Direct Blu-ray playback with VLC stopped working after upgrading VLC to 3.0.5

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
galbibob

Direct Blu-ray playback with VLC stopped working after upgrading VLC to 3.0.5

Post by galbibob »

Hi,

I just would like to report that the direct blu-ray playback with VLC does not work any more after upgrading VLC to 3.0.5.
When I tried to play a blu-ray, VLC says
Blu-ray error
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
It works with VLC 2.2.4. Also, handbrake still seems to work.

Thanks.

Hardware: Mac Mini 2018 ( 3.2Ghz Intel Core i7, 8GB ram, Intel UHD Graphics 630 )
Chetwood

Re: Direct Blu-ray playback with VLC stopped working after upgrading VLC to 3.0.5

Post by Chetwood »

So... why not report this on the VLC forums where something can be done about it?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
galbibob

Re: Direct Blu-ray playback with VLC stopped working after upgrading VLC to 3.0.5

Post by galbibob »

I might be wrong but am guessing this is caused by changes in api of libaacs and libbdplus, which libmmbd emulates?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

i dont like to be that guy and be like it works for me but i just tested with 3.0.6 and i had to replace the dlls in so may be that is the problem the update got rid of the dlls this is for windows but its probably something similar on a mac
1. Install VLC and MakeMKV
2. Go to the MakeMKV installation directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV) and copy libmmbd.dll to the VLC installation directory (usually C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC) twice
3. Rename one of these copies to libaacs.dll and the other to libbdplus.dll
4. Open MakeMKV and activate it.
5. You should be able to play BDs in VLC using the Media > Open Disc > Blu-Ray function.
if this is a 4k disk make sure to uncheck disk menus
Last edited by Billycar11 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
jkeener88

Post by jkeener88 »

I did all the steps, but what happens is I can see my blue light on my drive going constantly and I can hear the disc spinning/reading. I started at 3:10 pm today and as I am writing this post it is 3:17 pm and still doing the same thing and not playing the 4K UHD Venom movie. Also on VLC there is a yellow/orange bar (looks like the light from the Knight Rider Car) going from left to right, back and forth, over and over.

It is now 3:21 pm and still the same. I had to hit the Eject button on the drive for it to stop.

VLC 32-bit Vetinari 3.0.6 is the version. On Windows 10 64-bit (Version 1809) fwiw

I then tried the Blu-ray version of Venom and now getting...

Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.

Any ideas??
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jkeener88 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:23 pm
I did all the steps, but what happens is I can see my blue light on my drive going constantly and I can hear the disc spinning/reading. I started at 3:10 pm today and as I am writing this post it is 3:17 pm and still doing the same thing and not playing the 4K UHD Venom movie. Also on VLC there is a yellow/orange bar (looks like the light from the Knight Rider Car) going from left to right, back and forth, over and over.

It is now 3:21 pm and still the same. I had to hit the Eject button on the drive for it to stop.

VLC 32-bit Vetinari 3.0.6 is the version. On Windows 10 64-bit (Version 1809) fwiw

Blu-ray error:

Any ideas??
did you put the 32bit libmmbd.dll since you have 32 bit vlc?
does your vlc directory look like this?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
jkeener88

Post by jkeener88 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 am
jkeener88 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:23 pm

Blu-ray error:

Any ideas??
did you put the 32bit libmmbd.dll since you have 32 bit vlc?
does your vlc directory look like this?
Yep, looks exactly like that.
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jkeener88 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:37 am

Yep, looks exactly like that.
idk maybe try 64 bit vlc i have that one and it works and also put the 64 bit dlls in the directory.
jkeener88

Post by jkeener88 »

Did the VLC 64 bit v3.0.6, re-did the procedure, worked like a champ.

Only tested with Blu-ray, gonna try the UHD later today and report back. Thanks for the help and advice.
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01
jkeener88

Post by jkeener88 »

jkeener88 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:58 pm
Did the VLC 64 bit v3.0.6, re-did the procedure, worked like a champ.

Only tested with Blu-ray, gonna try the UHD later today and report back. Thanks for the help and advice.
UHD 4K working too. Sweet!
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jkeener88 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:48 am
UHD 4K working too. Sweet!
nice yeah its a pretty cool feature not many people know about. menus work too for regular blurays if you have java installed.
MetalDave

Post by MetalDave »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:15 am
1. Install VLC and MakeMKV
2. Go to the MakeMKV installation directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV) and copy libmmbd.dll to the VLC installation directory (usually C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC) twice
3. Rename one of these copies to libaacs.dll and the other to libbdplus.dll
4. Open MakeMKV and activate it.
5. You should be able to play BDs in VLC using the Media > Open Disc > Blu-Ray function.
if this is a 4k disk make sure to uncheck disk menus
Okay, the Mac (and Linux) procedure are documented in the OS-specific Forums. You use a series of symbolic links to do this. The method you've documented with copying the *.dll a couple of times and renaming seems plausible for Windows. However, I didn't get direct Blu-Ray playback to work (VLC v3.0.6 64-bit and MakeMKV v1.14.3).

That said, I believe it does work with the appropriate method for Windows, but I'm confused why we don't have an OS-specific Forum for Windows and have this procedure as a sticky therein. It's entirely possible this is documented somewhere and I don't see it. (Please, someone, let me know if it is.)

I guess I've really got two questions: 1) Shouldn't we have a Window-specific Forum? and 2) What's the procedure to get VLC to work in Windows?
Support MakeMKV - Buy a license!
(Seriously, you use this thing enough; A lifetime license is well worth it.)

Thank you to all of my fellow supporters!
MetalDave

Process for Installing VLC v3.0.6 (Windows)

Post by MetalDave »

After reading my previous post, it seems clear that I was half-asleep when I wrote it. :D I figured it out, so please allow me to share my procedure.

I attempted to use the method written by @Billycar11 earlier in this thread to get VLC to play a Blu-ray disc. Unfortunately, this wasn't an automatic win. I think the disconnect is the 32-bit versus 64-bit libraries. Instead of copying "libmmbd.dll" from the MakeMKV directory, you nee to copy the "libmmbd64.dll" file (as detailed in the procedure below).
  • Install VLC v3.0.6 (vlc-3.0.6-win64.exe) and MakeMKV v1.14.3 (Setup_MakeMKV_v1.4.3.exe).
  • Activate MakeMKV with a temporary or purchased registration code.
  • Copy the libmmbd64.dll file from the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\' directory and made two duplicates in the 'C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC' directory.
  • Move the 'libaacs.dll' and 'libbdplus.dll' files out of the 'C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC' directory. You can just create another subdirectory (e.g. "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\Archive") and drop them in there.
  • Rename the two "libmmbd64.dll" duplicates to "libaacs.dll" and "libbdplus.dll" (respectively).
  • Fire-up the VLC, load a Blu-ray, and enjoy!
MakeMKV v1.14.3 for Windows is both x86 and x64 compatible, so it has libraries for both architectures.
Support MakeMKV - Buy a license!
(Seriously, you use this thing enough; A lifetime license is well worth it.)

Thank you to all of my fellow supporters!
Edworld

Post by Edworld »

I followed these steps with windows 7 and can't get it to work. Any ideas?
marqtele

Re: Process for Installing VLC v3.0.6 (Windows)

Post by marqtele »

MetalDave wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:47 am
After reading my previous post, it seems clear that I was half-asleep when I wrote it. :D I figured it out, so please allow me to share my procedure.

I attempted to use the method written by @Billycar11 earlier in this thread to get VLC to play a Blu-ray disc. Unfortunately, this wasn't an automatic win. I think the disconnect is the 32-bit versus 64-bit libraries. Instead of copying "libmmbd.dll" from the MakeMKV directory, you nee to copy the "libmmbd64.dll" file (as detailed in the procedure below).
  • Install VLC v3.0.6 (vlc-3.0.6-win64.exe) and MakeMKV v1.14.3 (Setup_MakeMKV_v1.4.3.exe).
  • Activate MakeMKV with a temporary or purchased registration code.
  • Copy the libmmbd64.dll file from the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\' directory and made two duplicates in the 'C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC' directory.
  • Move the 'libaacs.dll' and 'libbdplus.dll' files out of the 'C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC' directory. You can just create another subdirectory (e.g. "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\Archive") and drop them in there.
  • Rename the two "libmmbd64.dll" duplicates to "libaacs.dll" and "libbdplus.dll" (respectively).
  • Fire-up the VLC, load a Blu-ray, and enjoy!
MakeMKV v1.14.3 for Windows is both x86 and x64 compatible, so it has libraries for both architectures.
Thank you! I've tried everything to get VLC to work with Blu-rays, and this FINALLY did the trick.