List of uhd discs with Atmos audio dropping out

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
omk1980

List of uhd discs with Atmos audio dropping out

Post by omk1980 »

Hi guys

Saw an earlier post mentioning audio dropouts for high bitrate Atmos tracks in the mkv container. Was hoping to shed more of a light on this rather annoying issue.

I encountered it the first time with toy story 4. After a few minutes, audio from the Atmos track will break up and sometimes not come back. Seems like only the Atmos track is affected. I'm using my nas to play 4k uhd backups on my Nvidia shield.

Looking through this and a few other forums. I noticed that there was a lot of Disney/Pixar/Marvel movies on the list. Was hoping to compile a list of these movies with timestamps where the drop-out occurs. If this could get stickied, that would be great.

From what I've read/observed, these discs are problematic:

Incredibles 2
Coco
Ralph breaks the internet
One of the pirates of the Caribbean movies
Mazerunner
Guardians vol. 2 at 1:09 during the explosion with taserface.
Toy story 4: 34:55, 35:10, 36:15, 40:30, 41:38, 44:39, 46, 48, 48:35, 53:45 and a lot more but didn't document.

If you have noticed other discs that have this issue, let us know.

If anyone has a solution to this problem, please share.
Last edited by omk1980 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
omk1980

Re: Atmos audio dropping out

Post by omk1980 »

Oh yeah, I've read through this one. The purpose of this post was to compile a list of problematic discs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Re: List of uhd discs with Atmos audio dropping out

Post by SamuriHL »

That's easy. Pixar/Disney. Done. :)
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

The problem is Disney owns like half the studios now.

Anyway to get around this without doing a full backup bdmv folder and buying an oppo?

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's why I linked to that thread. Another product from Elby has done extensive work to fix this problem. Since they rewrote their MLP support, I've not had a single dropout with ATMOS in an MKV container. My workflow these days is to rip to backup folder with MakeMKV and then process that with CloneBD to create the MKV. Works well for me. YMMV.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

SamuriHL wrote:That's why I linked to that thread. Another product from Elby has done extensive work to fix this problem. Since they rewrote their MLP support, I've not had a single dropout with ATMOS in an MKV container. My workflow these days is to rip to backup folder with MakeMKV and then process that with CloneBD to create the MKV. Works well for me. YMMV.
Very cool. Ill give it a try. Thanks for your help.