Step-by-step guide for the best (IMHO) drive: LG WH16NS60

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
libreme

Re: Step-by-step guide for the best (IMHO) drive: LG WH16NS60

Post by libreme »

Thanks for the reply. BD is good enough for my simple taste. However, I have been getting a lot of problems ripping certain BD titles though. There are two types of issues I've been getting.

The first type quit and gives me these error messages:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/01007.m2ts' at offset '309522432'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '309522432'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '309522432'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/01007.m2ts' at offset '309522432'

The second type shows that the drive is ripping. I can see the progress bar moving along and the time count down to a few minutes left then it starts to count back up. Next thing you know it says 5 hours remaining and keeps counting up.

The discs are clean too. I tried different drives and different disc same movie and same issues.

Is this the disc or the drive that's causing the problem?

Is there a way to fix this?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The drive is trying "too hard" to recover data from the disk. While it's doing that, the operating system times out, and declares the drive off-line.

USB-powered drives have a different issue that looks much the same in the errors; they start spinning faster than they have power for, and go off-line.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
libreme

Post by libreme »

My drives are internal drives not sure if that matters.

So there are really no solution to this problem?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

libreme wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:02 am
My drives are internal drives not sure if that matters.

So there are really no solution to this problem?
1. Again, this is off topic. Standard Blu-ray issues are discussed here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

No need to hijack this thread for something completely unrelated. Feel free to post there and other fellow BD ripping members can also assist/advise.

2. Try other ripping software to help troubleshoot and further rule out items. Some other apps can succeed where MakeMKV fails and vice versa. There are plenty of options for standard BD ripping. If they all do the same for those disc (meaning, they all fail to back them up in any way), then it may in fact be the disc or the drives.
turntable97

Post by turntable97 »

Hey guys,
Just received my WH16NS60 from the US.
Find the label attached.
It's manufactured in July 2019 (v 1.02)

Do you think there's a problem in flashing TP 1.02MK or 1.00?
Attachments
20191024_171923.jpg
20191024_171923.jpg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 25704 times
turntable97

Post by turntable97 »

... and will there be a problem with playing Region B blurays?
Thanks in Advance!!!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

turntable97 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:28 pm
Hey guys,
Just received my WH16NS60 from the US.
Find the label attached.
It's manufactured in July 2019 (v 1.02)

Do you think there's a problem in flashing TP 1.02MK or 1.00?
No I have flashed a ton of those 7/22/19 ones very good build date none defective so far
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
turntable97

Post by turntable97 »

thank you guys very much!
i flashed it to 1.02MK first, but then I decided to flash it back to 1.00
as it's only possible to watch 4K blurays (with dvdfab player) on 1.00.

so SamuriHL was right, 1.00 is indeed the best firmware for this drive!
very happy now and future-proofed for a while ;)

but i have to say...
i really doubt the whole 4k bluray thing will be very successful if it is THAAAAT hard & complicated to even watch them.
i hope there will be progress in the future and it gets more accessible for non-nerdy people like us ;)
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

turntable97 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:09 pm

but i have to say...
i really doubt the whole 4k bluray thing will be very successful if it is THAAAAT hard & complicated to even watch them.
i hope there will be progress in the future and it gets more accessible for non-nerdy people like us ;)
That’s because the focus for 4K/UHD playback by the studios vastly resides in the standalone player/home theater side of the business. That is where the vast majority of the money/profit is for the studios and player manufacturers. Not in or for the PC community.

Don’t hold tour breath for anything “easier” or better in the future, as studios really don’t care about PC playback/support. They have intentionally put these roads blocks in place for PCs.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Glad that worked out for you.

As for the complexity of playing back UHD, I don't think they care. Honestly I believe the long term play over the next few years is to phase out disc based solutions entirely. I think they're waiting for ubiquitous 5G coverage before they really start trying to whack it completely, though. If you look at disney+ it's clear what direction Disney wants people moving in. Purchasing their movies is not it. Sadly they don't seem to get that people like me end up paying far more in discs per year than I will in streaming revenue, but, I don't think it matters. But yes, I agree that playback on a PC was more a courtesy to PowerDVD than anything. AFAIK they're the only game in town and there's a very heavy set of restrictions on making that trusted chain work. I have the equipment and never got it to work right. The HTPC market is more niche than UHD, I'm afraid.
Metropolis

Post by Metropolis »

Hi, I followed your guide and updated the firmware on my LG WH16NS60 in a External OWC Mercury Pro 5.25 USB Case on a PC. It worked fine on the PC, and the firmware checked out fine in MakeMKV. But when I connected it to my iMac the Mac could not see it anymore. It won't show up again. It connected fine before the firmware update. I have to use it with the Mac. But now it's just a brick :(

Any ideas? Thanks.
mgadbois

Post by mgadbois »

I have been trying to determine what firmware (and where exactly to get it) for my new LG WH16NS60 driver I just got today. I have tried these to firmwares and can't seem to get the Unrestricted speed enabled. I will only be using this drive for ripping 4K UHD discs for Plex.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Here is my Drive Info:
Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: KLBJ8PG4706
Firmware date: 2117-04-25 17:56
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 70

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

Firmwares I have tried...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (7.09 KiB) Viewed 25508 times
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mgadbois wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:23 am
I have been trying to determine what firmware (and where exactly to get it) for my new LG WH16NS60 driver I just got today. I have tried these to firmwares and can't seem to get the Unrestricted speed enabled. I will only be using this drive for ripping 4K UHD discs for Plex.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Here is my Drive Info:
Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: KLBJ8PG4706
Firmware date: 2117-04-25 17:56
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 70

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

Firmwares I have tried...
Capture.PNG
Unrestricted Read Speed is a feature that has not yet been implemented, so it is not enabled on any firmware.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
mgadbois

Post by mgadbois »

Thanks for the feedback. I thought that I read somewhere that the read speeds would be faster using Libre Mode than when not using it. Was I mistaken?
What firmware should I be using for this drive? I 1.0 sufficient or is there a better one somewhere I should be using?

Thanks.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

mgadbois wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:35 pm
Thanks for the feedback. I thought that I read somewhere that the read speeds would be faster using Libre Mode than when not using it. Was I mistaken?
What firmware should I be using for this drive? I 1.0 sufficient or is there a better one somewhere I should be using?

Thanks.
There are discussions like this regarding cross-flashing to achieve marginal gains:

Ultimate UHD Drives Guide Updated 2019 post #81

but, as noted, there are trade-offs. You appear to already have one of the fastest drive/FW combos.

'Unrestricted read speed' is a 'future' feature:

Unrestricted Read Speed: Possible, Not Yet Enabled