Backup option greyed out for DVDs but not for blu ray

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
morbius

Backup option greyed out for DVDs but not for blu ray

Post by morbius »

Does makemkv not have the option to create a decrypted backup for DVDs ? Just noticed it's not available for me (I know that you must not "open" the disc first). The option works for blu rays so why not DVDs? Seems very odd. Looks like I'm about to dust off my ancient copy of DVD Shrink!
Woodstock

Re: Backup option greyed out for DVDs but not for blu ray

Post by Woodstock »

Backup is a Bluray-only function.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
morbius

Post by morbius »

So I gathered. Can anyone advise why this functionality is not enabled for DVDs but it is for blu rays ? Does not seem intuitive.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Because when BD support was added, there were no programs that would generate an unencrypted copy of a Bluray, but there were a LOT of them for creating unencrypted DVD ISO files. There still aren't a lot of them for BD.

I just think Mike didn't want to duplicate what was already out there for free.
morbius

Post by morbius »

Ho hum. I run a registered version of makemkv and I think it's outstanding and Mike is a wizard, just had not occurred to me that there would be less functionality with DVD than with bluray. I don't have much need for full disc back up so I still think makemkv is fantastic, but I did stumble on this, assuming it was a glitch rather than by design.
renfield

Post by renfield »

I gotta say, I too am disappointed.

What is a recommended dvd backup program? Because makemkv complains about mine. :(

One that understands and doesn't fail on corrupt sectors and other schemes.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I've used dd on Linux to create encrypted ISOs. I'm remembering one from years or so ago called "BDLOT" make ISOs on Windows machines, with optional decryption, but it's been unsupported for about a decade.
renfield

Post by renfield »

yeah that doesn't work because it's easily defeated by even the most simple copy protection
renfield

Post by renfield »

I'm using makemkv for mac.

Just came across my first DVD that doesn't work correctly.

I use DVDFab for mac. I copy full discs to a folder structure. I usually keep the PathPlayer option on, so DVDFab can scan and remove copyright and other startup messages. It does this by rewriting the first VTS or something like that.

Whether I keep PathPlayer on, ie allow DVDFab to edit the IFO and first VTS, or turn PathPlayer off (which should copy the IFO and VTS as-is), in either case makemkv does not find the first title at all during its scan. It starts at title 3 in the log output.

Also for both of these cases, vlc does work and navigates the DVD menu and plays title 1 correctly. (title 2 is the 35s copyright message -- this is skipped by vlc for either setting of PP. vlc also skips the copyright when playing from the actual disc.)

If I change DVDFab to create an ISO, makemkv finds all the titles when opening the iso.

Now, I don't know if DVDFab is making a mistake here, but given that vlc can navigate the dvd menu correctly, while makemkv cannot, I suggest that this is a bug in makemkv. Even if the ifo is in fact corrupt somehow, vlc has no difficulty with it.

I'm very interested in getting this fixed because I prefer to archive as folder structures, not ISOs. I can make available the entire disc, the original and DVDFab-saved IFO, VTS, whatever.
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

I find that i use makemkv for bluray and 4k rips,i have seen many good dvd rip programs, i personally use win x dvd ripper platinum and it does really well.however since this is makemkv forum that is all i will say on program recommendations.not that im trying to be elitist or anything.i found everything i needed on internet including makemkv by searching the internet.
Trubes

Post by Trubes »

I use RipIt for macOS. It's an older app but still runs great under Catalina.

http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/
daraclark

Post by daraclark »

smartieyoung wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:32 pm
I find that i use makemkv for bluray and 4k rips,i have seen many good dvd rip programs, i personally use win x dvd ripper platinum and it does really well.however since this is makemkv forum that is all i will say on program recommendations.not that im trying to be elitist or anything.i found everything i needed on internet including makemkv by searching the internet.
Should I use WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to backup my DVDs to folder or MP4 digital video format? The programs offers a few backup options.
krole

Post by krole »

Is there any chance of DVD backup being added? I think Backup option for DVDs is worth adding, as there aren't many programs left that do this and are still supported.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Kind of doubt it, but it could happen.

As for programs that can make ISOs, the program "dd" that comes with Linux and MacOS is still out there, and even runs on Windows 10 in WSL. It's got simple syntax, so long as you know the device name for your optical drive.

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/location/of/output.iso

The result can be played in most DVD-aware players.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Is dd even able to copy a DVD with CSS?

And I guess, MakeMKV is not much possible to make full DVD backups because of the menus. Maybe there just wasn't a reason to make it able to read menus at all.