Do I Need LibreDrive

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
TheFatWookie

Do I Need LibreDrive

Post by TheFatWookie »

So brand new noob here and very sorry if I am about to ask something that has been answered here. I am running MacOS Catalina, MakeMKV 1.14.7, and have a Pioneer Blu-Ray drive. In fact here are the details on that drive from MakeMKV:

Drive Information
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-XS06
Revision: 1.10
Serial number: QLDL020970UC
Firmware date: 2017-06-22
Bus encryption flags: 13
Highest AACS version: 65

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8722
Firmware version: GENE

I have ripped hundreds of DVDs/Blu-Rays so far without a hiccup so far thanks to the wonderful work of everybody here. Thanks! Today I just received my Season 8 of GoT Blu-Ray discs (regular 1080p Blu-Ray not 4K UHD discs) and now I am scared to put into my drive because I am seeing how some people have and their drive revoked because the discs they were trying to rip had a higher AACS version than the drive (or what is in MakeMKV). After reading the article on "What is LibreDrive" I think I understand that a drive that has had its firmware upgraded/flashed with files available here make the revocation moot? I think I also understand from what I have read here that my drive can't be upgraded/flashed (it is newer than late 2015 but still has an old 1.10 Revision..?)

Anyways, I wasn't looking to try to flash my drive, but for us "Non-LibreDrive" folks here are my questions:

If my drive say Highest AACS version is 65 (from above) and if I put discs in that are some thing higher (I think someone mention there AACS was v72 on some movie) will it revoke my drive and brick it?
Does MakeMKV somehow alter this. I noticed that MakeMKV 1.14.7 darwin release notes says is has AACS v70? So I am good as long as the AACS version is below 70, regardless of what my drive says?
If it gets revoked, Do I understand correctly that it can be unrevoked if the next version of MakeMKV has the newer version of AACS?
Should I be asking what AACS version the GoT discs are?

Again sorry if these are dumb question and tanks in advance.
Grauhaar

Re: Do I Need LibreDrive

Post by Grauhaar »

The drive tolds the highest AACS version processed for far! There is no firmware to "upgrade" the drive to support AACS Version xyz.

The GoT Blu-rays comes with AACS 72 and a key revocation list thats blocks now the MakeMKV key to access the drive. With Libredrive enabled drives, the software bypasses all security checks and the drive itself is not revoked and the data can be processed with the current MakeMV version.
Good Luck :)

Post by TheFatWookie »

Grauhaar wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:48 pm
The drive tolds the highest AACS version processed for far! There is no firmware to "upgrade" the drive to support AACS Version xyz.

The GoT Blu-rays comes with AACS 72 and a key revocation list thats blocks now the MakeMKV key to access the drive. With Libredrive enabled drives, the software bypasses all security checks and the drive itself is not revoked and the data can be processed with the current MakeMV version.
Thanks. So since my drive is not LibreDirve enabled, I need to wait until MakeMKV has the key for AACS v72, right? I think I saw where someone who recently had their Drive revoked because of AACS v72 already submitted a file log to the administrator. As I have said I have not yet put the GoT S8 discs into my drive yet so all is good for now.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

TheFatWookie wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:30 pm
I need to wait until MakeMKV has the key for AACS v72, right?
No, But MakMKV needs a new Key to access the drive, because the old one is revoked by using a disc with an updaded revocation table.

MakeMKV can already handle AACS 72 with Libredrive access. My GoT S8 discs works very well with MakeMKV.
Good Luck :)

Post by TheFatWookie »

Grauhaar wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:29 am
TheFatWookie wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:30 pm
I need to wait until MakeMKV has the key for AACS v72, right?
No, But MakMKV needs a new Key to access the drive, because the old one is revoked by using a disc with an updaded revocation table.

MakeMKV can already handle AACS 72 with Libredrive access. My GoT S8 discs works very well with MakeMKV.
That you for your replies, but also I am still confused. In your first sentence you said MakeMKV needs a new Key to access the drive. In your next sentence you said MakeMKV can already handle AACS 72 with Libredrive. But since my drive cannot be libredrive enabled, for MY situation do I still have to wait until MakeMKV has a new key that handles AACS 72?

How does MakeMKV get a new key? Is it a version update or does MakeMKV download something upon opening (once the application author has enough information for the new key)?

Also to be clear I have not put these GoT S8 discs in my drive yet for this very reason. My drive and MakeMKV are working right now, as I am ripping older stufff as we speak.
TheFatWookie

Post by TheFatWookie »

Actually I think my question is is also answered in this post:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... nfo#p79714

Sorry I was unable to find this earlier before I began posting.