Keep Orginal MKVs or Recompressed?

Everything related to MakeMKV
rivey

Re: Keep Orginal MKVs or Recompressed?

Post by rivey »

swampdaddy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:58 am
Hey, thanks for the reply. So, tell me about your streaming setup. Do you have something like Plex server on another machine and that server references the media files via your lan and where there are separate Plex client apps running on something like an Apple TV connected to each TV?

How are you backing up your NAS?

Thanks,

Robert
Like your name though I go by Bob. Every time my wife of 41 years calls me Robert, I assume I have done something wrong.
To start, my desktop PC and my server are connected via a direct connect 10gig card as well as my 1gig network. This allows me to rip discs on my PC and MakeMKV outputs them to a file on my FreeNAS server.

My Plex server is a plugin on FreeNAS that I access remotely from my PC to manage the discs as far at renaming files, changing poster art, moving movies and TV shows to different folders in Plex. As for playing back media on my different TV's, I have a Roku Box on every TV in the house and they each have a Plex client on them. I also have an nVidia Shield TV box on my living room system. I got that since its network is a 1gig where all of the Roku's are 10/100. With the new FreeNAS server I built, the speed of the clients is not a problem on 4K. I have been looking at playing with EMBY but haven't tried it yet. All devices on my network are hardwired so speed is not normally an issue. Obviously phones and tablets are on my Wifi and they work just fine as long as they log on to my main wifi and not my guest wifi. By the way, the FreeNAS server is all built from older parts from eBay so they cost of the build was more affordable. For a home server, you do not need the latest and greatest hardware.

Hope this info is edifying,
Bob
swampdaddy

Post by swampdaddy »

Hi Bob, I'm just seeing your message.... I appreciate the details about your setup.

Keep in touch!

Robert (AKA: Rob, SwampDaddy, MacDoctor and more)
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

I run all but my UHD rips through Handbrake with X264 or, increasingly, X265.

For a long time now Handbrake has had the option of passing through HD and Atmos audio untouched so the audio is bit for bit the same as is on the disc.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

In the US, you can get an 8TB external drive regularly for $130-$140ish (not every day, but regularly).

Lets say its 50GB (this is very conservative, probably on average in the 30-40GB range) for a movie, that's about 160 movies you can fit on a single drive.

so each movies basically costs less than $1 to store this way. (at 30GB a movie, looking at closer to 50c a movie).

Now, factor in

a) one's time
b) electricity to encode a movie (say it takes you 4 hours to encode it and your machine is using 250Wats of electricity, at 25c a kwh, you just spent 25c on the encode)

for me, its not worth it.