I need advice.

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Drivinfast247

I need advice.

Post by Drivinfast247 »

I've browsed and read many threads on this forum but I still have not found and exact answer.

My situation: I have a growing collection of 4k UHD Blu-Ray discs. I want to rip them to a storage device and make them able to stream via WiFi to Apple TV 4th Gen 4k and Nvidia Shield(latest model), or whatever will work best. I want HDR and the full lossless audio file so I can use my ATMOS sound system. I will only be streaming to the TVs in my home(no PCs). My router is Linksys AC4000 and all devices have full signal strength.

What will I need to allow this? Simple as that.

I am in the process of building a small server for Roon and Plex(photos). This build consists of an Intel i3-8100, 8gb RAM. Will this be enough to stream the 4k HDR, ATMOS to Shield/Apple TV? If not, what is needed?

My main PC is a Ryzen 7 2700x with a RTX2080 and 16gb RAM. I do not want to have to use this as the server.

P.S. I have read and I believe I understand how to do the ripping. I have already sent a request for a pre-flashed drive from a forum member. I just need to know if what I'm asking is possible before making a purchase.

Thank you for your time,
Pete
mike admin

Re: I need advice.

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV + Nvidia shield + SPMC. That's it :)
Drivinfast247

Post by Drivinfast247 »

mike admin wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:09 pm
Thank you!
Loominal

Post by Loominal »

mike admin wrote:
Bingo

Not tell you how to do it, cause clearly it's your choice. But,

I would say, if you don't care to much about a small loss in quality, Handbraking the large mkv / mp4 file Makemkv leaves isn't a bad idea. You get very minimal loss for such a HUGE reduction in file size. Clearly this is personal opinion. But i would try it on one or 2 movies to see if you even notice. The Space savings is incredible. Just trying to help.. if you really don't want any loss on anything and are happy with 30-50Gig file sizes then nevermind :)
Drivinfast247

Post by Drivinfast247 »

I was actually able to use the Plex app without issue.
Drivinfast247

Post by Drivinfast247 »

Loominal wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:11 pm
mike admin wrote:
Bingo

Not tell you how to do it, cause clearly it's your choice. But,

I would say, if you don't care to much about a small loss in quality, Handbraking the large mkv / mp4 file Makemkv leaves isn't a bad idea. You get very minimal loss for such a HUGE reduction in file size. Clearly this is personal opinion. But i would try it on one or 2 movies to see if you even notice. The Space savings is incredible. Just trying to help.. if you really don't want any loss on anything and are happy with 30-50Gig file sizes then nevermind :)
My PC for this is an i3-8100 no GPU and 8GB RAM. Handbrake would probably take a while. Maybe I'll xfer a rip over to my gaming PC and give Handbrake a try. It has a Ryzen 2700X, 16gb RAM and RTX 2080.
yorick

Post by yorick »

Drivinfast247 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:13 am
I'd expect you would. You're direct streaming, not transcoding.

That i3-8100 has a Passmark of 8000, and built-in graphics. I'd expect you to be able to - just - transcode one 4k stream using CPU, should you want to stream to mobile. If your Plex is set up to support hw transcode - that depends on OS and requires Plexpass - then I'd expect more than one stream.

I'm running a home server with Plex on FreeNAS over here, but with a Xeon 1230 v6. That i3 looks nice. I don't know that I gained much by going with a Xeon. Edit: Well I gained being able to build now rather than a year down the line. X11SCH-F isn't available yet in the US; X11SSH-F is.
Drivinfast247

Post by Drivinfast247 »

yorick wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:29 pm
Drivinfast247 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:13 am
I'd expect you would. You're direct streaming, not transcoding.

That i3-8100 has a Passmark of 8000, and built-in graphics. I'd expect you to be able to - just - transcode one 4k stream using CPU, should you want to stream to mobile. If your Plex is set up to support hw transcode - that depends on OS and requires Plexpass - then I'd expect more than one stream.

I'm running a home server with Plex on FreeNAS over here, but with a Xeon 1230 v6. That i3 looks nice. I don't know that I gained much by going with a Xeon. Edit: Well I gained being able to build now rather than a year down the line. X11SCH-F isn't available yet in the US; X11SSH-F is.
The i3-8100 was not up to the task of transcoding the video file. I bought an i5-8400 and it barely does the job.
yorick

Post by yorick »

Drivinfast247 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:45 pm
The i3-8100 was not up to the task of transcoding the video file. I bought an i5-8400 and it barely does the job.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm a little surprised. One, there shouldn't be any transcode when streaming to a 4k HDR output device; two, when streaming to mobile, wouldn't the hw transcode take care of it? Did the Plex server show you that hw transcode was on?

At any rate, you got it solved, which is good.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The Plex server on the shield can use hardware transcoding. It's what I use for my Plex server with content ripped to my nas. Works great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Malachor

Post by Malachor »

Drivinfast247 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:47 pm
I've browsed and read many threads on this forum but I still have not found and exact answer.

My situation: I have a growing collection of 4k UHD Blu-Ray discs. I want to rip them to a storage device and make them able to stream via WiFi to Apple TV 4th Gen 4k and Nvidia Shield(latest model), or whatever will work best. I want HDR and the full lossless audio file so I can use my ATMOS sound system. I will only be streaming to the TVs in my home(no PCs). My router is Linksys AC4000 and all devices have full signal strength.

What will I need to allow this? Simple as that.

I am in the process of building a small server for Roon and Plex(photos). This build consists of an Intel i3-8100, 8gb RAM. Will this be enough to stream the 4k HDR, ATMOS to Shield/Apple TV? If not, what is needed?

My main PC is a Ryzen 7 2700x with a RTX2080 and 16gb RAM. I do not want to have to use this as the server.

P.S. I have read and I believe I understand how to do the ripping. I have already sent a request for a pre-flashed drive from a forum member. I just need to know if what I'm asking is possible before making a purchase.

Thank you for your time,
Pete

this is my problem i want to watch my movies (blu Ray and 4k) anywhere, not sure what cpu i need for this task.