No longer able to read encryption keys

Everything related to MakeMKV
RonRN18

No longer able to read encryption keys

Post by RonRN18 »

I've been using MakeMKV for at least a couple years now but yesterday, it stopped being able to open Blu-ray discs. I do not know what happened or why it stopped working. It makes an AACS Dump file but ends with:

Code: Select all

The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
I have tried this with several discs, including ones I've already used MakeMKV on. I'm not sure what got FUBAR'd. I tried to uninstall MakeMKV and re-install it. I even wiped all mentions in the registry of its existence before re-installing, but no luck.
Woodstock

Re: No longer able to read encryption keys

Post by Woodstock »

Have you read this yet? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18811
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Kubek

Post by Kubek »

Same here.
A few days ago I copied several UHD discs. In general, I made about one hundred copies of my UHD's, so I'm rather familiar with MakeMKV.
Today, MakeMKV freezes my computer completely every time I try to copy to mkv - same with UHD and BD discs. I replaced the drive (spare Asus BW161HT), reinstalled MakeMKV - nothing helped. After a MakeMKV recognize the disc, when I click the drive icon in the middle of the interface, the program starts to open the disc and freezes, and the computer stops responding completely. Only a hard reboot restores the computer to work. Strange..

Ok, Woodstock replied with the link while I was writing my reply.
RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

Thanks... I guess I was using the wrong keywords in my search but that is exactly what my issue was. Having done absolutely NOTHING different, after seeing that discussion, I tried one more time and strangely, it started working again as normal... at least for one disc so far.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The forum search won't let you look for words shorter than 4 characters, so "UHD", "BD", and "KEY" are invisible. Sometimes you have to visit google to search. :roll:
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging