Mageia 7- won't run

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
hydrocat

Mageia 7- won't run

Post by hydrocat »

Loaded dependencies for the build, configured 1.14.4 with no problems. Compiled and during the middle of the compile got one warning:

Code: Select all

cc -g -O2 -D_linux_   -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -shared -Wl,-z,defs -oout/libmakemkv.so.1.full -I./libebml/inc -DEBML_NO_READ -DEBML_STRICT_API -DEBML_DEBUG \
-I./libmatroska/inc -I./libmakemkv/inc -I./sstring/inc -I./makemkvgui/inc -I./libabi/inc \
-I./libffabi/inc libebml/src/EbmlBinary.cpp libebml/src/EbmlContexts.cpp libebml/src/EbmlCrc32.cpp libebml/src/EbmlDate.cpp libebml/src/EbmlDummy.cpp libebml/src/EbmlElement.cpp libebml/src/EbmlFloat.cpp libebml/src/EbmlHead.cpp libebml/src/EbmlMaster.cpp libebml/src/EbmlSInteger.cpp libebml/src/EbmlString.cpp libebml/src/EbmlSubHead.cpp libebml/src/EbmlUInteger.cpp libebml/src/EbmlUnicodeString.cpp libebml/src/EbmlVersion.cpp libebml/src/EbmlVoid.cpp libebml/src/IOCallback.cpp libebml/src/MemIOCallback.cpp  libmatroska/src/FileKax.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxAttached.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxAttachments.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxBlock.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxBlockData.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxCluster.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxContexts.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxCues.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxCuesData.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxInfoData.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxSeekHead.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxSeggcc -g -O2 -D_linux_   -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -shared -Wl,-z,defs -oout/libmakemkv.so.1.full -I./libebml/inc -DEBML_NO_READ -DEBML_STRICT_API -DEBML_DEBUG \
-I./libmatroska/inc -I./libmakemkv/inc -I./sstring/inc -I./makemkvgui/inc -I./libabi/inc \
-I./libffabi/inc libebml/src/EbmlBinary.cpp libebml/src/EbmlContexts.cpp libebml/src/EbmlCrc32.cpp libebml/src/EbmlDate.cpp libebml/src/EbmlDummy.cpp libebml/src/EbmlElement.cpp libebml/src/EbmlFloat.cpp libebml/src/EbmlHead.cpp libebml/src/EbmlMaster.cpp libebml/src/EbmlSInteger.cpp libebml/src/EbmlString.cpp libebml/src/EbmlSubHead.cpp libebml/src/EbmlUInteger.cpp libebml/src/EbmlUnicodeString.cpp libebml/src/EbmlVersion.cpp libebml/src/EbmlVoid.cpp libebml/src/IOCallback.cpp libebml/src/MemIOCallback.cpp  libmatroska/src/FileKax.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxAttached.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxAttachments.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxBlock.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxBlockData.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxCluster.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxContexts.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxCues.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxCuesData.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxInfoData.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxSeekHead.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxSegment.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxTracks.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxVersion.cpp libmatroska/src/KaxSemantic.cpp libmakemkv/src/ebmlwrite.cpp libmakemkv/src/libmkv.cpp libmakemkv/src/version.cpp libmakemkv/src/world.cpp libmakemkv/src/stdstring.cpp  sstring/src/sstring.cpp \
libabi/src/ossl_aes.c libabi/src/ossl_sha.c libabi/src/ossl_ec.c libabi/src/zlib.c libabi/src/xpat.c libabi/src/libm.c libabi/src/httplinux.cpp makemkvgui/src/api_linux.cpp libabi/src/sys_linux.c makemkvgui/src/spawn_posix.cpp libffabi/src/ffabi.c libffabi/src/mlp.c libffabi/src/log.c libffabi/src/audio_convert.c libffabi/src/audio_mix.c libffabi/src/audio_mix_matrix.c \
-DHAVE_BUILDINFO_H -Itmp  \
-fPIC -Xlinker -dy -Xlinker --version-script=libmakemkv/src/libmakemkv.vers \
-Xlinker -soname=libmakemkv.so.1 -lc -lstdc++ -lcrypto -lz -lexpat -lavcodec -lavutil  -lrt -lm -lrt
libffabi/src/ffabi.c: In function ‘ffm_init’:
libffabi/src/ffabi.c:153:5: warning: ‘avcodec_register_all’ is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
     avcodec_register_all();
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from libffabi/src/ffabi.c:22:
/usr/include/libavcodec/avcodec.h:4102:6: note: declared here
 void avcodec_register_all(void);
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
however, the compile was otherwise successful. Installed it and the bin stuff. When I launch makemkv, will pop up the correct GUI and say "MakeMKV v1.14.4 linux (x64-release) started" followed by "Internal error: open ssl test 00FC failed" then "Downloading latest SDF to $HOME/.MakeMKV..." then it thinks about it several seconds and then a pop up appears says "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit." If I try a second time, it does the same thing, but without the "downloading" part.

Have been trying various things for hours and can't get past this. Have installed without issue on previous Mageia versions in the past without any issues. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks
hydrocat

Re: Mageia 7- won't run

Post by hydrocat »

Spent many more hours on this, over the last several days, still no success in Mageia 7. Tried fresh users, nope. Tried running as root, same problem. Tried Cinnamon desktop instead of Plasma. No change. Nothing in /var/log/messages of interest. No command-line errors presented.

Booted into my old Mageia 5 (installation (the previous OS, which is on another drive) and it works perfectly, so at least I know it isn't hardware, since I have a new MB/CPU. This is really a bummer!
Attachments
makemkv.png
makemkv.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 16727 times
hydrocat

Post by hydrocat »

Still no responses :( So I decided to try something else. I downloaded a live version of Fedora 30 (live respin, kernel 5.2.6) and booted into that. Loaded the appropriate support RPM packages (qt4&5 runtime/ffmpeg/etc). I mounted my Mageia 7.1 drive and "make install"'ed the version of makemkv I compiled under Mageia 7.1 into the RAM disk of the Fedora 30 live. Ran it, and it resulted in the exact same behavior and message as when I ran it under Mageia 7.1.

Then, while still in Fedora 30 Live, I installed the needed development rpm packages and performed a "make clean" then "configure" and "make install" of makemkv. Ran it, and makemkv appears to work fine.

This didn't get ME any further along the path of getting makemkv working under Mageia 7.1, but at least it is useful information. (Fedora 30 is close in layout, packages, and kernel to Mageia 7.1).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

To be honest with you, I had no idea a distribution named Mageia existed, even though I used to use Mandrake Linux over a decade ago. There may just not be enough people using MakeMKV on it to have figured out what packages need to be used.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
hydrocat

Post by hydrocat »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:48 pm
To be honest with you, I had no idea a distribution named Mageia existed, even though I used to use Mandrake Linux over a decade ago.
Mandrake became Mandriva, which then became Mageia (through forking). So it has been around for longer than all distros except Debian, Slackware, and Redhat (now Fedora). It is one of the major distros, most consider it in the top 10. Mageia, in design, is similar to Fedora and Suse.

https://www.howtogeek.com/191207/10-of- ... -compared/
There may just not be enough people using MakeMKV on it to have figured out what packages need to be used.
Probably. Never had a problem using Makemkv in Mandriva/Mageia until now. I wish the Makemkv program would spit out more information about what the problem might be.
xr200

Post by xr200 »

I don't know Mageia packaging.
Check what version of openssl headers you are using.
MakeMKV requires an old version, 0.9.8 I recall.
And as I recall, that doesn't mean "0.9.8 or greater", it
means "0.9.8" exactly.
I speculate that Mageia 5 is using 0.9.8 and Mageia 7
has upgraded to something newer.
If that guess is correct in your case, then try to figure
out how to compile makemkv on a system with 0.9.8
openssl (especially the headers). If you can do that,
in my experience, you can then install that compiled version on a system
with newer openssl and it will still run (if you have the
same versions of libraries installed on both machines).
Good Luck.
hydrocat

Post by hydrocat »

xr200 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:19 pm
Check what version of openssl headers you are using. MakeMKV requires an old version, 0.9.8 I recall. [...] I speculate that Mageia 5 is using 0.9.8 and Mageia 7 has upgraded to something newer. If that guess is correct in your case, then try to figure out how to compile makemkv on a system with 0.9.8 openssl (especially the headers). [...]
BINGO!! You led me to a productive path!

I went back and looked at everything:

Mageia 5 (which works):
lib64openssl1.0.0-1.0.2o-1.mga5
lib64openssl-devel-1.0.2o-1.mga5
openssl-1.0.2o-1.mga5

Mageia 7 (which fails):
lib64openssl1.1-1.1.0j-1.mga7
lib64openssl-devel-1.1.0j-1.mga7
lib64compat-openssl10_1.0.0-1.0.2r-1.mga7
openssl-1.1.0j-1.mga7

Fedora 30 (which works):
openssl-1.1.1c
compat-openssl10
compat-openssl10-devel

Note that Fedora has an even NEWER openssl. But I thought, perhaps their compatibility packages are different. This got me searching for OTHER openssl "compat" packages in Mageia 7.1. I found "compat-openssl110-devel" which was not installed. So I asked to install it which resulted in this warning:

The following packages have to be removed for others to be upgraded:
lib64openssl-devel-1.1.0j-1.mga7.x86_64
(due to conflicts with lib64compat-openssl10-devel-1.0.2r-1.mga7.x86_64)
lib64qt5base5-devel-5.12.2-2.mga7.x86_64
(due to unsatisfied lib64qt5network-devel == 5.12.2-2.mga7)
lib64qt5network-devel-5.12.2-2.mga7.x86_64
(due to unsatisfied pkgconfig(openssl) >= 1.1)

I said "what the hell" and allowed it to continue. I then did a make clean, configure, make, make install, it all looked the same as last time (at least from a casual glancing). BUT THIS TIME IT WORKED WHEN I RAN IT!!! I think lib64compat-openssl10_1.0.0-1.0.2r-1.mga7 doesn't cut it. Looks like it might cause problems with development of network qt5 apps, but I suppose I will cross that bridge some other day.

So your speculation about exactly which versions of openssl development was 100% correct. Thank you so much for your help!
xr200

Post by xr200 »

Congratulations, I'm happy you got it working.

I think you could now undo what you just did: in other words, you could
uninstall what you just installed, and re-install what you un-installed,
and makemkv would continue to run. I think you only need to
have the old version of openssl devel installed when you compile
makemkv, but not when you run it. I agree that sounds
unbelievable. I can't explain it. It's up to you if you want
to test that for yourself.
hydrocat

Post by hydrocat »

xr200 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:20 pm
I think you could now undo what you just did: in other words, you could uninstall what you just installed, and re-install what you un-installed, and makemkv would continue to run.
Yep, it should work that way. As long as I don't need to compile anything else (which I probably don't, I should be good leaving it this way, though :)

It looks like it is probably time for the makemkv developers to start adding code to support newer versions of SSL so the compat libraries/headers aren't needed. Of course, that is easy for me to say, it might be a very difficult undertaking. I expect we will start seeing more distro problems in the future, some might start dropping the older compatibility completely. Anyway, thanks again.
WarpinWolf4

Post by WarpinWolf4 »

Just to confirm - solutions is working for me as well (Mageia 7):
- install compat-openssl110-devel
- accept de-installation of the three modules mentioned above
- go to makemkv-oss-1.14.4 & make clean;configure;make; sudo make install
- don't forget to "modprobe sg" - make it permanent by adding a line in /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf stating sg (--> https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17583)

Many thanks to hydrocat for going after that AND for posting the solution!!!!