Libredrive possible but not enabled

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
rushfanyyz

Libredrive possible but not enabled

Post by rushfanyyz »

Hey guys, been using makemkv for maybe a month or so. Awesome program, thanks to all involved!!

So here's my story and issue. I have 2 LG WH14NS40 drives mounted in my windows 10 pc. One I've had for a few years, the other I added last month. The one i recently added was used to try and rip "crawl," which in turn revoked my aacs.

At the time, I was new and dumb, so I did not know what libredrive was or what it it. I'm just reading about it now, but my understanding is that if it is running, it will not revoke a drives aacs if a disc has a higher number than the current makemkv version?

My drive I have had a little longer says libredrive is enabled, my newer one, which now has the aacs issue, reads "possible, not enabled. Drive platform MT1059"

My understanding is libredrive gets enabled automatically somehow? My pc in question is generally kept offline, so I'm not very surprised this drive does not have it. I assume my other got it during some point when I had my pc connected to a network.

I connected this pc online and ripped a few discs I burned with no luck. I tried a legit copy of "exorcist 3," a disc i had copied a few times previously. At first when I was offline it would not work in the drive which was compromised, but dart trying while online it seemed to rip, yet I still have libredrive listed as not enabled.

At this point i just want to reliably use both drives with discs containing aacs levels which are compatible with makemkv. What do I need to do at this point until there is a new version of the program, or with the exorcist 3 working after connecting online, am i good to go? And how would I go about enabling libredrive so i dont worry again about a revoked drive?
Grauhaar

Re: Libredrive possible but not enabled

Post by Grauhaar »

rushfanyyz wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:58 am
but my understanding is that if it is running, it will not revoke a drives aacs if a disc has a higher number than the current makemkv version?
The drive was revoked due to an updated key revocation table which prohibts MakeMKV from accessing it. This came normaly with newer AACS versions, but can come also be with older AACS.
My understanding is libredrive gets enabled automatically somehow?
No, this is not done automaticaly. You must flash with a special flasher the libredrive compatble firmware on the drive to get it enabled. After this libredrive can access the drive without limitations.

Read the pinned Threads in the forum to get all informations.
Good Luck :)

Post by rushfanyyz »

Thank you for the response. 2 questions:

How is the drive, which was revoked and not working with makemkv, now working to rip a blu ray when all I did to get a disc which was not working, was to connect to the internet?

And secondly a 2 part question, how is my other drive running libredrive if I have never flashed it? I read in this very forum that it will install automatically. If that's not true, where can I find the steps to do so?
rushfanyyz

Post by rushfanyyz »

This thread says libredrive is automatic upon inserting a disc. Which one is correct?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19022
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

My understanding is libredrive gets enabled automatically somehow? My pc in question is generally kept offline, so I'm not very surprised this drive does not have it. I assume my other got it during some point when I had my pc connected to a network.
Many drives require firmware updates but some, like the WH14NS40 (NS50), will become LibreDrive activated with the factory firmware. This will happen with the 1.00, 1.01 and 1.02 firmware once and SDF.bin is downloaded and installed by MakeMKV.

Your newer drive may have firmware 1.03 which should be replaced with the MK1.03 firmware for that drive. The firmware version is shown in the BR drive information panel on MakeMKV. Both of your machines have already installed SDF.bin since you would not get any LibreDrive information without it.

Read https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=18856 for more information.
rushfanyyz

Post by rushfanyyz »

jinx100 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:03 am
Many drives require firmware updates but some, like the WH14NS40 (NS50), will become LibreDrive activated with the factory firmware. This will happen with the 1.00, 1.01 and 1.02 firmware once and SDF.bin is downloaded and installed by MakeMKV.

Your newer drive may have firmware 1.03 which should be replaced with the MK1.03 firmware for that drive. The firmware version is shown in the BR drive information panel on MakeMKV. Both of your machines have already installed SDF.bin since you would not get any LibreDrive information without it.

Read https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=18856 for more information.
That makes sense. I'm not at my computer right now but I remember the 2 drives showing different firmware versions. Last night I enabled the network and put in a disc, the drive with the current issues gave the message "downloading sdf..." and I just left it to do its thing, after that I was
Anle to rip exorcist 3 again. Where can I find the file and a walkthrough to install MK1.03? thanks
rushfanyyz

Post by rushfanyyz »

here is the info i get for the 2 drives. also, i have tried the flash tool, and get error code "write dram ng 05/26/03"

Problem Drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: H:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: M02J56G5147
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 13:51
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959

Disc Information
Label: Exorcist_III_Disc_2
Timestamp: 2016-09-07 15:37:47
Data capacity: 43.83 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

Working Drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SIK9TG9TF322
Firmware date: 2115-12-11 15:03
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

Disc Information
Label: Exorcist_III_Disc_2
Timestamp: 2016-09-07 15:37:47
Data capacity: 43.83 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

There are two modified firmware updaters, called LG and Asus but Asus uses LG hardware so either should work.

LG modified: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=18873
Asus modified: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=18933

The MK firmware collection: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=19113

If your drive is internal and uses SATA, the LG modified updater should work. That link goes to a Polish forum and when you click the file link you'll get a warning about leaving the forum. Click through that to finally reach the file hosting site.

Be sure to select the proper firmware for your particular drive from the MK collection, I think the folder icon opens a file browser.

The 1.04 firmware is fairly new. I'm not sure there is a 1.04 MK firmware for your WH14NS40. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

Good Luck!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Just flash WH16NS60 1.02mk and be done with it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
rushfanyyz

Post by rushfanyyz »

Cool, I'm out of town for tonight but I'll try that particular flash file. Each time I've tried a few different things I've gotten that error described above, however
rushfanyyz

Post by rushfanyyz »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:05 pm
Just flash WH16NS60 1.02mk and be done with it
Tried to flash with that, and get "write DRAM NG 05/26/03" error
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

rushfanyyz wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:09 am

works for me just did one 5 mins ago Make sure you are using WH16NS60 not 40
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
rushfanyyz

Post by rushfanyyz »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:25 am
rushfanyyz wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:09 am

works for me just did one 5 mins ago Make sure you are using WH16NS60 not 40
Does not work for me. Error.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

rushfanyyz wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:51 am

what is the full name of the file you are flashing?
rushfanyyz

Post by rushfanyyz »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:18 am
rushfanyyz wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:51 am

what is the full name of the file you are flashing?
The exact one you suggested. However, googling the error code I found a thread in this forum which detailed my exact problem with an unusual solution which worked and I am now flashed with the file you suggested. forum post as follows and is how I worked around it

MartyMcNuts
Re: LG BH16NS55 Firmware 1.04 (and possibly other new drives)
Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Good idea Billy!

I had tried:

LG 1.02 = failed
LG 1.03 = failed
LG 1.03-MK = failed
ASUS 3.03-MK = failed

Just grabbed the latest MK pack and tried ASUS 3.10-MK. SUCCESS!!!

Now running a UHD test to see if it works as expected.

It's a bit unfortunate that currently I am unable to extract the 1.04 firmware to look at.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747