White horizontal lines on top of rip

Everything related to MakeMKV
bvrulez

White horizontal lines on top of rip

Post by bvrulez »

I ripped first season of The Wire DVD and they all look like this with the white lines on the very top of the picture (and just there) moving/changing over time. Do I have to crop every file or is there a setup in MakeMKV I could change? Sorry, I did not pick the best scene to fotograph.
Attachments
20190127_182503.jpg
20190127_182503.jpg (352.14 KiB) Viewed 7439 times
bvrulez

Re: White horizontal lines on top of rip

Post by bvrulez »

Better picture
Attachments
20190127_221501.jpg
20190127_221501.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 7429 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I think you're referring to the "combing" effect from viewing interlaced video on a progressive monitor. VLC can optionally attempt to remove the interlacing effects, and if you recode the video with handbrake, it can use a number of different filters to fight the combing.

But MakeMKV doesn't do video encoding, so your DVD-sourced MKV files will retain the interlaced video.

Most (but not all!) Bluray sources are progressive, rather than interlaced, video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

I think the lines/dots are the timecode (changes very fast, right?) from the old analog recording area. Old analog TVs did not show it, because the overscan (some lines are shown outside of the screen) removes it. This is a mastering error, the timecode should not be part of the picture on DVD or whatever. The only way to remove it, is the crop function with handbrake.
Good Luck :)

Post by bvrulez »

thanks both for answering! yes it is probably the time code. it moves not all the time, but when it does it moves fast.