Need help with audio track on Star Wars blu-ray movies

Everything related to MakeMKV
eagle63

Need help with audio track on Star Wars blu-ray movies

Post by eagle63 »

Hey guys, probably a newb question here but I'm having trouble getting the correct audio track on any of my Star Wars blu-ray discs. The problem is the audio track contains some guy "narrating" everything that's happening. (and by narrating, I mean he's describing everything that's happening on the screen including the color of the fonts used in the opening crawl)

I've never seen this before in a DVD or Blu-Ray, but basically it seems like a feature that would be used by a blind person to watch one of these movies. Anyway, I obviously don't want that - just the "normal" english audio track. In MakeMKV, my (english) audio track options are the DTS-MA lossless track, a regular DTS track, a 5.1 DD track, and a couple of "DD 2.0" tracks. (I assume those are stereo tracks?) Since I'm going to be re-muxing the resulting MKV file into a WTV file for use with windows media center, neither the DTS-MA nor the DTS tracks will work. So I've been choosing the DD 5.1 track but again, that always seems to contain the narration.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? I've been googling this and I don't see anyone else mentioning this problem. Is the DTS-MA track the only one that contains the normal (non-narrated) audio? Thanks in advance..
robpdotcom

Re: Need help with audio track on Star Wars blu-ray movies

Post by robpdotcom »

The DTS-MA and DTS tracks are the ones you want.

Since you have to use ac3, I would select the DTS-MA, and convert it to ac3 with eac3to. That will give you an ac3 track with the highest quality possible.
eagle63

Post by eagle63 »

Thanks for the tip. I actually ended up just ripping the disc using dvdFab, then used Handbrake to convert it to an MKV. Handbrake seemed to have also transcoded the DTS-MA track down to AC3 so all is working now.
Loominal

Post by Loominal »

I'm having a VERY similar problem. Could someone please help? I'm having issues getting Proper Sound to work 2 / Alien Subtitles "Forced" but not forced.....

When I run MakeMKV i get multiple options for "angles" (1-9) So I choose Angle 1 which is english.

ok np..

But then when i get sound options i get
DTS-HD MA Surround- 6.1
DTS Surround 5.1 (ends up being DTS-ES in MKVToolNix)
DD Surround 5.1 (ends up being AC-3 in MKVToolNix - Which is Descriptive audio for blind)
2 Stereo - DD Stereo English - which are 2 different version of commentators on the movie, one for directors and the others for Actors.

My Problem is that When i select only the first 2 DTS Files to "rip" I get no sound on the output file.
I saw here that you can use Handbrake and goto Audio and set it to AC3 with a bitrate of ?
But does this bring the audio back? Whats the best way to get this audio working where it's not mute?

I also get MULTIPLE ENGLISH subtitles: (that look like this)
PGS English
- PGS English Forced Only

Then 9 Other languages with Forced Only
PGS Spanish, French, French, Dutch, Portuguese, Finish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish
THEN again 2 English w/ Forced Only
PGS English
PGS English

Then 16 More Languages with Forced Only again
PGS - Spanish, Spanish, French, French, Dutch, Dutch, Portuguese, Portuguese, Finnish, Finnish, Swedish, Swedish, Norwegian, Norwegian, Danish, Danish,
Then Back to 3 MORE English Subtitles
PGS English
PGS English
PGS English

Now From what I'm reading some of these Subtitles include Names of Actors at the top as they play. I don't want these.
Some of these are for the Commentators on Stereo Sound.

What i can't figure out how to find is the one i need for Alien speak without names at the top.... AND to make it "Forced" during the movie even though What i want is not forced audio.

From everything i've been able to google. the Correct Subtitle file for Star Wars for the Aliens speaking is not a "Forced Subtitle" it's a regular one. If thats the case how do i find which one.. AND THEN make it forced so that it plays when on my plex server.

My Normal Process is to MakeMKV a movie, Then Handbrake it and then move it into a folder for plex to pickup.

Any Help with this process for these 6 movies on blue ray would be amazing.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Loominal wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:44 pm
But then when i get sound options i get
DTS-HD MA Surround- 6.1
DTS Surround 5.1 (ends up being DTS-ES in MKVToolNix)
DD Surround 5.1 (ends up being AC-3 in MKVToolNix - Which is Descriptive audio for blind)
2 Stereo - DD Stereo English - which are 2 different version of commentators on the movie, one for directors and the others for Actors.

My Problem is that When i select only the first 2 DTS Files to "rip" I get no sound on the output file.
I saw here that you can use Handbrake and goto Audio and set it to AC3 with a bitrate of ?
But does this bring the audio back? Whats the best way to get this audio working where it's not mute?
Looks like that you have no DTS compatible equipment. You can convert it with Handbarke in DD (AC-3) (both the same, AC-3 means Audio Coding 3). Not sure if MakeMKV can do this, never used this feature.
AND to make it "Forced" during the movie even though What i want is not forced audio.
Once more, the "Forced" track created by MakeMKV holds only "Forced flagged subtitles" from the selected subtitle track. If non subtile (a single subtitle) has set this flag, the forced track is empty and removed. There are many other threads in the forum with samples to explain the different subtitle track usage types and what is written to the "forced" subtitle track by MakeMKV.
If thats the case how do i find which one..
Select a scene with Alien speaking and try the different tracks. Other option is to extract the subtitle tracks (MKVTools or mkvextract from the MkvToolNix package) and view them with f.e "BD Sup2Sub" (Java tool). Late you can use "MkvToolNIX GUI" to reorder and emove tracks, and remuxx the mkv file.
Good Luck :)

Post by Loominal »

Thanks Grauhaar

I ended up using Handbreak to Change it to AC3 "THEN" selecting 5.1 from dolby audio II. This gave the original 5.1 sound i was looking for. Otherwise just changing it to AC3 left it stereo..

I just used trial and error to find which subtitle and used NikTools to set which subtitle to "default / Forced" then it works when the movie starts.

Took awhile but finally the whole star wars set is done... arg.