MakeMKV , reliable and stable for ripping ?

Everything related to MakeMKV
s8n187

MakeMKV , reliable and stable for ripping ?

Post by s8n187 »

hi members , i just got done ripping all of my DVD Movies (about 110) and have started DVD TV Shows with DVDFab 9. The method i used was MKV Passthrough , i sat down at one point and watched a few scenes of A Nightmare On Elm Street 5 and found the audio was hugely out of sync. So i tried a few more movies and the same , i googled and apparently with DVDFab it's a common problem/bug.

so i need to start over and rip everything again , my question is is MakeMKV reliable and stable enough to get my project done ?

chat soon
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV , reliable and stable for ripping ?

Post by Woodstock »

DVDFab adds a wildcard factor here. Is the audio out of sync when MakeMKV creates the MKV file, or only after DVDFab re-encodes it?

MakeMKV doesn't require DVDFab, and DVDFab doesn't require MakeMKV. Both can read DVDs directly, and they can interfere with each other. I'm confused as to why you would try to run them together.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
s8n187

Post by s8n187 »

hi Woodstock i was hoping you would chime in. Ok i used DVDFab on it's own and used the MKV Passthrough mode (no re-encoding , untouched video and audio). After 7 days and 110 movies later i realized the audio was out of sync , it's a common problem going by googling. I should say i tried these MKV's on my OPPO and MPC-BE (Madvr/LAVfilters).

so i am looking for a new piece of software to rip my DVD's to MKV (no re-encoding , untouched video and audio). I just wanted to know what the community and higher up members thought of MakeMKV and if i should use it , reliable and stable ?

keep rockin
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I've been using MakeMKV since 2010, so I consider it (with a few exceptional versions long gone) to be quite stable. Back in the early days, there were some disks that didn't rip well (not all tracks found), but that was then, this is now.

MakeMKV tries very hard to keep audio and video in sync, so the main problem I've had with the resulting MKV files is when I play them on an android device... The built-in player slowly falls out of sync when playing MKV files, but not MP4 files. So I use handbrake to encode both a full-featured MKV file, and a crippled-to-make-it-work MP4 file for those devices that can't handle MKV well.

I've never used DVDFAB, so I can't comment directly on it, but there are a number of users here that use it regularly.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rivey

Post by rivey »

I have been using MakeMKV for a little over a year now and have had no problem with the files. I have DVD's, Blu-Ray's, and UHD's and they all playback flawlessly. I have recently (for the last 3 or 4 months) been buying quite a few DVD's from the 40's a 50's (movies made in that time frame and only available on DVD) and they are flawless.

I rip all my disks to my Plex server as MKV's and then play them back with my Roku boxes and also with my nVidia Shield TV box. in all cases I have Plex running on the box's and the sound sync's perfectly. I also play them on my PC with VLC media player again with no problems. I should point out that I do not process the files after ripping them since my goal is to keen them as original as possible. Unlike many others who process their MKV's into smaller files. I guess you could call me a purist of sorts but that is why I have a FreeNAS server with over 20 TB of usable space. I should also note that those such as Woodstock who do process their files to a small file size have never posted about sync issues.

If I were you, I would rip a few with MakeMKV and then check your results. I think you will see a good difference with just MakeMKV.. If this solves your problems, I would also suggest buying a paid registration. Good luck.