose depends on whether you want the "theatrical" or "director" cut, which vary in a few scenes.

The Info window is often more help than the selection window, because it will show the "segment map".
Thanks for the reply.

What is generally the difference between theatrical and director cut?

The DVD for example, i just stick it in the player and play. I don't get options of which 'version' i would like to see, i just stick it in, hit play & watch the movie, so i don't know what version i'm viewing really, just the one that is default.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There can be many differences in "cuts". A rather extreme example is the many versions of the original Blade Runner. In BR's case, there is a set you can buy that has all of them... spread across several disks.

Theatrical cuts are usually done to fit a particular length to keep the theater owners happy. Director's cuts can be longer or shorter, and can dramatically change the story, or just give you some additional insight into a particular character's motivation for doing what they did.

Or, it could just be because they want to sell more copies. :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rivey

Post by rivey »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:26 pm
There can be many differences in "cuts". A rather extreme example is the many versions of the original Blade Runner. In BR's case, there is a set you can buy that has all of them... spread across several disks.

Theatrical cuts are usually done to fit a particular length to keep the theater owners happy. Director's cuts can be longer or shorter, and can dramatically change the story, or just give you some additional insight into a particular character's motivation for doing what they did.

Or, it could just be because they want to sell more copies. :)
Just saw this and it applies to the fact that I am working on re-ripping my entire collection due to my own stupidity. I have the 4K version of this title that has the 4K HDR version as well as the three blue ray versions, U.S. Theatrical Cut (1982), International Theatrical Cut (1982), and the Director's Cut (1992). I have ripped all 4 cuts and can't tell the difference of the three cuts on the blue ray disc. Can anyone tell me which is the correct title for each version. I am at a loss on this one. Thanks