Super NOOB101 / Doctor Who & Ultraman BluRays

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Xoanon

Super NOOB101 / Doctor Who & Ultraman BluRays

Post by Xoanon »

After reading as much as I can on the boards and not knowing where to begin, I'll post here in hopes someone can direct or redirect me to the appropriate forum. I come from the old days of Regular DVDs and DVD Shrink. My PC optical drive doesn't even support BluRays. I notice that many of the posts are related to UHD 4K but I am interested in standard BluRay format for now, I think??? Please excuse my lack of terminology as well.

Anyway, can someone please recommend a good sturdy, External USB BluRay drive that is "rip-friendly". My computer is a 2014 HP Envy running Windows 10 Home & ConvertXtoVideo Ultimate (paid). The sets I'm interested in are the season sets of classic Doctor Who & MillCreek's Ultraman series that are being released in standard BluRay format (I believe). Any and all comments, help or links are greatly appreciated!
Woodstock

Re: Super NOOB101 / Doctor Who & Ultraman BluRays

Post by Woodstock »

Most any USB Bluray drive will work for "simple" BDs. If 4K UHD isn't on your agenda, you've got dozens of choices in the USD25-150 range. Even some of the "Official UHD" drives that cannot be used for ripping UHD right now, like the LiteON EB-1, work great for ripping CD, DVD, and BD content.

If you DO think about moving to 4K UHD in the future, your least expensive options are going to be UHD-friendly internal drives, in a USB enclosure.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Xoanon

Post by Xoanon »

Thank you so much for the information! Now, I just need to sort through the deluge on Amazon and find one worthwhile that I don't mind Amazon breaking when they ship. lol

Seriously though, I did find an Archgon for ~$120 that might do the trick but I won't buy from Amazon and they are out on the actual site. Appreciate the tip on using a UHD for standard BluRays as well. Any other brands stand out in your mind (LG, Panasonic, etc.)? Thanks again!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I have several LG drives here, and a couple of Asus. Half are compatible with LibreDrive, half not. I have not had issues with them ripping BD or DVD content.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging