Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
deadchip12

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by deadchip12 »

Grencola wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:00 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:55 am
I’m having an issue with Dolby Vision movies on the c7. Black bars are perfect black, but the picture which is supposed to be perfect black is only dark grey. If I look closely, there are some kinda lines running diagonally. Not sure if the remuxing process causes this. The movie I’m testing is Rampage (2018). At the beginning of the movie where there are some white texts against a supposedly black background, the background is grey instead of black. This does not happen with the hdr10 version which is perfect black.
that's strange, I know the C6 has DV issues but haven't heard much from c7 users. have you tried a different movie at all? you could also try dv profile 5 instead of 7, as LG is finicky with their DV processing..
I noticed this in other movies as well, like Justice League and Ready Player One. I will try dv profile 5 like you suggest and report back.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Grencola wrote:
deadchip12 wrote:
I’m having an issue with Dolby Vision movies on the c7. Black bars are perfect black, but the picture which is supposed to be perfect black is only dark grey. If I look closely, there are some kinda lines running diagonally. Not sure if the remuxing process causes this. The movie I’m testing is Rampage (2018). At the beginning of the movie where there are some white texts against a supposedly black background, the background is grey instead of black. This does not happen with the hdr10 version which is perfect black.
that's strange, I know the C6 has DV issues but haven't heard much from C7 users. have you tried a different movie at all? you could also try dv profile 5 instead of 7, as LG is finicky with their DV processing..
Update: I tried dv profile 5 instead of 7 and the file straight up refused to run lol.

I created the dolby vision file using the remux mkv version. I’m downloading the full disc version and will try remuxing again using the m2ts file to see if it makes any difference.
bgalakazam

Post by bgalakazam »

Grencola wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:22 pm
Glad you like it :) Yes, it keeps the original file.
let me know what you think of the lossy audio! I found that unless you have a high-end speaker system, it's really not that much worse, while the difference from hdr10 to DV is immense depending on the film.
I tested with American Psycho and it wasn't as pronounced difference as I thought. Can you suggest me some titles?

I have a descent Klipsch 5.1 system with a SVS sub. The 640kbs limit is a little low for my liking. While I rarely hit the 20mbit with lossless, often it hangs around 3-5mbit. So no way to get DD+ with mp4 then and stuck to 640? It's not a show stopper as some Netflix titles I have seen are 192kbs but the DV was stunning.
Sony X700 -> Onkyo TX-RZ830 -> LG C8
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

deadchip12 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:24 am
Grencola wrote:
deadchip12 wrote:
that's strange, I know the C6 has DV issues but haven't heard much from c7 users. have you tried a different movie at all? you could also try dv profile 5 instead of 7, as LG is finicky with their DV processing..
I noticed this in other movies as well, like Justice League and Ready Player One. I will try dv profile 5 like you suggest and report back.
Ah, different firmware on the C6 than the C7 I guess :/ Also, you managed to convert Justice League from the remux mkv? everytime I try it gives me random errors that I've never seen before, figured I need the m2ts. Haven't tried RP1 yet.
Last edited by Grencola on Thu May 02, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

bgalakazam wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:34 pm
Grencola wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:22 pm
Glad you like it :) Yes, it keeps the original file.
let me know what you think of the lossy audio! I found that unless you have a high-end speaker system, it's really not that much worse, while the difference from hdr10 to DV is immense depending on the film.
I tested with American Psycho and it wasn't as pronounced difference as I thought. Can you suggest me some titles?

I have a descent Klipsch 5.1 system with a SVS sub. The 640kbs limit is a little low for my liking. While I rarely hit the 20mbit with lossless, often it hangs around 3-5mbit. So no way to get DD+ with mp4 then and stuck to 640? It's not a show stopper as some Netflix titles I have seen are 192kbs but the DV was stunning.
yea American Psycho (and definitely some others) have lackluster DV (and hdr10 even for that matter), but others like Tomb Raider, Mission Impossible, and most movies that have quite dark / bright scenes etc. look amazing in DV.

Unless you luck out and the movie contains an eac3+atmos track, the best you can put into these mp4's with public tools is non-atmos 1536kbps DD+ eac3 audio. my app can't do that conversion as the program needed doesn't run from a command line, but if you follow the steps at the beginning of this forum it's pretty simple to do it yourself. it does sound better, too. the 640kbps audio is more for people without surround systems or ones of low to avg sound quality..
mrhollywood

Post by mrhollywood »

I just started following this thread, but why is exactly that you can't use the lossless atmos track with the video? Does something break if you add the audio to the muxed mp4 with ffmpeg?
bgalakazam

Post by bgalakazam »

Thanks. I tried the Xmedia Recode per steps in page 5, but ended up with a single track .eac3 file and not a .dts so nothing to demux.

Code: Select all

Format                                   : E-AC-3
Format/Info                              : Enhanced AC-3
Commercial name                          : Dolby Digital Plus
Can I use this file to mux with dlb_mp4base or do I need a .ac3 file? If the latter, can I just rename the file or I need to redo the whole process? (don't have demuxed HEVC streams right now to test).

Sorry for the silly questions, while IT and computers is my career field this is the first time I do deeper A/V mux/demux and recoding. End of the day, if I can get a 1.5Mbit DD+ with DV in MP4, I can live with that for those titles.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

bgalakazam wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:50 pm
Thanks. I tried the Xmedia Recode per steps in page 5, but ended up with a single track .eac3 file and not a .dts so nothing to demux.

Format                                   : E-AC-3
Format/Info                              : Enhanced AC-3
Commercial name                          : Dolby Digital Plus
Can I use this file to mux with dlb_mp4base or do I need a .ac3 file? If the latter, can I just rename the file or I need to redo the whole process? (don't have demuxed HEVC streams right now to test).

Sorry for the silly questions, while IT and computers is my career field this is the first time I do deeper A/V mux/demux and recoding. End of the day, if I can get a 1.5Mbit DD+ with DV in MP4, I can live with that for those titles.
You should run the eac3 file through TSMuxer demux anyway just in case, it only takes a second. it will be an ac3 file, yet it secretly stores the original .dts track inside causing mp4muxer to error. it still may spit out two files, it always did for me anyway. unless you somehow managed to make XMedia Recode convert without retaining the original track, mediainfo does appear that way, but I could never find that setting. then ya, after that just use it with mp4muxer like you would an ac3 file since it can handle ec3 files just fine.
Last edited by Grencola on Fri May 03, 2019 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

mrhollywood wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:08 pm
I just started following this thread, but why is exactly that you can't use the lossless atmos track with the video?
The best an MP4 container can handle is Dolby Digital Plus, so lossless audio is a no go.
Does something break if you add the audio to the muxed mp4 with ffmpeg?
ffmpeg doesn't support ddplus+atmos. There's currently no public software available to do it, either you get lucky and grab it from a movie that already has it, or you buy a licensed copy of Dolby Media Encoder (https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professiona ... lient.html) for a few thousand bux and author your own file.
Last edited by Grencola on Fri May 03, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

benhur wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:56 am
deadchip12 wrote:
I watched carefully the start of the movie and i saw no problem at all with Rampage on my C7.
Black are perfectly black under the introduction text.
here's my mediainfo if you want to compare.

Général
Nom complet                              : Z:\Rampage [ac3][4k][DV]\Rampage [ac3][4k][DV].mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Profil du format                         : Base Media / Version 2
Identifiant du codec                     : mp42 (mp42/dby1/isom)
Taille du fichier                        : 45,1 Gio
Durée                                    : 1 h 47 min
Débit global moyen                       : 60,2 Mb/s
Date d'encodage                          : UTC 2019-04-27 07:42:34
Date de marquage                         : UTC 2019-04-27 07:42:34

Vidéo #1
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profil du format                         : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR_Format/String                        : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Identifiant du codec                     : hev1
Identifiant du codec/Info                : High Efficiency Video Coding
Débit                                    : 59,5 Mb/s
Largeur                                  : 3 840 pixels
Hauteur                                  : 2 160 pixels
Format à l'écran                         : 16/9
Type d'images/s                          : Constant
Images par seconde                       : 23,976 (24000/1001) Im/s
Espace de couleurs                       : YUV
Sous-échantillonnage de la chrominance   : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Profondeur des couleurs                  : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Image)                       : 0.299
Taille du flux                           : 44,6 Gio (99%)
Default                                  : Non
Gamme de couleurs                        : Limited
Coordonnées de chromaticité              : BT.2020
Caractéristiques du transfert            : PQ
Coefficients de la matrice               : BT.2020 non-constant
MasteringDisplay_ColorPrimaries          : Display P3
MasteringDisplay_Luminance               : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
MaxCLL                                   : 494 cd/m2
MaxFALL                                  : 364 cd/m2
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC

Vidéo #2
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profil du format                         : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR_Format/String                        : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Identifiant du codec                     : dvhe
Identifiant du codec/Info                : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Débit                                    : 65,8 kb/s
Largeur                                  : 1 920 pixels
Hauteur                                  : 1 080 pixels
Format à l'écran                         : 16/9
Type d'images/s                          : Constant
Images par seconde                       : 23,976 (24000/1001) Im/s
Espace de couleurs                       : YUV
Sous-échantillonnage de la chrominance   : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Profondeur des couleurs                  : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Image)                       : 0.001
Taille du flux                           : 50,5 Mio (0%)
Gamme de couleurs                        : Limited
Coordonnées de chromaticité              : BT.2020
Caractéristiques du transfert            : PQ
Coefficients de la matrice               : BT.2020 non-constant
MasteringDisplay_ColorPrimaries          : Display P3
MasteringDisplay_Luminance               : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC+dvcC

Audio
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Nom commercial                           : Dolby Digital
Identifiant du codec                     : ac-3
Type de débit                            : Constant
Débit                                    : 640 kb/s
Canaux                                   : 6 canaux
ChannelLayout                            : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Echantillonnage                          : 48,0 kHz
Images par seconde                       : 31,250 Im/s (1536 SPF)
Profondeur des couleurs                  : 16 bits
Mode de compression                      : Avec perte
Taille du flux                           : 491 Mio (1%)
Langue                                   : Français
ServiceKind/String                       : Complete Main

note: No problem also for Justice League. Wonderfull picture like Aquaman and Bumblebee.
I almost done the DV versions for 30+ files, but i did it mostly from m2ts (i think 90%).
The only problem is that sometime tsmuxergui (2.6.12) is unable to extract 2hevc+1audio tracks at the same time.
The solution for this is to extract one by one all the tracks you want to use.
Hmm ok so either it’s because of creating dv file from remux or my tv has some problem. I’m redoing with the m2ts and will report back. Do you mind sharing your tv settings in dolby vision?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

benhur wrote:
note: No problem also for Justice League. Wonderfull picture like Aquaman and Bumblebee.
ok thx, I'll use the m2ts for justice league I guess.
I almost done the DV versions for 30+ files, but i did it mostly from m2ts (i think 90%).
Nicely done! Have you tried it with a file on a usb hdd? Although my hdd is usb 3.0, I only have usb 2.0 port and it takes over 10hrs sometimes :shock: using my internal hdd takes less than 2 hours.
The only problem is that sometime tsmuxergui (2.6.12) is unable to extract 2hevc+1audio tracks at the same time.
That's why I stopped using tsmuxer and switched to eac3to.. or you know, just use my app and click one button: https://bit.ly/2WbHZR0 ;)
Also, I see that French is your preferred language, let me know if you'd like French subtitles as I can write you a quick mod to add an srt file along with the new mp4 :)
bgalakazam

Post by bgalakazam »

benhur wrote:
I noticed this, too. eac3to and separate video tracks and you are golden. Or for the lazy and still decent audio bitrates, Grencola's tool.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

benhur wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:43 pm
Grencola wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:12 pm
Nicely done! Have you tried it with a file on a usb hdd? Although my hdd is usb 3.0, I only have usb 2.0 port and it takes over 10hrs sometimes :shock: using my internal hdd takes less than 2 hours.
2 hours, i think you should try to work on a faster HDD.

Usually i extract the hevc and audio files from m2ts to my system disk (SSD). This takes about 15-20 minutes.
Then for a standard movie (2h15 50GB) it takes less than 30 minutes to mux the mp4.
Then 10 minutes to move the mp4 file to the nas.

System: I7-2600k @4.4Ghz - 8GB - Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD
holy fu*kn sh*t!! :shock: I'm in serious need of an upgrade. 8 year old laptop doesn't cut it anymore :lol:
bgalakazam

Post by bgalakazam »

EDIT: had to rename .eac3 to .ec3 and it worked. No need to demux after the DTS -> DDP recode with Xmedia, just rename the file.

Grencola, I need your advice if you have actually gotten DD+ to play correctly. Running eac3to or your program plays DV and 640 DD no issue. When I did a DTS track convert, my receiver Denon X2100W detects the DD+, Sony X700 detects and shows the 1.5mbit rate, but there is no sound. My process was: rip DTS -> Xmedia to DD+ .eac3 file -> TSmuxer demux same track to .ac3 -> mp4base to mux to MP4.

Was my error demuxing .eac3 to .ac3? If that is it, should I have just renamed the file for mp4base to take it correctly?

Have you successfully muxed a 1.5 DD+ track with DV to a MP4 that played back correctly? If so, can you give me the exact steps? If not, I am back to choosing between lossless audio + HDR10 vs 640kbit + DV
Last edited by bgalakazam on Fri May 03, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

bgalakazam wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:31 pm
Grencola, I need your advice if you have actually gotten DD+ to play correctly. Running eac3to or your program plays DV and 640 DD no issue. When I did a DTS track convert, my receiver Denon X2100W detects the DD+, Sony X700 detects and shows the 1.5mbit rate, but there is no sound. My process was: rip DTS -> Xmedia to DD+ .eac3 file -> TSmuxer demux same track to .ac3 -> mp4base to mux to MP4.

Was my error demuxing .eac3 to .ac3? If that is it, should I have just renamed the file for mp4base to take it correctly?

Have you successfully muxed a 1.5 DD+ track with DV to a MP4 that played back correctly? If so, can you give me the exact steps? If not, I am back to choosing between lossless audio + HDR10 vs 640kbit + DV
Of course I've 'actually' gotten it to work :p I would never give detailed steps on how to do something without making sure it works first. it sounds like you're doing it right, I'm not sure where you went wrong. you don't rename any extension, you just demux the dts file Xmedia spits out and it should split apart the dd+ ac3 track from the dts one so you can just delete the dts track and mp4mux the dd+ audio. maybe it's an AVR / BDP glitch? this guy seems to have an AVR doing the same thing:
powdeau wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:06 pm
It works with XMedia but if I set the bitrate to 1536, my AVR cannot play it, so I have to set it only to 768, which isn’t much different from the classic ac3. It would be great if I could set the bitrate manually (e.g. 1400) and it might work.
My AVR is an Onkyo, maybe it's one of the lucky ones that can decode 1536kbps eac3?

Also you should do this though anyway, as Xmedia doesn't blend the rear channels in so you technically don't get true 5.1, I never got around to trying it:
Mouth_of_Sauron wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 am
  • eac3to will mix the back channels into the surrounds when creating a 5.1 track from a 7.1 original, however it doesn't appear to be able to encode to EAC3. So the best you can get is 640kbps AC3.
  • Xmedia Recode can encode to 1536kbps 5.1 EAC3, but doesn't mix the back channels into the surround channels when converting from 7.1. As a result you lose the back channels.
I'm new to this stuff but I believe the following will work to create a proper 1563kbps 5.1 track from a 7.1 TrueHD original:

Use eac3to to create a 5.1 lossless FLAC file with the -down6 switch which appears to mix the back channels into the surrounds, you can then convert the 5.1 FLAC to 1536kbps 5.1 EAC3 using Xmedia Recode with direct channel mapping.

Obviously you still lose Atmos, but it at least gives you high bitrate EAC3 with a proper mix down of the side and back channels.

Presumably this would work the same with a 7.1 DTS-HD MA original too.
if Xmedia worked from cmd line my program would already do this method.