Custom firmware

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Coopervid

Custom firmware

Post by Coopervid »

Will the custom firmware still keep the drives as "UHD friendly" for other software if flashed to the modified MK "UHD official" version?
Or can only MakeMKV work with them then?
SamuriHL

Re: Custom firmware

Post by SamuriHL »

I can't answer definitively but this seems relevant:

Re-enabled ability to read UHD discs (if drive was capable, and disabled in firmware).

I would think that means that it would restore the later firmware to "UHD friendly". It WON'T turn UHD real drives to friendly drives, though.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

That depends on what you define "friendly". Traditionally "friendly" drive was drive that could:
- read UHD (BDXL-ROM) discs
- read AACS2 metadata from such discs using AACS1 keys (host certs).

LibreDrive does not equal "friendly", although it just happened that all "friendly" drives are LibreDrive compatible.

Here is an example. The WH16NS60 v1.00 drive was never "friendly" in a sense that it never allowed reading of AACS2 data with AACS1 keys. Yet it had vendor commands that made the drive "compatible". MakeMKV used (and uses) these commands to upload LibreDrive runtime to drive memory. DeUHD uses the same commands to manipulate the state of AACS2 authentication in RAM in order to bypass it. Hence the drive is "supported" while it was never "friendly".

The MK patch adds the vendor commands for accessing the drive memory back. If the AACS1 hole was closed, then MK firmware would not bring it back.

Regarding the MakeMKV exclusivity - the firmwares are there in open, anyone can compare the patched versions to originals, see how memory access is re-enabled and use these commands in their software. MakeMKV uses vendor commands in patched firmware to upload LibreDrive runtime, same way as in previous versions. Anyone is free to use the new interface - it is trivial, as long one has a basic understanding of MTK firmware structure.

If the question is "would it possible to take libaacs (or other AACS1 software) and just read UHD discs with it on MK firmware" - the answer is no, same as it was not possible on WH16NS60 v1.0 . If you want that level of compatibility, the downgrade option is always there.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I guess a clarification question I would ask is the case of the ASUS BW-16D1HT. 3.03 makes it unable to read UHD discs and your patched firmware restores that ability. Since it has no AACS 2.0 capability, would flashing the patched version restore "UHD friendly" nature of the drive without downgrading it to the UHD friendly 3.02? I'm guessing yes but am not sure?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:55 pm
I guess a clarification question I would ask is the case of the ASUS BW-16D1HT. 3.03 makes it unable to read UHD discs and your patched firmware restores that ability. Since it has no AACS 2.0 capability, would flashing the patched version restore "UHD friendly" nature of the drive without downgrading it to the UHD friendly 3.02? I'm guessing yes but am not sure?
That sounds silly, but I have no idea. The 3.03 has a lot (I mean a lot) of changes from 3.02. If besides disabling all vendor commands and artificially blacklisting UHD media they also closed the AACS1 access hole - then no, 3.03M will not work. If they did not change the AACS part, then 3.03M is actually a "friendly" drive. Believe it or not, I have never tested that :) The 3.03M still has the "sleep" bug, which makes this fw less appealing than cross-flashing to LG NS60, if all you need is UHD read capability.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:05 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:55 pm
That sounds silly, but I have no idea. The 3.03 has a lot (I mean a lot) of changes from 3.02. If besides disabling all vendor commands and artificially blacklisting UHD media they also closed the AACS1 access hole - then no, 3.03M will not work. If they did not change the AACS part, then 3.03M is actually a "friendly" drive. Believe it or not, I have never tested that :)
Fair enough. I'll test it since I know I can downgrade it back to where it is now if I need to. I'll reply back to get a definitive answer on this question later. Thanks!

EDIT: Just tested. Flashed 3.03 and then used another product to test its "friendliness" and it's able to decrypt a UHD just fine. So, yes, in this case, MK 3.03 does restore friendliness to that drive. Awesome :)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:10 pm
EDIT: Just tested. Flashed 3.03 and then used another product to test its "friendliness" and it's able to decrypt a UHD just fine. So, yes, in this case, MK 3.03 does restore friendliness to that drive. Awesome :)
Amazing. Thanks for the info!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No problem at all! Thank YOU for this incredible solution!!!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Mike,

this is great and opens new opportunities like rip lock removal etc. Just faaaaantastic!
Now the mouse seems to be ahead of the cat!
Question: Will this help also with AACS2.1 or is this a complete different animal?

SamuriHL,

I was not at home tonight and just saw your responses to my thread and your testing. Can you extend it to both the programs that most people use if they want to make disc copies instead of MKVs? Otherwise I will have to flash one of my ASUS drives to check it myself on the weekend.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I tested it with a program we both use that ONLY works with UHD friendly drives (i.e. does not work with vendor commands like what is needed for LG NS60). I have left the drive on MK 3.03 and I was able to decrypt 2001 with it no problem. It is definitely seeing the ASUS drive as UHD friendly.

As for AACS 2.1, this will not touch that. Mike is not doing anything with AACS with LibreDrive. It's avoiding MKB revocation and bus encryption but not manipulating AACS in any way.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Thanks SamuriHL,

I will extend the testing and will be flashing one of my ASUS drives to 3.03 MK. It might take until the end of this weekend but I will do and report then.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Hell! I hate it being being held up... Windows updates were scheduled. 1809 to newest patches. SamuriHL- yes, I'm still not patient and I had to try that still this evening.

Brilliant news! At least the ASUS BW16D1HT 3.03 MV version from Mike is looked at being "UHD friendly" by the Fox and the Monkey program. Works like a charm with both programs!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yes, I already knew that. LOL :D I already tested AnyDVD which *REQUIRES* a UHD friendly drive. They don't support non-friendly drives like the NS60 so if it worked there, it was going to work anywhere.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Firmware pack updated with ASUS firmware based on 3.10 (and its A204 clone) . It has few interesting properties:
1. Still "friendly"
2. Sleep bug fixed
3. Apparently other bug fixes by ASUS, as drive seems to be more stable.

Overall, this seems to be a best firmware for NS50 hardware for the moment.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's great news. I'm going to update mine to this asap.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk