Firmware downgrade using official (patched) flasher, the "Ultra hax0r guide"

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
cas1701

Re: Firmware downgrade using official (patched) flasher, the "Ultra hax0r guide"

Post by cas1701 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:32 pm
cas1701 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:52 pm
Hi Guys,

I've just bought an LG BH16NS55 (SVC CODE: NS55 according to the label) and I've been trying to downgrade the firmware with the excellent flasher. But so far I've been unsuccessful. Before you say anything I have to tell you that I'm on Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa (Cinnamon) and that I've been trying to flash the FW using Q4WINE i.e. running a windows program in side Linux. I'm a complete novice where Linux is concerned so if anyone knows how I can do this, I would be extremely grateful for your thoughts and answers.

I have tried to flash the drive from Window 7 running in a VM but that wasn't any good either. The Flash program couldn't detect the drive even though I have it on passthrough in the VM.

I read in an earlier post that changing to IDE also has to be done. I did that just before posting here. I changed from AHCI to IDE to see if that would help but again to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas, help or general info on what I can do? If anyone does please remember that I'm completely new to Linux so words of one syllable and act like your talking to an complete numpty (which you are). Thanks in advance.
Try using the modified ASUS FW Changer + firmwares (see thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18933) and boot from a windows (10) 32 bit PE USB stick.
I’ll try that and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the info.
ProNub

Re: Firmware downgrade using official (patched) flasher, the "Ultra hax0r guide"

Post by ProNub »

How does one discover this hack? Trial and error?
Change just this single byte (at location 0x1ec056) from 0xFF to 0xDE ("downgrade enable").

Congratulations! You are an elite hacker now
coneslayer

Post by coneslayer »

d00zah wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:57 pm
tragicgames wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:59 pm
I am giving up on the 2013 drive
Try this image on the old drive. Just downloaded the 'official' flash tool from the LG site (dated 04/10/2014) & ran it thru 'FirmwareExtractor2.exe'.

WH14NS40_140326_1.03-A0_NOBJ_DE.zip

Try it with the 'ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe' tool. If it works, great. If not, you're no worse off.
I'm in the same boat as tragicgames, with a 2013 LG WH14NS40 that I tried to downgrade, and now it always acts as if the drive is empty.

I tried the firmware from d00zah above, but the ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe tool immediately gives the error "Updating Failure #5" when I try to update.

Any other ideas?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Could be an issue with the extracted FW? Seems obvious, but I have to ask... have either of you just tried reapplying the LG FW intended for the drive?

http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fi ... -b1-a1.zip

I hate giving up but sometimes, when you wade in blindly...
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

coneslayer wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:29 pm

I'm in the same boat as tragicgames, with a 2013 LG WH14NS40 that I tried to downgrade, and now it always acts as if the drive is empty.

I tried the firmware from d00zah above, but the ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe tool immediately gives the error "Updating Failure #5" when I try to update.

Any other ideas?
try the lg flasher with the firmware d00zah extracted i was going to do the same thing but he beat me to it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
coneslayer

Post by coneslayer »

d00zah wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:43 pm
have either of you just tried reapplying the LG FW intended for the drive?
Thanks for the suggestion, but it gives the error: "CheckSum is mismatched. Drive will go to BOOT mode. Please retry again." (Retrying gives the same error.)
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

coneslayer wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:02 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, but it gives the error: "CheckSum is mismatched. Drive will go to BOOT mode. Please retry again." (Retrying gives the same error.)
I suspect "Updating Failure #5" == "CheckSum is mismatched".

We're reduced to SWAGs now... have you tried Billy's suggestion to use the tool linked in the 1st post of this thread (w/ my WH14NS40_140326_1.03-A0_NOBJ_DE.bin)?
coneslayer

Post by coneslayer »

d00zah wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:12 pm
We're reduced to SWAGs now... have you tried Billy's suggestion to use the tool linked in the 1st post of this thread (w/ my WH14NS40_140326_1.03-A0_NOBJ_DE.bin)?
Yep, that gives the same "CheckSum is mismatched. Drive will go to BOOT mode. Please retry again." error. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

coneslayer wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:19 pm
Yep, that gives the same "CheckSum is mismatched. Drive will go to BOOT mode. Please retry again." error. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, if it were me, I'd fall back to the 'old fashioned' dosflash dump, use datamover to apply cal data to clean image, dosflash... just the thing Billy, Alex & Marty specialize in. Seeing as you got yourself here, negotiating with them seems like the best bet... or write off the drive. Your call.
coneslayer

Post by coneslayer »

d00zah wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:35 pm
Well, if it were me, I'd fall back to the 'old fashioned' dosflash dump, use datamover to apply cal data to clean image, dosflash... just the thing Billy, Alex & Marty specialize in. Seeing as you got yourself here, negotiating with them seems like the best bet... or write off the drive. Your call.
Yeah, I just ordered a replacement. I may play around with dosflash, but after 5+ years of regular use, it's earned its retirement if I don't get it going again. Thanks again for your help.
jkeener88

Post by jkeener88 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:22 am
jkeener88 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:11 am
I'm on ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01

Should I run the patcher and go to 3.02, Assuming this is the best version for ripping?

I watch the youtube video, he said you just download and run it, and no issues, no worry to brick drive...

TRUE?? :)
yes but i did make the video lol
but if you are on 3.01 no point really
OK thanks, just curious.

I did notice that there are times when I put in a 4k UHD disc and the drive will just spin/access the disc for more than 10 minutes like it is confused about what is in the drive. So I eject the disc, try again, and then things work properly. Not sure if anyone else experiences this. So that is why I was partly curious about the 3.02 that maybe it addressed such an issue.
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jkeener88 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:18 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:22 am
jkeener88 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:11 am
I'm on ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01

Should I run the patcher and go to 3.02, Assuming this is the best version for ripping?

I watch the youtube video, he said you just download and run it, and no issues, no worry to brick drive...

TRUE?? :)
yes but i did make the video lol
but if you are on 3.01 no point really
OK thanks, just curious.

I did notice that there are times when I put in a 4k UHD disc and the drive will just spin/access the disc for more than 10 minutes like it is confused about what is in the drive. So I eject the disc, try again, and then things work properly. Not sure if anyone else experiences this. So that is why I was partly curious about the 3.02 that maybe it addressed such an issue.
that is the sleep bug only the wh16ns60 does not have that
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
spl147

Post by spl147 »

spl147 wrote:has anyone seen this error using the patched flasher and DE firmware?

it's a BU40N on 1.01 manufactuer date 09/18, even though i got the error it still downgraded and works fine

Anyone see this before?

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
cas1701

Post by cas1701 »

cas1701 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:52 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:32 pm
cas1701 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:52 pm
Hi Guys,

I've just bought an LG BH16NS55 (SVC CODE: NS55 according to the label) and I've been trying to downgrade the firmware with the excellent flasher. But so far I've been unsuccessful. Before you say anything I have to tell you that I'm on Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa (Cinnamon) and that I've been trying to flash the FW using Q4WINE i.e. running a windows program in side Linux. I'm a complete novice where Linux is concerned so if anyone knows how I can do this, I would be extremely grateful for your thoughts and answers.

I have tried to flash the drive from Window 7 running in a VM but that wasn't any good either. The Flash program couldn't detect the drive even though I have it on passthrough in the VM.

I read in an earlier post that changing to IDE also has to be done. I did that just before posting here. I changed from AHCI to IDE to see if that would help but again to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas, help or general info on what I can do? If anyone does please remember that I'm completely new to Linux so words of one syllable and act like your talking to an complete numpty (which you are). Thanks in advance.
Try using the modified ASUS FW Changer + firmwares (see thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18933) and boot from a windows (10) 32 bit PE USB stick.
I’ll try that and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the info.
I did try your suggestion, but after jumping through many, many hoops it felt like, I did manage to get my drive patched with the downgraded firmware.

As I'm a newbie to Linux I'll post to the Linux board to explain what I did and hopefully be of help to others in the future. I've now done my first two UHD discs which went without a hitch.

Thanks for all your help. :D :D
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

[/quote]

I did try your suggestion, but after jumping through many, many hoops it felt like, I did manage to get my drive patched with the downgraded firmware.

As I'm a newbie to Linux I'll post to the Linux board to explain what I did and hopefully be of help to others in the future. I've now done my first two UHD discs which went without a hitch.

Thanks for all your help. :D :D
[/quote]

You're welcome! Glad it is working. Yes,please add instructions to the Linux board.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com