I'm sorry, I can't figure out this Libredrive thing.

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
MechaDangerous

I'm sorry, I can't figure out this Libredrive thing.

Post by MechaDangerous »

I've tried reading what happened, but for some reason I just can't wrap my head around it. All I know is MakeMKV used to work, and now it doesn't, and I can't figure out how to make it work. I've tried downloading an older version of MakeMKV, but that doesn't seem to work either. I have an "ASUS BC-12B1ST b", and my LibreDrive information says:

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

So where is this patched firmware? I downloaded the zip provided by Mike, however what am I supposed to do with the .bin file? I'm at a loss here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
MartyMcNuts

Re: I'm sorry, I can't figure out this Libredrive thing.

Post by MartyMcNuts »

MechaDangerous wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:13 am
I've tried reading what happened, but for some reason I just can't wrap my head around it. All I know is MakeMKV used to work, and now it doesn't, and I can't figure out how to make it work. I've tried downloading an older version of MakeMKV, but that doesn't seem to work either. I have an "ASUS BC-12B1ST b", and my LibreDrive information says:

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

So where is this patched firmware? I downloaded the zip provided by Mike, however what am I supposed to do with the .bin file? I'm at a loss here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Use either of the windows flashing tools (LG or ASUS) to flash your drive with the firmware from Mike.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a link to the flashing tool? A Google search only shows me a utility for flashing phones and bios.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Use the tool in this post to flash.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18933
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

Nope that didn't work. Received an error "Updating Failure #4" and now my drive is stuck open.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Is it external USB drive?
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

No sir it's an internal drive. ASUS BC-12B1ST b.
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

Now after rebooting my computer my drive isn't even recognized on my PC. It doesn't show up at all in device manager. Did this just destroy my drive?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

How old is this drive?

What year was it originally purchased?
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

The drive was purchased in 2014. Honestly I don't see that as relevant though, it has worked perfectly on it's own and with MakeMKV until these updates concerning LibreDrive.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

MechaDangerous wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:48 am
The drive was purchased in 2014. Honestly I don't see that as relevant though, it has worked perfectly on it's own and with MakeMKV until these updates concerning LibreDrive.
It's 100% relevant because there are several revisions of drives put out over the years by manufacturers/vendors. Each time with different hardware and firmware revisions that are NOT backwards compatible in most cases. Discussed many times over within the walls of this forum.

In your original post you list a Firmware version of 1.00. ASUS stopped using that firmware version in mid to late 2015, when they started manufacturing new versions/revisions of their drives with completely different firmware and internal hardware changes.

Firmware versions from then on were 3.00 series, which does NOT work with earlier drives like yours.

Everyone may have jumped a little too quickly on advising to flash that drive, when it may not always apply. In your case, the firmware provided by Mike in his package for that drive is for the newer versions of that drive model with Firmware 3.00+ manufactured 2015 or later. NOT for the earlier models with the old 1.00 series firmware.

You may have just bricked your drive.
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

Well I'm glad I got at least one piece of useful information on this site then. Thanks for your honesty, st4evr. Makes me pretty upset that I actually spent the $50 on this software now knowing that I have to spend another $60+ on another drive.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

On what could be a small bright side to this whole ordeal, if you purchase one of the newer compatible models from ASUS, like the BW-16D1HT, it will be a good drive and you'll be ready for UHD BD backups along with LibreDrive comparability when properly flashed to a compatible firmware provided in Mike's firmware package.
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

I'm not gonna lie I'm actually terrified of spending $80 on a drive and flashing more firmware provided by this site that has already bricked my current drive.

Understandably according to you it was due to the age/manufacture of my drive, but none the less it left a very bad taste in my mouth.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Or you can use this service here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17829

I have not personally used his drive purchasing service but comes highly recommended and will literally walk you step by step through the entire purchase to backup process. I recommend you review that thread for an additional option.
Last edited by st4evr on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.