Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
fib1985
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by fib1985 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:31 am

Hi folks !

Yesterday night i tried my first DV movie on my new LG C8 and it worked like a charm ! Im very impressed by the quality of DV and the TV in general. Everything works great, just some little issues, a few seconds of video lag (due to usb low rpm hd maybe ?) and just 2 seconds of some visible artifacts. Maybe due to some errors during encoding, i dont know. Btw nothing much at all, the movie was very enjoyable. Thanks again !

deadchip12
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by deadchip12 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:33 am

fib1985 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:31 am
Hi folks !

Yesterday night i tried my first DV movie on my new LG C8 and it worked like a charm ! Im very impressed by the quality of DV and the TV in general. Everything works great, just some little issues, a few seconds of video lag (due to usb low rpm hd maybe ?) and just 2 seconds of some visible artifacts. Maybe due to some errors during encoding, i dont know. Btw nothing much at all, the movie was very enjoyable. Thanks again !
Hi. Which movie did you watch and what kind of artifacts did you notice? As for the lag I discovered that it could be very likely caused by the hard drive itself. I once encountered terrible lag using on hdd but when I changed it to another it was fine.

fib1985
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by fib1985 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:41 am

deadchip12 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:33 am
fib1985 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:31 am
Hi folks !

Yesterday night i tried my first DV movie on my new LG C8 and it worked like a charm ! Im very impressed by the quality of DV and the TV in general. Everything works great, just some little issues, a few seconds of video lag (due to usb low rpm hd maybe ?) and just 2 seconds of some visible artifacts. Maybe due to some errors during encoding, i dont know. Btw nothing much at all, the movie was very enjoyable. Thanks again !
Hi. Which movie did you watch and what kind of artifacts did you notice? As for the lag I discovered that it could be very likely caused by the hard drive itself. I once encountered terrible lag using on hdd but when I changed it to another it was fine.
I watched Mortal Engines. I create the .mp4 from .iso
Artifacts like a large green strip in the middle of the screen for a few seconds. Yeah, tonight i will use another HD (7200rpm) and i will see.

powdeau
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:01 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by powdeau » Fri May 17, 2019 1:21 am

fib1985 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:41 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:33 am
fib1985 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:31 am
Hi folks !

Yesterday night i tried my first DV movie on my new LG C8 and it worked like a charm ! Im very impressed by the quality of DV and the TV in general. Everything works great, just some little issues, a few seconds of video lag (due to usb low rpm hd maybe ?) and just 2 seconds of some visible artifacts. Maybe due to some errors during encoding, i dont know. Btw nothing much at all, the movie was very enjoyable. Thanks again !
Hi. Which movie did you watch and what kind of artifacts did you notice? As for the lag I discovered that it could be very likely caused by the hard drive itself. I once encountered terrible lag using on hdd but when I changed it to another it was fine.
I watched Mortal Engines. I create the .mp4 from .iso
Artifacts like a large green strip in the middle of the screen for a few seconds. Yeah, tonight i will use another HD (7200rpm) and i will see.
I have LG C7 and I also have these artifacts in some movies. It is not because of DV or a HDD, but because of the player in TV. It cause artifacts also on the remuxes or on the m2ts files from ISO. It's too bad that LG didn't fix it on new model (also someone should try it on C7). I fixed this by buying Sony X700 where it works fine.
I just have an issue there with DV. Sometimes, when there is a change of the shot in the movie, the screen flashes for a 1 frame. If someone know how to fix this, it would be awesome. I have this problem just with DV.

cyperous
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by cyperous » Fri May 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Grencola wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:46 am
cyperous wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:50 am
My TV is a Roku TV and Plex doesn't natively support the DVHE but will play if you force it to. When trying to seek forward or backward though always results in the file starting from the beginning no matter where your at. I haven't tried using the USB media player.
Ah I see. Yea every model has their own unique struggles. The usb media player may play better than forcing unsupported media in plex. you might just be out of luck though unless you grab an x700 or something similar to play them on


I figured out what was going on, because I have so many 4k blu-rays (over 300) storing these directly ripped from the disc is unreasonable. The total size would be roughly over 15TB, Yikes!. So I have been re-encoding the 4K track and leaving the DV track the same, since I can't really do anything with this track. The problem is the mp4muxer only likes the re-ecoded file if I pass it through ffmpeg with a copy filter -bsf hevc_mp4toannexb. I even tried muxing the encoded track only using this: mp4muxer --input-file video.265 -o video.mp4. even this results in the mp4 being unseekable. I'm not sure what do with handbrake to change settings that would result in an encoded file that would work. I'm currently trying samples to see if I can come up with a solutions.

If any one else out there has the same problem and might have a solution, I'm up for trying it.

Thanks

cyperous
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by cyperous » Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Found some more interesting info that might help.

I did find out that seeking is working but it is very cpu intensive and on my 6 core 12 thread machine, it maxes the cpus to 100% and takes over a minute for the seek to happen. The TV is probably giving up after a short period and just starts over from the beginning.

I tried doing some research around 10bit 265 and mp4's and it turns out that mp4muxer does not write the file correctly that would build a resulted file that is seeable under a normal conditions.

For clarification here are the commands I ran to build comparison files, NOTE: these are all without dv files.

Code: Select all

mp4muxer -i video.265 -i audio.ac3 -o temp_mp4muxer.mp4

Code: Select all

mp4box -add video.265 -add audio.ac3 -new temp_mp4box.mp4

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i video.265 -i audio.ac3 -c copy -map 0:0 -map 1:0 temp_ffmpeg.mp4
ffmpeg and mp4box produce a seekable file whereas mp4muxer does not.

I would also like to note that all three of these command produce different byte codes.

deadchip12
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by deadchip12 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:17 am

Anyone owns a sony tv like the x900f? Does Dolby Vision work on external hdd connected to usb port?

fib1985
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by fib1985 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:14 am

I just tried few movies more and i can't play them well. "The gladiator" and "A queit place" stutter like hell ! (i make the mux with the latest grencola app). Maybe later i try to mux with the instructions in page 1 (Mortal Engines worked with that).

szymon
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:19 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by szymon » Sat May 18, 2019 11:32 am

Ray80 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:52 am
Hi. When I add a second audio with mp4muxer, my LG C7 shows both tracks, but only plays the first audio (even when I select the second track in the LG internal player). Have you done any aditional task to play both tracks in the LG TV?
Hi, I had no issues. Maybe LG C8 has better player or yours source material/audio was wrong. If you can cut few seconds of this video and upload somewhere I can test it. But I am not sure if muxer can cut video like mkvtoolnix.

bgalakazam
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 6:15 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by bgalakazam » Sat May 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Grencola wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:30 pm
enabling the dv option it has just essentially forces fake dv from the base hdr10 layer without seeing the actual dv Metadata. the tv might say dv, but check the player info - it will only be hdr10. I thought the same thing at first too. (see pg. 9)
Even on the mp4 lossy audio files? Also, which are the clones out there right now if it can be discussed.

Grencola
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Sat May 18, 2019 10:01 pm

bgalakazam wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:10 pm
Grencola wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:30 pm
enabling the dv option it has just essentially forces fake dv from the base hdr10 layer without seeing the actual dv Metadata. the tv might say dv, but check the player info - it will only be hdr10. I thought the same thing at first too. (see pg. 9)
Even on the mp4 lossy audio files? Also, which are the clones out there right now if it can be discussed.
MP4's work properly on the x700 via both USB and dlna (plex server etc). that's the only thing that plays in DV, other than discs obviously.

bd-rom dot com is the oppo clone. not sure we can discuss it here though, use this forum instead: https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-ul ... e.2207229/

tango306
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tango306 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 am

Hi folks.

I was reading a discussion on Reddit where a member comments that on his Oppo 203 when playing one of these MP4 DV remuxes it reports the video stream as 10-bit, however if he plays the same movie from a full disc copy (including BDMV folder) that it reports the video stream as 12-bit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comment ... dium=web2x

The suggestion being that, although these remuxes are in a DV format, they are not actually sending the DV's proper 12-bit metadata.

Can anyone comment on this? How do we know we are actually getting DV as opposed to a standard HDR which is packaged as DV but not actually sending the proper 12-bit metadata?

Grencola
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Wed May 22, 2019 2:41 am

tango306 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 am
Hi folks.

I was reading a discussion on Reddit where a member comments that on his Oppo 203 when playing one of these MP4 DV remuxes it reports the video stream as 10-bit, however if he plays the same movie from a full disc copy (including BDMV folder) that it reports the video stream as 12-bit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comment ... dium=web2x

The suggestion being that, although these remuxes are in a DV format, they are not actually sending the DV's proper 12-bit metadata.

Can anyone comment on this? How do we know we are actually getting DV as opposed to a standard HDR which is packaged as DV but not actually sending the proper 12-bit metadata?
there are no 12-bit panels on the market so don't worry about that. and yes obviously dv still makes a huge difference.

tango306
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tango306 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:44 am

Grencola wrote:
tango306 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 am
Hi folks.

I was reading a discussion on Reddit where a member comments that on his Oppo 203 when playing one of these MP4 DV remuxes it reports the video stream as 10-bit, however if he plays the same movie from a full disc copy (including BDMV folder) that it reports the video stream as 12-bit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comment ... dium=web2x

The suggestion being that, although these remuxes are in a DV format, they are not actually sending the DV's proper 12-bit metadata.

Can anyone comment on this? How do we know we are actually getting DV as opposed to a standard HDR which is packaged as DV but not actually sending the proper 12-bit metadata?
there are no 12-bit panels on the market so don't worry about that. and yes obviously dv still makes a huge difference.
You are missing the point and do not understand the benefit of DV.
12-bit source and signal shows improvement on 10-bit panel. Period. This has been proven many times if you search.

Now, back to my original question, is DV muxed into MP4 container, degrades in any way or form when played back on DV capable display such as LG OLEDs and/or Oppo-203?

sm0ke83
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by sm0ke83 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi Grencola, a lot of progress with your tool i see (posted a few times on other forum, mrmc, same topic).
I've converted about 20 movies i guess with mp4muxer, DV is definitely a big improvement over HDR.
Don't understand why i can't get it to work with mkv's, only m2ts works for me. Tried about 6 times with different movies (always use cmd btw.).
Progress finishes same as with m2ts, but not playable, continuous stutter.
Read this topic; not many people have this issue, am i right? Tried opening MKV with MKVToolNix, but no errors or option to "correct" the file (saw your post about this might solve things).
I always use scene/p2p-rleases from torrents (I own dvd's and blu-rays...)
Any idea what might be the problem here?
Thnx.

Post Reply