NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Japio

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Japio »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:24 pm
Japio wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:05 pm
Just tried to update my drives.

On my BW-16D1H-U I immediately get "Updating Failure #1."

On my LG BP60NB10 The drive only opens and immediately get "Updating Failure #3."
1. I'm certain that the BW-16D1H-U actually contains a Pioneer drive, (thus not LibreDrive or UHD friendly) and not downgradeable.

2. I don't think the BP60NB10 can be flashed at this point in time. (Please talk to @jonghotti as I think he has one).
Both BW-16D1H-U and BP60NB10 are in the mk-firmware-pack-20190319. So I guess that says it should be supported.
I Would like to know what Failure #1 and #3 are and how te resolve these.
cnjvh

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by cnjvh »

Using the flash tool and FW from post 1, is it still necessary to dump the original FW and merge it? Or can I just flash as-is on a new drive (16D1HT)?

Thx!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

You do not need to dump the firmware and merge when using the Windows based flasher in this thread.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Japio wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:09 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:24 pm
Japio wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:05 pm
Just tried to update my drives.

On my BW-16D1H-U I immediately get "Updating Failure #1."

On my LG BP60NB10 The drive only opens and immediately get "Updating Failure #3."
1. I'm certain that the BW-16D1H-U actually contains a Pioneer drive, (thus not LibreDrive or UHD friendly) and not downgradeable.

2. I don't think the BP60NB10 can be flashed at this point in time. (Please talk to @jonghotti as I think he has one).
Both BW-16D1H-U and BP60NB10 are in the mk-firmware-pack-20190319. So I guess that says it should be supported.
I Would like to know what Failure #1 and #3 are and how te resolve these.
Japio,

Failure #3 - means the external enclosure is not passing through all required commands to the drive, so unable to flash properly.
Failure #1 - Not 100% about this as only a couple of people have had this error but I'm leaning towards an "incompatible drive".

Cheers.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
planet1

modified ASUS Flasher

Post by planet1 »

Dear MartyMcNuts,

thank you for providing this FW flash tool, I successfully used it to LIBERATE my Buffalo BRXL-PT6U2VB external slim drive.
MartyMcNuts

Re: modified ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts »

planet1 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:29 pm
Dear MartyMcNuts,

thank you for providing this FW flash tool, I successfully used it to LIBERATE my Buffalo BRXL-PT6U2VB external slim drive.
You're welcome!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

So the BP60NB10 is currently unusable as a UHD compatible drive, because like a crab and it's shell, the drive lives in it's enclosure :)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
jerryfudd81

Post by jerryfudd81 »

Hi,

I asked previously but is it possible to use 'ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe' to go directly to DE 3.01 on the BW-161HT from 3.03?

If so what is the purpose of 'ASUS ODD FW 3.02 Updater for BW-16D1HT (Patched).exe' as I thought that was to downgrade the DE 3.02 to 3.01?

(my 2nd BW-161HT arrives Tuesday so I'll actually get to use some of this info!)
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jerryfudd81 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:35 am
Hi,

I asked previously but is it possible to use 'ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe' to go directly to DE 3.01 on the BW-161HT from 3.03?

If so what is the purpose of 'ASUS ODD FW 3.02 Updater for BW-16D1HT (Patched).exe' as I thought that was to downgrade the DE 3.02 to 3.01?

(my 2nd BW-161HT arrives Tuesday so I'll actually get to use some of this info!)
You can upgrade or downgrade to any firmware you want no need to flash in order or anything like that. Just go directly to the version you want
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:34 am
mathewbeall wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:07 am
Quick question - I have the ASUS 161DHT drive, and it came with 3.03 - I got the latest firmware updater - and attached it to a win10 machine via SATA - and I am getting the error occured during getting handle of the device : error 5

Any ideas?

AnyDVD and the device manager see it just fine, and it's not hooked up via USB.

Thanks!

Matt
Weird.. I haven't heard of anyone getting that error when directly connected to SATA port on motherboard, unless they have an old drive. Just to make sure, how old is your drive? If it is newer than October 2015 can you give the LG flasher a try. (Link below..) Just unzip it in the same folder as the ASUS flasher + firmware.

BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.zip

Let us know how you go.
So - this turned out to be a total newb mistake - I wasn't "running as administrator" when I went to fire up MakeMKV. All good now. :)
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jerryfudd81 wrote:
Hi,

I released that patched ASUS 3.02 flasher (which only downgrades a BW-16D1HT 3.03 to 3.02) a while before I released the modified flasher (can flash any drive with any firmware).

Therefore, there isn't really any need for the original 3.02 patched flasher anymore. If you have downloaded the modified fw changer, you are good to go.

Hope that provides clarification for you.
jerryfudd81

Post by jerryfudd81 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:27 pm
jerryfudd81 wrote:
Hi,

I released that patched ASUS 3.02 flasher (which only downgrades a BW-16D1HT 3.03 to 3.02) a while before I released the modified flasher (can flash any drive with any firmware).

Therefore, there isn't really any need for the original 3.02 patched flasher anymore. If you have downloaded the modified fw changer, you are good to go.

Hope that provides clarification for you.
perfect thanks, I'd been searching the forums trying to get upto speed but there's allot of history over a few topics (+ edits) and I'm consuming it all in one go so just wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly.

really appreciative of all the work that's put in.
sl1pkn07

Post by sl1pkn07 »

Hi

Thank to you, my new unit asus bw-16d1ht (fw 3.03, manufacture date october 2018) has been downgrade to "DE" fw3.02!

but i have a little (aka stupid) question about the firmware includes into the zip

comes with 2 firmwares for my unit. fw 3.01 and 3.02. why is this if the other compatible units have only one?

greetings
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

3.01 and 3.02 are both UHD friendly. He included them for completeness, but, quite frankly a few of us have found that MK 3.10 to be the overall best firmware for this drive so far. That being said, 3.02 works very well. I used it on mine for over a year without issue.