AACS 2.1 support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Merlyn6175

Re: AACS 2.1 support

Post by Merlyn6175 »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:42 am
Creating a protected ISO will not work as FMTS/M2TS will fail hash check.

No issues at all if the decryption is made from the physical disk. :wink:
I used MakeMKV to backup the encrypted files weeks ago for zombieland and standby me,then used Nero to to make an ISO.mounted it with Virtual Clonedrive.
I had no problems Decrypting them with MakeMKV 1.14.6 or 1.14.7
hernanez

Post by hernanez »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:52 pm
I've created a protected ISO with another software and now MakeMKV decrypt it with no hash errors at all.
Nice!
And what software is that?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I didn't get a chance to stop and grab an AACS 2.1 movie after work. I may go this weekend and get one though.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

hernanez wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:26 pm
Nice!
And what software is that?
Daemon Tools Pro or Astroburn Pro.
hernanez

Post by hernanez »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 am
Daemon Tools Pro or Astroburn Pro.
imgburn works too? what did you use that didn't work?
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

With AnyDVD HD the resulting ISO is not working with MakeMKV, but this happens only on my Fury UHD disc (AACS2.1).
hernanez

Post by hernanez »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:42 am
With AnyDVD HD the resulting ISO is not working with MakeMKV, but this happens only on my Fury UHD disc (AACS2.1).
Ah.
And with the ones you used, you did an makemkv backup first and then the iso? or something like SamuraiHL?
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

In order to avoid physical scratches I always made a protected ISO first, then I mount it via Windows 10 Pro mount option (right click on ISO image files),
I open it with MakeMKV and it always decrypt it without any issues at all.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea I do the same thing if a disc isn't supported. (If it's supported, I make a decrypted backup folder and then process that). Depending on which drive I use to read the unsupported disc, I either use AnyDVD (ASUS drive) or LibreDrive/ImgBurn (NS60) to create the protected ISO. I've not run into issues with either method. I'm going to try to run out later today and see if I can grab one of these discs just I have one in my collection and see what happens when making a protected ISO.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Couldn't get my hands on zombieland but grabbed Stand By Me so I'll play with that one after GoT S8 is finished ripping.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:01 am
I usually create a protected iso while waiting for makemkv to support new titles.
Why ISO? (I mean "why" in a sense "what is the benefit", not to offend you or discuss what particular workflow or tools are better.)
Why not non-decrypted backup (same as ISO but files). Is there any "standard" for protected ISO, i.e. where all the key-related information is stored in SIO, that normally gets stored in iscatt.dat of MakeMKV backup?
What usually happens next after "protected" iso is mounted - convert to mkv (why not file->open then), decrypted backup, any other tools?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Mike,

I think the answer is quite easy. Making a protected ISO and then mounting it with either Windows 10 or any other tool gives us the opportunity to decrypt it with whatever software that is capable to decrypt this disc first. Be it your software or your competitor's. Sometimes your program is first, sometimes the competition is first.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:51 pm
I think the answer is quite easy. Making a protected ISO and then mounting it with either Windows 10 or any other tool gives us the opportunity to decrypt it with whatever software that is capable to decrypt this disc first. Be it your software or your competitor's. Sometimes your program is first, sometimes the competition is first.
The ISO format has no means to save key-related metadata from the disc, and without such metadata it is impossible to decrypt the ISO when bus-encryption is not disabled (with LibreDrive for example).
My first question is whether AnyDVD uses some sort of extension to save such metadata, and whether CloneDrive or whatever can use such metadata and emulate the protected disc. I honestly don't know, but I doubt it.

When making a non-decrypted backup with MakeMKV, all disc key-related metadata is saved to the file discatt.dat . Without this file decryption is often hard or even impossible. I wonder how it is handled in case of "protected" iso.

The second question - are there any different results when opening a mounted ISO versus File->open command in MakeMKV (it can open ISO files directly, just in case). If they are, I ought to make a support whatever ISO extensions AnyDVD uses.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Mike,

I really appreciate that you try that your program is as much as possible compatible with other software. That's not a given since some developpers or companies try to be not.

The question has to go forward to @Marty and / or @TerryRaspin since I stiil have no AACS2.1 disc.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Mike,

do not waste time with "protected" ISO files, if the same and working functionality is given with the MakeMKV backup function. For me, there is no need to use "protected" ISO files.
Good Luck :)