Doctor Who - The Collection (new BBC copy protection?)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
doctorbat

Doctor Who - The Collection (new BBC copy protection?)

Post by doctorbat »

I'm experiencing some problems with many of the newest Doctor Who releases on Blu-ray. I think the BBC have a new kind of copy protection that means MakeMKV can't open them up. The Power of the Daleks from 2016 works fine, for example, but discs like Shada and The Collection seasons 12 and 19 can't be opened at all to be ripped.

Handbrake has also failed me. Is anyone else experiencing these issues with newer BBC releases? :?:
Woodstock

Re: Doctor Who - The Collection (new BBC copy protection?)

Post by Woodstock »

Insufficient information to give an answer. Are you getting error messages? Have you checked the things listed in the "if you're having ripping problems" topic? Have you followed the instructions in the FAQ in my signature, to enable debug logging?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
morbius

Post by morbius »

What drive are you using? My main drive is an Asus BW-16D1HT on factory-fitted 3.00 firmware and it's ripped all of S12 without a glitch. I just tried the first disc from S19 and makemkv opened it without blinking.

Up to around two years ago, I was using a Pioneer blu-ray drive for ripping duties and all was well until one day I came across a series of Merlin on blu-ray that the drive simply would not recognise as the disc as even being loaded. Not a single disc from the box set would be detected by any application. On a whim I ordered the Asus and it opened the problem discs straight away. I did not know then what a good investment that would turn out to be in terms of UHD functionality. I also have an Asus BC-12D2HT in reserve on UHD-friendly firmware and that too is excellent.
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

I ripped Shada but not 100% successfully as at 1:31:58 the sound/video sync issue occurs. DVD plays fine with VLC and a stand-alone player but ripping it caused the problem, attempting multiple drives.

This DVD contains the animated webcast version and may be newer than the one noted here.
chrisnewbold

Post by chrisnewbold »

Hi everyone

Assuming I can decrypt these, how are you all encoding with handbrake, if you are? And managing to preserve the pal tv studio look?

On DW DVDs before I used the BOB setting but doesn’t seem to work from the Blu-ray Rips?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

BOB is used when the source is interlaced; the BDs should not be. At least, the ones I've received were mastered as progressive.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
renfield

Post by renfield »

dmitche3 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:43 pm
I ripped Shada but not 100% successfully as at 1:31:58 the sound/video sync issue occurs. DVD plays fine with VLC and a stand-alone player but ripping it caused the problem, attempting multiple drives.

This DVD contains the animated webcast version and may be newer than the one noted here.
Do you mean BD? Discussion here is about BD.

I just had a look at Shada (BD Steelbook). The main title is combination live action/animation. I ripped it with 1.15.1 on Mac Catalina. I didn't notice any sync problem at 1:31:58 or thereabouts. There is a sync problem at around 2:05:00. At around 2:03:24 the movie switches from live action to animated and around 2:05:00 is in the animated section. There is pretty severe lipsync issue with the audio too far ahead of the video. It is the same when playing the BD directly using Blu-Ray Player Pro software. I don't have a way to play on a standalone BD player to test that.

Later on, in the same animated segment, the lip sync problem goes away. I only looked at a dozen random small samples of the movie, to look for such errors.

The entire movie is a single m2ts, no seamless branching of multiple segments.

It seems clear that this is a mastering problem, or even an original source problem.

I then looked at the animated webcast version. This is on disc 3 of the BD Steelbook. 1:31:58 is about the start of episode 5. I only watched the first couple minutes. The [animated] actors lips don't move in that version. The audio cues however seem to be accurate. eg, I notice that when K-9 speaks they switch to a closeup of him, in good sync. Same for other actor speaking parts. Explosion at 1:34:20 is spot on.
chrisnewbold

Post by chrisnewbold »

As an update to this I'm all ripping the Collection for streaming via home sharing onto apple tv. I'v had no issues using make mkv to decrypt, but see my other post her - I've had a new issue recently. I think its specific to my drive though
I've found the best handbrake setting is 1080p with a few mods.
Decomb BOB seems to be needed to ensure the video stuff looks interlaced. Frame rate same as source. RF 20.
w0x0f

Post by w0x0f »

I'm getting a "Fatal Error" with both discs in the new "Doctor Who - The Series 13 Specials", with 1.17.2 and 1.16.7. Curiously, 1.15.4, same disc, same drive, seems to be working.