Doctor Who - The Collection (new BBC copy protection?)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
doctorbat

Doctor Who - The Collection (new BBC copy protection?)

Post by doctorbat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:26 pm

I'm experiencing some problems with many of the newest Doctor Who releases on Blu-ray. I think the BBC have a new kind of copy protection that means MakeMKV can't open them up. The Power of the Daleks from 2016 works fine, for example, but discs like Shada and The Collection seasons 12 and 19 can't be opened at all to be ripped.

Handbrake has also failed me. Is anyone else experiencing these issues with newer BBC releases? :?:

Woodstock

Re: Doctor Who - The Collection (new BBC copy protection?)

Post by Woodstock » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:44 pm

Insufficient information to give an answer. Are you getting error messages? Have you checked the things listed in the "if you're having ripping problems" topic? Have you followed the instructions in the FAQ in my signature, to enable debug logging?
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

morbius

Re: Doctor Who - The Collection (new BBC copy protection?)

Post by morbius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:23 pm

What drive are you using? My main drive is an Asus BW-16D1HT on factory-fitted 3.00 firmware and it's ripped all of S12 without a glitch. I just tried the first disc from S19 and makemkv opened it without blinking.

Up to around two years ago, I was using a Pioneer blu-ray drive for ripping duties and all was well until one day I came across a series of Merlin on blu-ray that the drive simply would not recognise as the disc as even being loaded. Not a single disc from the box set would be detected by any application. On a whim I ordered the Asus and it opened the problem discs straight away. I did not know then what a good investment that would turn out to be in terms of UHD functionality. I also have an Asus BC-12D2HT in reserve on UHD-friendly firmware and that too is excellent.