Rip speed 0,3x - once it was faster... [solved]

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mister_music

Rip speed 0,3x - once it was faster... [solved]

Post by mister_music »

Dear All,

first of all I want to thank the team for a great piece of software - if my problem will be solved one way or the other I will for sure buy the post-beta version!

My first tests with makemky 1.5.6 on my Win XP system were successfull: BD rip speed approx. 2 - 4x (I can't remember exactly, but speed was sufficient). After ripping a few BD's, the speed significantly dropped to 0,3x, i.e. 6 hours for a standard BD rip, just the main movie.
I noticed that on my dual core, one core is relaxing at 10% load, the other one runs amok at >90% load.

Some ideas/questions:
- Driver problem?
- I don't know if the change to makemkv 1.5.8. made a change?
- BD-ROM defect (although most rips are ok from quality point)?
- Background application problem (I already disabled Avira Anti-Vir, without effect)?

Reinstalling just makemkv didn't help.
Before reinstalling Windows and makemkv completely, I'd like to give other suggestions a try...

System data:
Athlon 4850 dual-core at 2,5 GHz
790GX chipset
4GB RAM
LG GGC-H20L BD-ROM
Win XP SP3
No AnyDVD or similar installed.

Thanks for your support!

Rolf
Last edited by mister_music on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skittle

Re: Rip speed 0,3x - once it was faster...

Post by skittle »

You can try a linux live distribution, or put it on a flash drive then try linux version of makemkv to rule out hardware issue.
mister_music

Post by mister_music »

Thanks for the fast answer, but since I do not have any experience with Linux, this will be a timesucking job anyway, even with the guides and help in this forum...
I'll give it a try as soon as I have some hours off from my family.

Rolf
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Since you're running XP, it's possible/likely that your drive has been switched from DMA mode to PIO mode. If so, do the following:

In the Device Manager (via the Control Panel>>System>>Hardware>>Device Manager), you simply have to remove the applicable IDE channel (Click on "IDE...Controllers") and let your computer reset it to DMA as follows:
Right click on the pertinent channel in Device Manager
Click on uninstall
Reboot
After rebooting go back to Device Manager and change the setting to "DMA if available"...

lochnar

Post by lochnar »

Not to jack the thread, but I have to say I have the same issue. Everything was groovy until the 1.5.8 update. Now I run at 0.7x and it takes about 4 hours to rip a BD, so something is going on. No DMA issues for me as I'm using SATA. No settings changes between 1.5.6 and 1.5.8. Also running XP Pro SP3 with an LG CH08LS10 drive.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@lochnar

Hi!

At the risk of sounding contrary, if you click on the following link you'll find many postings about DMA/PIO problems specifically regarding SATA drives:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sata%2Bp ... age=1&rlz=

lochnar

Post by lochnar »

Naw... I think it may be my drive. I put it on my Mac and had the same problem. I'm taking the BD-ROM from my Mac and hooking it to my Win PC in a few minutes.

UPDATE: It's the drive.... crap! I guess it's been too heavily used. :)
mister_music

Post by mister_music »

@ setarip_old

Man, you're great! My drive is working at 3,5x speed again, system load dropped to 20%!
I never would have expected PIO-Mode problems with SATA, but that was it.

Thank you all very much for your help!

Happy again,

Rolf
setarip_old

Re: Rip speed 0,3x - once it was faster... [solved]

Post by setarip_old »

Man, you're great!
Glad to hear it worked for you ;>}