HiDPI support

Everything related to MakeMKV
pleaseking

HiDPI support

Post by pleaseking »

Hi,

I have just started using makemkv and it is an awesome tool. However, there is one issue - the program does not support HiDPI making it very hard to use on modern displays. Any chance to fix that? I can help if needed.

Thanks,
Michael
wmcclain

Re: HiDPI support

Post by wmcclain »

Can you say more about this?

What you want is not part of the metadata found on DVD, Blu-ray, UHD, is it? MakeMKV can't do anything about that.
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

I believe he’s referring to how the app appears on his “retina” display not the Makemkv output. :wink:
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
pleaseking

Post by pleaseking »

wmcclain wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:53 pm
Can you say more about this?
I am saying about how the UI looks - nothing about the output. See the screenshot below - the OS fonts/icons are all normal size, but MakeMKV fonts are way too small:
Screenshot demonstrating the problem
Screenshot demonstrating the problem
makemkv.png (293.97 KiB) Viewed 10403 times
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Hmm, the size of the icons and text looks very very large. I use a Eizo IPS 27" Monitor with 2560x1440px and windows 100% scaling for text and apps. Compared with your screenshot my icons and text has a normal size and MakeMKV looks good. I think you have changed the scaling in windows and this is always a bad idea. Never seen in the past, that this gives good results because some fonts are looking strange if the scaling is increased.
Good Luck :)

Post by jinx100 »

I use a 40 inch 4K TV as my monitor. I could feed it 1K from my computer but the Windows text is much less blocky if I set the resolution to 4K and scaling to 200%. Some programs like MakeMKV show tiny icons in this arrangement. Strange looking but MakeMKV still works well.

Leaving the resolution at 4K but setting the scaling to 100% makes Windows icons and text so tiny I can only read it at 1-2 feet from the screen.
themacks

Post by themacks »

I've been having the same problem and finally came to a workaround.

Under the program properties in Windows Explorer, go to the compatibility tab and select "Change high DPI settings". The option that worked for me was to override the the high DPI scaling behavior with the "System (Enhanced)" option.