Disc ejecting randomly

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Guphanti

Disc ejecting randomly

Post by Guphanti »

I have ripped hundreds of my Blu-Rays using this Blu-Ray drive, an LG WH14NS40. Today I was ripping Shrek, and for some reason, I am having this weird problem with MakeMKV where the disc just ejects randomly on its own. There is no error message or read error or anything. It's going right along, then all of a sudden the drive stops and ejects. In MakeMKV I see:

Code: Select all

Saving 1 titles into directory //synology_nas/Media/Movies
Error 'Scsi error - NOT READY:MEDIUM NOT PRESENT - TRAY OPEN' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '4837736448'
Error 'OS error - {No Disk} There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive hs' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '4837736448'
Error 'OS error - {No Disk} There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive hs' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '4837736448'
I also tried ripping it in AnyDVD since I couldn't figure out how to fix MakeMKV, and AnyDVD is doing the same thing. It gets to a certain point and then the drive just stops and ejects. Any time there is a read error (scratch, etc.) the disc slows down and ticks for a while before giving the read error and quitting. It never just stops and ejects the disc.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Disc ejecting randomly

Post by Woodstock »

Actually, it is not either program ejecting the disk, it's the drive itself. For some reason, it isn't detecting that the disk is formatted. It would probably be the same if you told the operating system to copy the disk contents to a directory; when it hits the bad spot, the disk will be ejected.

I've seen this behavior when the disk is damaged (as in cracked, not just scratched).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
allUrBaseRBelong2Gus

Post by allUrBaseRBelong2Gus »

I am running into the same issue on my pair of DVD drives. If one is inserted, the other will eject even if it's in the middle of a rip.
-The drive numbers are different.
-Windows recognizes both drives in device manager.
-Edited the registry
-Removed and readded devices did not work.
Getting the same errors in MakeMKV as OP.
I can rip as fine as long as I only have one disc inserted at a time.
Curious if anyone else has seen this as well
ilovebabyyoda

Post by ilovebabyyoda »

I'm having the same problem as well.

Code: Select all

udf: UDF mount: error reading volume space
Error 'Scsi error - NOT READY:MEDIUM NOT PRESENT - TRAY OPEN' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GHB0N A100' at offset '32768'
Only a problem if trying to run two or more instances
ilovebabyyoda

Post by ilovebabyyoda »

I was having the same problem. I could resolve it by closing both instances. Then reopening as an administrator.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Do you have 'Ask for single drive mode' checked on the 'IO' preferences tab? This setting is intended to prevent multiple MakeMKV instances from interfering with each other.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If an instance of MakeMKV thinks it has control over "all drives", and it senses a drive closure while it is reading another disk's directory, it will open the "offending" drive as soon as it finishes loading the disk it is working on.

Single drive mode prevents this.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pjarvi

Post by pjarvi »

allUrBaseRBelong2Gus wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:39 pm
I am running into the same issue on my pair of DVD drives. If one is inserted, the other will eject even if it's in the middle of a rip.
-The drive numbers are different.
-Windows recognizes both drives in device manager.
-Edited the registry
-Removed and readded devices did not work.
Getting the same errors in MakeMKV as OP.
I can rip as fine as long as I only have one disc inserted at a time.
Curious if anyone else has seen this as well
I was recently running into this issue of a disc ejecting in the middle of a rip, then I realized I was redeeming the digital codes while it was ripping and some of them were redeeming in iTunes. Opening and closing iTunes was causing the disc to eject. LOL! Was starting to get worried my drive was bad.