[OPINION] Price is too high

Everything related to MakeMKV
eqpaisley

[OPINION] Price is too high

Post by eqpaisley »

First off, I think MakeMKV is a great piece of software. It does one job, it does it reliably, bravo to the developer.

I've used the ongoing free key for a long time - every few months I think "this is great software, I should really support the creator by buying it" -- then I click through and I am reminded that it's $50. At $25 - even $29.99 probably - I would have made the purchase long ago.

You can get entire video editing suites for less than $50. And there are good DVD ripping options as well.

For a program that is so basic in UI and functionality, I would imagine $25 is the right price point.

THIS ISN'T A COMPLAINT - I'm not spending the money so it doesn't matter to me. And, honestly, I don't some junked up UI or a ton of extra features. But as a message to the person who created this about your business model - I think if you had a lower price point (or a couple of times a year you put out a discount code? I don't know) you might see a lot more click-throughs and purchases.

Again, just my 2 cents. Great program, grateful it's available.
Woodstock

Re: [OPINION] Price is too high

Post by Woodstock »

If you think the price is too high, then continue to use it for free, and putting up with having to get a new key every 60 days.

Your choice on the value.

And you're entirely welcome to compare it in value to other packages that have annual contracts.

However, most people who claim that the price is too high would complain if it was $5, because they don't want to buy it anyway (you've admitted that much already). It just looks "cooler" to say you'd buy it if the author cheapens it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

There's a thesis opportunity here... the Kübler-Ross model, as it applies to the expiration of the MakeMKV beta key?
eqpaisley

Post by eqpaisley »

Not understanding what Wood is saying? I'd buy it for $25 -- might even buy it for $50 at some point. I'm making a point about marketing and maximizing sales (something I do in my day to day business life). Was actually trying to help the developer.
eqpaisley

Post by eqpaisley »

d00zah wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:53 pm
There's a thesis opportunity here... the Kübler-Ross model, as it applies to the expiration of the MakeMKV beta key?
Anger, denial, bargaining, depression, PURCHASE? The 5 stages of capitalistic grief?
afriman

Post by afriman »

However, most people who claim that the price is too high would complain if it was $5, because they don't want to buy it anyway (you've admitted that much already). It just looks "cooler" to say you'd buy it if the author cheapens it
Without wanting to be confrontational, I think this comment is somewhat unfair. Where has the OP "admitted that much already"? I think his/her point is very valid. I have to use a currency which is weak against the US dollar, and for me $50 is just too much to allow me to purchase this excellent (but simple) piece of software without hesitation. I fully support trialware and if I find a particular piece of software useful and fair-priced, I am very happy to pay for it. At $25 or $30, I would have purchased MakeMKV long ago.
Please do not regard this as negative criticism. I am a huge admirer of your software and I appreciate the ongoing work you put into it. I am just stating my view on the appropriateness of the price. It would be interesting to know what others think.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

eqpaisley wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:58 pm
Anger, denial, bargaining, depression, PURCHASE? The 5 stages of capitalistic grief?
A variation on the model, but sure, it could catch on.

These appeals have cropped up occasionally over the years, but to date, the pricing model has remained unchanged. And now MakeMKV is on the verge of fully supporting UHD... something other tools charge MUCH more for, yet people still quibble over the cost. I personally found the price more than reasonable (even w/out UHD) , tho opinions clearly vary.
eqpaisley

Post by eqpaisley »

Yup. And the market will decide what's fair. It's great software. At some point, the free key will go away for good and people will have to make a choice (like Filebot which I happily bought for $20). I think that choice is a slam dunk easy decision at $25 and a little tougher at $50. But, as you say, everyone will feel differently.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Well this is certainly the first post to claim the price is too high. :lol:
TheTerrorBeyond

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

OPINION: Keep using the beta then. Those of us with ethics have paid for the program, as it takes a lot of work and time for the developer to update the application, and we use it all the time.
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.
mreedelp2

Post by mreedelp2 »

Think of it like this:

Use the beta for free. The developer obviously does not have a problem with this. I started using this program back in 2012 and used the beta until I paid $50 in 2017. I've ripped more than 4,000 movies and TV shows since 2012. I've gotten my money's worth. Your usage may impact how you feel about paying $50.

Also think about this: The developer provides updates several times each year. As a beta user, you have access to these updates, no questions asked. As a paid user, you have access to these updates, no further payment needed.

Having finally paid after using the beta program for 5 years, I feel I have gotten my $50 worth. And since I will get periodic updates with no further charge for the life of the product, the price model is great.

An alternative free program is Handbrake. It has different bells and whistles. I've tried it. Yes, it compacts your output file, but it can take 3-4 times as long to rip one title than MakeMKV. I've found my time is more valuable than the cost of more hard drive space.

One last thing, what software developer doesn't make you pay for a new license after some 3 or 4 year period by discontinuing support for the version you paid for, which ultimately dooms your use of the software? Not this software's developer.
afriman

Post by afriman »

TheTerrorBeyond wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:47 pm
Those of us with ethics have paid for the program
Your statement implies that those who use the beta are "without ethics". It's difficult to see what can be unethical in opting for a usage model which is explicitly offered and supported by the developer, and is therefore entirely legitimate. A bit of a contradiction in terms, is it not?
afriman

Post by afriman »

I fully agree with everything mreedelp2 says. However, from my perspective this is not really about what the software is "worth". I for one have probably gotten far more than $50's worth from my use of it.

More than anything else, it's a psychological issue. For many of us, $50 seems like a lot to fork out for a simple (but well developed) piece of software. This would be even more so for relatively infrequent users. Perhaps the developer would consider a third option, which falls between the two that are currently available. It could take the following form:

Option 1: The current free option, which involves the slight inconvenience of periodically having to fetch and apply a new key and then restarting the program.
Option 2: Allow the user, after a month of free evaluation, to pay a small amount (say $10) per year for full use of the software, as though they had made the one-time purchase of $50.The amount and the time period are obviously just examples; there probably are better options.
Option 3: The current option of making a $50 once-off payment for lifetime use.

I suspect that Option 2 would look attractive to many users, especially if they are not sure that they'll continue using the software for more than five years. I think many beta users would go for this simply to avoid the slight nuisance associated with free usage, as well as feeling good about supporting the developer. It's a model that has become quite common. For instance, I'm sure Microsoft has to contend with a lot less piracy since they started making it possible for users to "rent" their software at a very affordable rate although they might very well end up paying a lot more than they would have by simply "buying" the software once and for all.

In my own case, the following would happen: first, I would be attracted to option 2. Then, I would realize that I'm a frequent user who will probably keep using the software for years to come, so that Option 3 is clearly more economical. So I would be "persuaded" to pay $50 much more readily than I would have as things now stand. As I said, it's psychology. I would have been motivated to think more carefully about the available options. I don't have any statistics to back my theory, but to me it only seems logical and perhaps worth a try.
rivey

Post by rivey »

And lets not forget the new UHD keys that have to be done every time there is a new release. We just submit the output file to Mike and then within a short while, we can decrypt that new release disk. And we are never charged for this service either. I bought my license within weeks of starting to use the program because I knew it was a great deal at a great price. Also, it is not Mike's fault that the exchange rate is not great where you live. It is what it is and there is nothing that Mike can do about that. As for lowering the price, I would recommend AGAINST that. It is a more than fair price when you take into consideration all that is required to maintain this fine program. Just one man's opinion.
Bob Ivey
afriman

Post by afriman »

rivey wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 pm
Also, it is not Mike's fault that the exchange rate is not great where you live.
I wasn't for a moment implying that it's his fault. Just pointing out another obstacle.