Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
cyperous

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by cyperous »

I just had success playing a dolby vision mux of a UHD rip on my Roku TV R615/R617 65".

Here is the command I used. Note that playing these through plex is currently not possible but you can play these via a USB or DLNA via the USB media player. I'm using the DLNA server built into plex.

Code: Select all

mp4muxer -i hdr_video.265 -i dv_el_track.265 -i converted_audio.ec3 --dv-profile 5 -o dv_video.mp4
I've seen other posts with more stuff added to the command line and in my experience they don't work with the Roku TV.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

deejaytnk wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:56 pm
Grencola,

Sorry for the late reply. YOU ARE THE MAN! Only if people in real life are as generous as you are, we would not have wars. Much Thanks and appreciation for the effort and work.
You're very welcome :)
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

cyperous wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:30 pm
I just had success playing a dolby vision mux of a UHD rip on my Roku TV R615/R617 65".

Here is the command I used. Note that playing these through plex is currently not possible but you can play these via a USB or DLNA via the USB media player. I'm using the DLNA server built into plex.

Code: Select all

mp4muxer -i hdr_video.265 -i dv_el_track.265 -i converted_audio.ec3 --dv-profile 5 -o dv_video.mp4
I've seen other posts with more stuff added to the command line and in my experience they don't work with the Roku TV.
Good to hear of another working device! just a note when using profile 5: I've found if the colors ever look off (greenish tinge, etc) you can use profile 5.06 instead of just 5, and it should rectify it. Also, I'm guessing profile 7 just reverts to hdr10?
onlyauser

Post by onlyauser »

Hello,

I have a Sony X900F and can't get it to play dolby vision videos converted with this tool. If I use --dv-profile 7 the videos are played but not Dolby Vision is triggered on the TV. If I use --dv-profile 5 the resulting videos are crashing the TV to a restart when played.
Dolby Vision Samples from ie. LG are playing fine though, but MediaInfo shows DV profile 5.09 on them. You mentioned profile 5.06 can be used, but when I put the parameter like --dv-profile 5.06 MediaInfo still shows DV profile 5.03. Can you please advise me how to put the --dv-profile paramter correct, so the resulting video has DV profile 5.06, or maybe better 5.09.
My input video is a DV BluRay Rip from Jurassic Park Falling Kingdom.

Regards OnlyAUser
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

onlyauser wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:20 am
Hello,

I have a Sony X900F and can't get it to play dolby vision videos converted with this tool. If I use --dv-profile 7 the videos are played but not Dolby Vision is triggered on the TV. If I use --dv-profile 5 the resulting videos are crashing the TV to a restart when played.
Dolby Vision Samples from ie. LG are playing fine though, but MediaInfo shows DV profile 5.09 on them. You mentioned profile 5.06 can be used, but when I put the parameter like --dv-profile 5.06 MediaInfo still shows DV profile 5.03. Can you please advise me how to put the --dv-profile paramter correct, so the resulting video has DV profile 5.06, or maybe better 5.09.
My input video is a DV BluRay Rip from Jurassic Park Falling Kingdom.

Regards OnlyAUser
Sony TV's can't play dual layer video files in Dolby Vision, unfortunately. The test samples you tried are single layer files that can't be created without official dolby tools. Only certain TV models from LG, Vizio, and TCL can play dual layer dv files, otherwise you'll need either an Oppo 203 or the Chinese clone from bd-mod to play them properly.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Guys, I'm trying to understand this thread, please help me out. If anyone can answer these:

Is it safe to assume that all DV-enabled UHD blu-ray discs use DV 7 profile MEL streams (double layer, EL with MEL). Are really all DV streams on UHD blu-rays MEL streams?

Am I right that there is an algorithm (public or confidential) to convert profile 7 MEL stream (BL+EL) to a single-layer profile 8 stream? If yes, is this true tat the conversion would be "lossless" in DV sense but would destroy HDR10 metadata for non-DV devices?

Are there any tools, public or private, capable of performing such conversion?

Are there any tools, public or private, capable of making both profile 7 (Dual Layer) and profile 8 (Single Layer) bit-streams out of the same source material?

Are there any sample files for the above-mentioned process, i.e. a single-layer and a double-layer (profile 7 MEL) DV streams representing the same video data and DV metadata?

Are there any DV reference decoders?

Thanks!
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

mike admin wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:43 pm
Guys, I'm trying to understand this thread, please help me out. If anyone can answer these:

Is it safe to assume that all DV-enabled UHD blu-ray discs use DV 7 profile MEL streams (double layer, EL with MEL). Are really all DV streams on UHD blu-rays MEL streams?

Am I right that there is an algorithm (public or confidential) to convert profile 7 MEL stream (BL+EL) to a single-layer profile 8 stream? If yes, is this true tat the conversion would be "lossless" in DV sense but would destroy HDR10 metadata for non-DV devices?

Are there any tools, public or private, capable of performing such conversion?

Are there any tools, public or private, capable of making both profile 7 (Dual Layer) and profile 8 (Single Layer) bit-streams out of the same source material?

Are there any sample files for the above-mentioned process, i.e. a single-layer and a double-layer (profile 7 MEL) DV streams representing the same video data and DV metadata?

Are there any DV reference decoders?

Thanks!
You are indeed correct that all uhd-bd dv movies are dual layer profile 7. This thread discusses the process (which includes the use of this program: https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base ) of essentially changing the container type from mkv or m2ts to mp4, which can then be played on certain models of select TV's (LG, Vizio, TCL) using usb / dlna. These files are still dual layer (profile 7 usually) which is why only certain models support playback of them. Unfortunately there are no public tools available to combine the two layers into a single layer file like the LG DV .ts sample videos. You would need Ateme Titan software running on an official Dolby CMU workstation with an up to date license to author such a process. But yeah, the result is still lossless video quality as no compressing is performed, and the hdr10 baselayer still remains for if your tv doesn't support DV it falls back to hdr10 instead of sdr. If you want to convert your uhd-bd backups (or mkv remux) to a DV mp4, I've made a tiny app to simplify the process: https://bit.ly/2WbHZR0
Just put your video file (largest .m2ts from the uhd-bd bdmv/streams folder or .mkv remux) into its own folder, run my app, point it to that folder, and click install.
onlyauser

Post by onlyauser »

Grencola wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:18 am
Sony TV's can't play dual layer video files in Dolby Vision, unfortunately. The test samples you tried are single layer files that can't be created without official dolby tools. Only certain TV models from LG, Vizio, and TCL can play dual layer dv files, otherwise you'll need either an Oppo 203 or the Chinese clone from bd-mod to play them properly.
Thanks for clarification. Seems like I bet on the wrong horse.

Regards
onlyanuser
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:07 am
These files are still dual layer (profile 7 usually) which is why only certain models support playback of them.
I understand that. But I wonder if the process to combine dual-layer to single-layer is relatively simple and can be reverse-engineered.
The public DV docs state that MEL extension layer streams can be parsed and combined without instantiating secondary hevc decoder. The blu-ray players apparently do it in software on a relatively low-power SOCs. So the process has to be simple.

Grencola wrote: Unfortunately there are no public tools available to combine the two layers into a single layer file like the LG DV .ts sample videos. You would need Ateme Titan software running on an official Dolby CMU workstation with an up to date license to author such a process.
That's what I am looking for. All we need is a couple 10-second identical sample files, authored as UHD-BD profile 7 (double layer) and a signle-layer profile (profile 8?). If the combining process is indeed simile, the algorithm can be deduced just by analyzing the data. If anyone can provide such samples, I will not share them with anyone.

Grencola wrote: But yeah, the result is still lossless video quality as no compressing is performed, and the hdr10 baselayer still remains for if your tv doesn't support DV it falls back to hdr10 instead of sdr.
What DV profile are these files? And where can I get these LG DV single-layer sample files?

Are you saying that a single-layer "combined" DV file still retains HDR10 compatibility, even when played on a TV without DV support? This sounds really nice if it is true.

Thanks!
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

I doubt reauthoring a dual layer uhd-bd to mux the bl+el+rpu into a single stream video file is as easy as you think. well, the process is easy enough (I could show you Chinese vid on YouTube showing it) but the acquisition of proprietary dolby hardware, software, and licenses makes it a bit more tricky..

here's a bunch of single layer DV test samples: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mU-TJ ... Omgs8R3xLa

the reveal_more videos I believe have a bt2020 base so would default to hdr10 if a non dv tv is used, yeah. I'm sure many of them are this way actually, just the check the mediainfo.

these are not dual layer uhd-bd profile 7 clips that have been made into single layer files- those do not exist. these have been authored as single layer from the get go with permission from dolby. a bunch of these are available right from dolby's website.

let me know what you see / come up with!

good luck :p
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:22 pm
I doubt reauthoring a dual layer uhd-bd to mux the bl+el+rpu into a single stream video file is as easy as you think.
It has to be, it is designed that way. After all, it is just a metadata re-packaging.
Grencola wrote:here's a bunch of single layer DV test samples
Thanks!
Grencola wrote:these are not dual layer uhd-bd profile 7 clips that have been made into single layer files- those do not exist.
I wish we could find a sample...
bgalakazam

Post by bgalakazam »

Grencola, I like your tool. It's still running, does it delete the origin file at the end? I wanted to give a test run to a DV with lossy audio on certain titles. I always preferred lossless audio to DV so I don't want to lose my origin file if I don't like it.
Sony X700 -> Onkyo TX-RZ830 -> LG C8
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

bgalakazam wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:19 pm
Grencola, I like your tool. It's still running, does it delete the origin file at the end? I wanted to give a test run to a DV with lossy audio on certain titles. I always preferred lossless audio to DV so I don't want to lose my origin file if I don't like it.
Glad you like it :) Yes, it keeps the original file.
let me know what you think of the lossy audio! I found that unless you have a high-end speaker system, it's really not that much worse, while the difference from hdr10 to DV is immense depending on the film.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

I’m having an issue with Dolby Vision movies on the c7. Black bars are perfect black, but the picture which is supposed to be perfect black is only dark grey. If I look closely, there are some kinda lines running diagonally. Not sure if the remuxing process causes this. The movie I’m testing is Rampage (2018). At the beginning of the movie where there are some white texts against a supposedly black background, the background is grey instead of black. This does not happen with the hdr10 version which is perfect black.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

deadchip12 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:55 am
I’m having an issue with Dolby Vision movies on the c7. Black bars are perfect black, but the picture which is supposed to be perfect black is only dark grey. If I look closely, there are some kinda lines running diagonally. Not sure if the remuxing process causes this. The movie I’m testing is Rampage (2018). At the beginning of the movie where there are some white texts against a supposedly black background, the background is grey instead of black. This does not happen with the hdr10 version which is perfect black.
that's strange, I know the C6 has DV issues but haven't heard much from C7 users. have you tried a different movie at all? you could also try dv profile 5 instead of 7, as LG is finicky with their DV processing..