Random "No disc inserted" error

Everything related to MakeMKV
fourwhitebears

Random "No disc inserted" error

Post by fourwhitebears »

I am new to all this. I have MakeMKV v1.14.3 installed on my Dell XPS 8920, with a newly installed BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.02 optical drive. Most of the time MakeMKV works fine when copying movies from the original disc to a USB stick (which I then run through Handbrake to compress, but that is irrelevant). But every now and then, I get a "No disc inserted" error on a random disc, like "Hairspray", and "Paul Blart Mall Cop". These are not brand new movies, they are not even blu-ray. They are not noticeably scratched or damaged in any way. MakeMKV initially recognizes the disc while opening it because it shows the title, but then, when it comes time to click the "MakeMKV" button, it presents with this error. I want to understand why this is happening, and is itpreventable?
Woodstock

Re: Random "No disc inserted" error

Post by Woodstock »

"No disk" is really an operating system error - most likely originating from the drive, but I've seen it happen when a different application took control of the drive.

It essentially means that the drive cannot recognize the format of a disk. Sometimes you can get more information if you have debug logging turned on, but that isn't guaranteed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
fourwhitebears

Post by fourwhitebears »

So is it possible these seemingly normal movie disks are in some kind of format that this recently installed super-multi optical drive cannot read? I find that sort of strange since like I said they are not new movies, and most movies are copying fine with MakeMKV. I just want to know all the scenarios where this error could happen, so that I can narrow down my specific issue, maybe find a commonality amongst all the discs that won't work.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Since you said they were DVDs, the most likely "unreadable format" is "dirty or scratched". Especially in cases where the disk is recognized on initial load, but subsequent attempts to read its directory generate "No disk".

It's a form of copy protection that has been around for years, and it's very hard for drives (and software that depends on those drives) to deal with.

"All the circumstances" is hard to quantify, because there are a LOT of factors. I have multiple drives in use here; Some DVDs simply cannot be read in a BD drive, because the blue laser doesn't quite read them. I have DVD-only drives I pull out when that happens, which USUALLY can read the disk. The most recent time I had to do that was reading one particular disk from season 5 of Hercules; disks from 3 different sets were unreadable in the BD drives, so I got out my Sony Multispeed (first DVD drive I bought), and it worked just fine.
fourwhitebears

Post by fourwhitebears »

Thank you so much for the information, that is very helpful. Since I have installed this internal BD drive on my computer already, I think I will just get a strictly DVD drive (usb) and use that when this happens. Would you still recommend the Sony Multispeed for this purpose? Or is there something more appropriate/newer/etc? Thanks again for the help Woodstock!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Multispeeds haven't been made in a LONG time; it dates back to the dawn of writable DVDs, with USB and Firewire interfaces. Since I've replaced all my internal drives with BD or UHD-BD capable drives, my 10-year-old Sony DRX-S70U has taken the Multispeed's place.

The important part is a "red laser" drive (DVD/CD only). If you've got an old laptop with a DVD drive in it, that will work.
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

I get the occasioinal 'no disc inserted' error. Usually after I've ripped one disc, put in another and the second disc isn't recognised.

Quite MakeMKV, restart and second disc is recognised. I don't want to say every single time but... most times.

I'm sure it's something to do with the second disc being 'smaller' than the first and Windows having a hard time of it. Pretty sure I read about a similar bug before...
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
fourwhitebears

Post by fourwhitebears »

I will look for a red laser dvd/cd usb drive then. I will also try quitting MakeMKV and restarting just for grins. Thanks again to everyone for the info.
fourwhitebears

Post by fourwhitebears »

Follow up: I purchased a Dell DW316 USB DVD drive for around $30. It was able to read and open and rip using MKV ALL ten of the problem discs that my new internal blu-ray drive could not b/c it was saying "No disc inserted". So that is a great and cheap workaround, it pays to have both a blu ray and a dvd red laser, as they seem to complement each other, and together, cover all the bases (at least so far). Thanks again for all the helpful info!
harmosciconillator

Post by harmosciconillator »

Just want to say thanks for this tip; using a red laser DVD player worked.

I have an 11-disc DVD documentary that has been passed around. The set is at least 10 years old and has acquired scuffs from handling. No deep scratches, mostly just friction from discs rubbing against each other (who's idea was it to stack 11 discs onto each other in one case, anyhow!?!)

My LG WH16NS60, which so far has gracefully handled everything I've put in it it, was unable to recognize the discs, usually spitting them out but sometimes letting MakeMKV get as far as the "Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB" error then declaring no disc inserted.

Attached a USB-powered LG GP60NB50 portable DVD rewriter and, although numbingly slow, it recognized the discs and MakeMKV did its thing.

Very much appreciate this community and the helpful information shared!
Oregonpaul

Post by Oregonpaul »

I am also getting this error...new discs...won't detect, they spin and seem to be reading then error our with no disc detected

Then I put an older dics in and up pops John Wick 3....yup..sees that disc...but not newer ones...say in the last couple of months.. :(

These are brand new cleaned (and I recleaned) discs...

Running 1.15.1 MKV version
JeanSmith

Post by JeanSmith »

Thank you for this answer...I had the same issue! using a red laser DVD player worked.