Custom firmware discussion

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
jerryfudd81

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by jerryfudd81 »

jonghotti wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:13 pm
jerryfudd81 wrote:Just to throw something in that an external drive will almost always be an internal drive in a caddy... remove it out and pop on the sata bus could be worth a shot (if all else is correct).
And this is not one of those times.
Have you tried popping the tray and given a gentle but firm pull.... maybe a bit of a wiggle at the same time.

I had a similar looking one and the drive just popped out.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The dosflash wouldn't work with a USB drive anyway so that's out completely. I don't know anything about that specific drive. What does MakeMKV show in the info screen when you pop a disc in that thing and bring up MakeMKV and open the disc?
jdog921

Post by jdog921 »

Which would you recommend for the lg wh16ns40 1.03 need to make libre and uhd readable?
Thanks
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

To *NOT* flash that drive until you pull it out of the machine, check the sticker on the bottom, and MAKE SURE it's an NS50 SVC code. If it's not, flashing it WILL brick the drive.
jfabianmedina

Post by jfabianmedina »

I just want to thank every single person that dedicated their own personal time to help people like me. I purchased an ASUS BW-16D1HT followed the instructions to downgrade to 3.02 and it works like a charm.

I am using the NextStar DX External Enclosure that does the job and looks great on my desk. I love my physical media, but I dislike switching UHD Discs. I have my Nvidia Shield and a couple of external hard drives that have all my movies. My son can easily change movies without damaging any of my UHD Discs.

Again, thank you so much for the effort. I am buying my license next week.
jerryfudd81

Post by jerryfudd81 »

jfabianmedina wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:50 am
I just want to thank every single person that dedicated their own personal time to help people like me. I purchased an ASUS BW-16D1HT followed the instructions to downgrade to 3.02 and it works like a charm.

I am using the NextStar DX External Enclosure that does the job and looks great on my desk. I love my physical media, but I dislike switching UHD Discs. I have my Nvidia Shield and a couple of external hard drives that have all my movies. My son can easily change movies without damaging any of my UHD Discs.

I did the same..... take a look into the MK 3.10 firmware on this site which is what I flashed my ASUS BW-16D1HT to - works just aswell but fixes the annoying sleep bug.
jfabianmedina

Post by jfabianmedina »

jerryfudd81 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:19 am
jfabianmedina wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:50 am

I did the same..... take a look into the MK 3.10 firmware on this site which is what I flashed my ASUS BW-16D1HT to - works just aswell but fixes the annoying sleep bug.
I will give it a try... Thank you!
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:09 am
To *NOT* flash that drive until you pull it out of the machine, check the sticker on the bottom, and MAKE SURE it's an NS50 SVC code. If it's not, flashing it WILL brick the drive.
Even if you brick drive, it is always possible, under DOSFLASH, to reprogram MediaTek eeprom. :wink:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:53 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:09 am
Even if you brick drive, it is always possible, under DOSFLASH, to reprogram MediaTek eeprom. :wink:
Hey Teddy good to see you. :) Yes, this is quite true. We helped a couple of the NS40 owners in different threads recover their drive by extracting the corrupt firmware, using the datamover tool to move their encryption and calibration data to the proper NS40 firmware, and flash it with DOSFLASH. Not everyone is equipped to handle doing that though and far too many people lately have flashed their NS40 drives without checking the service code and have come back to say it no longer reads discs. Just trying to prevent issues. :)

Also, just an FYI, it looks like LG whacked dosflash in the NS55 1.04 firmware that hasn't been released on their website yet but Marty got one shipped to him. Yey? LOL
archermoo

Post by archermoo »

GyroDragona wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:56 pm
Do you know of any UHD drives that don't need the firmware messed with to work with LibreDrive as-is out of the box? I have tried searching about online but have not really had any luck finding such information due to LibreDrive just being so new and not many details being posted just yet.
I picked up a BU50N that is a UHD drive that works with LibreDrive out of the box.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
Also, just an FYI, it looks like LG whacked dosflash in the NS55 1.04 firmware that hasn't been released on their website yet but Marty got one shipped to him. Yey? LOL
I didn't know anything about 1.04 fw, but my BH16NS55 units have been crossflashed to BW-16D1HT 3.10 libredrive fw and work like a charm, so I don't bother about LG fw. :wink:
By the way, what do you mean with "LG hacked dosflash" ? There are several ways to erase and reprogram MediaTek eeprom. :wink:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
I didn't know anything about 1.04 fw, but my BH16NS55 units have been crossflashed to BW-16D1HT 3.10 libredrive fw and work like a charm, so I don't bother about LG fw. :wink:
By the way, what do you mean with "LG hacked dosflash" ? There are several ways to erase and reprogram MediaTek eeprom. :wink:
I said whacked not hacked. Lol meaning that the drive Marty got with 1.04 only gets errors when he attempted to use dosflash. He was able to cross flash with mk 3.10 with a Windows flasher but trying to create a firmware dump even after it was cross flashed failed.

EDIT - Take a look here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19250

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
cbickel

Post by cbickel »

When I open a disc MakeMKV says that Libredrive mode would be supported with patched firmware. I'm sure that this is true given that it's just a software limitation preventing me from opening these discs in Libredrive mode. I am convinced that it has something to do with the MK patched firmware not playing nice with the patched LG flasher from the video description. All the DE firmware that came with the patcher seems to work just fine for people with compatible drives, but because my drive's firmware was written by the MakeMKV team and not the people who cracked the LG flasher, something is not working right. I have yet to find anyone on these forum's that has successfully flashed a drive to the MK firmware using the patched flasher tool. Right now I'm trying to contact the people who built the unlocked flasher to see if they could build a tool that works with the MK firmware, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

cbickel wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:21 am
When I open a disc MakeMKV says that Libredrive mode would be supported with patched firmware. I'm sure that this is true given that it's just a software limitation preventing me from opening these discs in Libredrive mode. I am convinced that it has something to do with the MK patched firmware not playing nice with the patched LG flasher from the video description. All the DE firmware that came with the patcher seems to work just fine for people with compatible drives, but because my drive's firmware was written by the MakeMKV team and not the people who cracked the LG flasher, something is not working right. I have yet to find anyone on these forum's that has successfully flashed a drive to the MK firmware using the patched flasher tool. Right now I'm trying to contact the people who built the unlocked flasher to see if they could build a tool that works with the MK firmware, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim.
Some USB enclosures don't pass all required commands through to the drive. Yours is probably one of them.

Myself, @Billycar11, @SamuriHL and many others have flashed MK firmware to many drives without any issue. Personally I use the modfied ASUS flasher but I'm sure the patched LG flasher would also work.

Cheers
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Um I'm definitely confused with what you're saying. I have two drives using mk firmware and I've flashed both of them with the patched LG flasher with zero problems. One is an Asus bw-16d1ht with mk 3.10 flashed with the patched LG flasher. The other is an LG ns60 with mk 1.01. I've used both the LG flasher and the patched asus flasher with both drives doing various testing and haven't had a problem. You seem to be suggesting the patched LG flasher doesn't work with the mk firmware? If so, that's not accurate.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk