Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Grencola

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola »

deejaytnk wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:24 am
Grencola,

I have used your Version 2.0 All-in-1 program, its wonderful & Brilliant. I would like to request if you can add a line question in the 'cmd' script to ask to extract ENGLISH subtitles to be attached to the output DV MP4 file. If you can, i hope it is not too extensive and complicated for you to implement. Hope to hear the good news from you soon...
sure, that sounds simple enough. give me a bit of time though, I'm ridiculously busy. also thanks, glad you like it!
Hi-Res

Post by Hi-Res »

deejaytnk wrote:
Grencola wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:10 am
So after enough testing, I can now safely say the dv mp4s made from mkvs DO infact work just fine :) i've ran my program on like 10 of them and they all show dv and look and play amazing, with better contrast in the darker scenes that hdr10 misses. I'll update my app and take mkv out of testing and into full on good to go mode :) yay!
I've also added elapsed time so you know how long it took when it finishes and bumped it to version 2.0 since I don't think I can add any more features with the knowledge i have lol.

DV-MP4-Maker v2.0: https://bit.ly/2WbHZR0
Grencola,

I have used your Version 2.0 All-in-1 program, its wonderful & Brilliant. I would like to request if you can add a line question in the 'cmd' script to ask to extract ENGLISH subtitles to be attached to the output DV MP4 file. If you can, i hope it is not too extensive and complicated for you to implement. Hope to hear the good news from you soon...
The .SUP file isn't officially supported for .mp4 container. You would either have to hardcode them, or convert them to a supported format. MP4 only supports 2 subtitle formats txt(srt) and idx/vobsub. I would personally use eac3to to extract the .SUP file or you can use tsMuxer if you need GUI and not familiar with command line. Then use Subtitle Edit to convert .SUP to .SRT. Once you're done with that you can make a folder with your Dolby Vision and .SRT file make sure both the files are named the same. You're set! I'm sure there's an easier way but this is the way I do it. I'm not sure how others mux the srt and vobsub file the .mp4 container.
deejaytnk

Post by deejaytnk »

Hi-Res wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:34 am
deejaytnk wrote:
Grencola wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:10 am
So after enough testing, I can now safely say the dv mp4s made from mkvs DO infact work just fine :) i've ran my program on like 10 of them and they all show dv and look and play amazing, with better contrast in the darker scenes that hdr10 misses. I'll update my app and take mkv out of testing and into full on good to go mode :) yay!
I've also added elapsed time so you know how long it took when it finishes and bumped it to version 2.0 since I don't think I can add any more features with the knowledge i have lol.

DV-MP4-Maker v2.0: https://bit.ly/2WbHZR0
Grencola,

The .SUP file isn't officially supported for .mp4 container. You would either have to hardcode them, or convert them to a supported format. MP4 only supports 2 subtitle formats txt(srt) and idx/vobsub. I would personally use eac3to to extract the .SUP file or you can use tsMuxer if you need GUI and not familiar with command line. Then use Subtitle Edit to convert .SUP to .SRT. Once you're done with that you can make a folder with your Dolby Vision and .SRT file make sure both the files are named the same. You're set! I'm sure there's an easier way but this is the way I do it. I'm not sure how others mux the srt and vobsub file the .mp4 container.
Hi-Res,

Do you know if Plex Player is capable of decoding an .SRT file with the same file name as MP4 file that reside on a USB thumb drive loaded onto a LG B7 OLED panel?

If not, where I have to hardcode the subs, what software and steps would I need to do so. Please advise.

Thanks a lot for the correspondence to keep this thread going. The Streaming industry is making the Disc Media industry complicated and segregated, just like the stupid struggle between Dolby and DTS. The DV and HDR+ war doesnt help either. Hope when HDMI 2.0 is released, it will standardized equipment to Dynamic HDR capabilities which will make Dolby Vision less special.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

Hi-Res wrote:
that's pretty much it. I was just going to put SubtitleEdit.exe into my sfx file, then add some code in the script since it can do everything from a cmd line. It would prompt you (y/n) if you'd like to add subtitles or not before appending an English sub. I could probably let you pick which language you'd like as well.
Hi-Res

Post by Hi-Res »

deejaytnk wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:31 am
Hi-Res wrote:
deejaytnk wrote:

Grencola,

Hi-Res,

Do you know if Plex Player is capable of decoding an .SRT file with the same file name as MP4 file that reside on a USB thumb drive loaded onto a LG B7 OLED panel?

If not, where I have to hardcode the subs, what software and steps would I need to do so. Please advise.

Thanks a lot for the correspondence to keep this thread going. The Streaming industry is making the Disc Media industry complicated and segregated, just like the stupid struggle between Dolby and DTS. The DV and HDR+ war doesnt help either. Hope when HDMI 2.0 is released, it will standardized equipment to Dynamic HDR capabilities which will make Dolby Vision less special.
I personally don't use Plex in my NAS or PC. However I have Plex installed on my LG C6 OLED & NAS. I realized just using DLNA is a lot more stable without transcoding. Because Plex is constantly pulling data from their servers. Also it depends on your end user device (plex player) ex. CPU power, cache capacity, WiFi connection (channel interference). Name the SRT & .MP4 the same name and put them in the same folder. Plex is able to see that those files are associated with each other. If you're running your files off of a PC and you have the LG B7 install LG Smart Share from their official website (no transcoding, Windows only). If you have a mac install Universal Media Server. Run the files via DLNA. Plex recently just started supporting Dolby Vision. And if you're transcoding these files I hope you have a very powerful host machine.

If you're putting the files on a thumb drive why do you need to use Plex? Just go to the purple media icon on your LG Tv and play away. Only reason I ever use Plex is for aesthetics & organizing. HDMI 2.0 has been out for quite some time. If you're running the files via USB & NAS then you don't need to worry about if your source device is HDCP compliant.
deejaytnk

Post by deejaytnk »

Hi-Res wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:47 pm
deejaytnk wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:31 am
Hi-Res wrote:

Hi-Res,

I personally don't use Plex in my NAS or PC. However I have Plex installed on my LG C6 OLED & NAS. I realized just using DLNA is a lot more stable without transcoding. Because Plex is constantly pulling data from their servers. Also it depends on your end user device (plex player) ex. CPU power, cache capacity, WiFi connection (channel interference). Name the SRT & .MP4 the same name and put them in the same folder. Plex is able to see that those files are associated with each other. If you're running your files off of a PC and you have the LG B7 install LG Smart Share from their official website (no transcoding, Windows only). If you have a mac install Universal Media Server. Run the files via DLNA. Plex recently just started supporting Dolby Vision. And if you're transcoding these files I hope you have a very powerful host machine.

If you're putting the files on a thumb drive why do you need to use Plex? Just go to the purple media icon on your LG Tv and play away. Only reason I ever use Plex is for aesthetics & organizing. HDMI 2.0 has been out for quite some time. If you're running the files via USB & NAS then you don't need to worry about if your source device is HDCP compliant.
Hi-Res,

Pardon me, my ending rant was about 'HDMI 2.1', sorry I typed 2.0 which is the current standard at Rev 2.0b.

Another hiccup on me was about Plex Player. I read through a thread at the following below link, but misunderstood. The info was saying using Plex app running on a LG B7 panel to play files off a remote server.

Thanks for the clarification, so .SRT files are the way to go, easy and straight forward. I guess now we just need to wait for Grencola to integrate SubtitleEdit into his fancy program! =)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comment ... sion_rips/
ragico

Post by ragico »

I tried and put the srt subtitle in the same folder of the movie with exactly the same name of the movie.
Then watched the mp4 in my lg c8 but no subtitle at all. Of course the subtitle option is "on" in Plex server.
Tried several times with both srt and smi extensions. Nothing to do.
Pity.
Dantrigger

Post by Dantrigger »

ragico wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 pm
I tried and put the srt subtitle in the same folder of the movie with exactly the same name of the movie.
Then watched the mp4 in my lg c8 but no subtitle at all. Of course the subtitle option is "on" in Plex server.
Pity.
Hi, you have to use a naming convention and then you should see it listed, for example Avatar (2009).eng.srt, other wise they should appear as External uknown. This worked for me and I can select subtitles for all the movies, altough I'm using LG Plex app, not sure if this works when using DLNA server.
ragico

Post by ragico »

Dantrigger wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:07 am
ragico wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 pm
Pity.
Hi, you have to use a naming convention and then you should see it listed, for example Avatar (2009).eng.srt, other wise they should appear as External uknown. This worked for me and I can select subtitles for all the movies, altough I'm using LG Plex app, not sure if this works when using DLNA server.
Tried this with plex app on my lg c8 and it works. Thank you for helping.
ragico

Post by ragico »

benhur wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:30 am
It works from a Synology multimedia server in dlna. No need of Plex.
Like previously said, it only need the .mp4 and the .srt file to have the same name.

Image -> Image
I think that Synology server allows for what you describe.
I use Plex or Serviio and the Lg c8 native player does not display subtitles nor are options to display them.
Instead Plex app works without problem as said.
pepi420

Post by pepi420 »

I have the same problem on my lg b6 oled when plays skyscraper. After 5 min of movie lg music and video app close and shows ‘out of memory’
Any solution ???
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

deejaytnk wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:59 pm
I guess now we just need to wait for Grencola to integrate SubtitleEdit into his fancy program! =)

I think I've done it, I'm just testing it out tonight. I'll send you it soon though. Sorry I'm so busy :p
ragico

Post by ragico »

pepi420 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:56 am
I have the same problem on my lg b6 oled when plays skyscraper. After 5 min of movie lg music and video app close and shows ‘out of memory’
Any solution ???
Afaik there is no solution. My previous Oled Lg E6 had the same problem and it seems to be a hardware problem. My Lg C8 is ok.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

deejaytnk, here you are :)

it pulls the first subtitle since it always seems to be English, and converts it to srt if needed.

let me know what you think.

link: https://bit.ly/2OYwutN

edit: I forgot to make it ask first if you want subtitles or not. but just use the other version if you don't, until I fix it later.
deejaytnk

Post by deejaytnk »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:09 am
deejaytnk, here you are :)

it pulls the first subtitle since it always seems to be English, and converts it to srt if needed.

let me know what you think.

link: https://bit.ly/2OYwutN

edit: I forgot to make it ask first if you want subtitles or not. but just use the other version if you don't, until I fix it later.
Grencola,

Sorry for the late reply. YOU ARE THE MAN! Only if people in real life are as generous as you are, we would not have wars. Much Thanks and appreciation for the effort and work.