AV synchronization issues since last update to 1.14.7

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Gingus

AV synchronization issues since last update to 1.14.7

Post by Gingus »

Since the latest update to 1.14.7, all of my 4k blu ray rips have completed with the message "AV synchronisation issues were found in file".

Anyone else seeing this, and is it an issue? Will these titles need to be re-ripped?

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: AV synchronization issues since last update to 1.14.7

Post by Woodstock »

See: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21079&p=82491&hilit=issues#p82491

No, you do not have to re-rip.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Gingus

Post by Gingus »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:24 pm
See: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21079&p=82491&hilit=issues#p82491

No, you do not have to re-rip.
OK, great, thank you for the response!
Somebody Else

Post by Somebody Else »

Gingus wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:44 pm
Since the latest update to 1.14.7, all of my 4k blu ray rips have completed with the message "AV synchronisation issues were found in file".

Anyone else seeing this, and is it an issue? Will these titles need to be re-ripped?

Thanks
Also using v1.14.7 here. I've been getting this error repeatedly in the last month, only mine happen when ripping Blu-rays - mostly Sony titles, but not always. The MK4 files created by the rip have no audio (or the wrong language), even though it displays "English" for the audio type, when I play them back. I saw an answer that claimed no re-ripping is needed to fix. I have over a dozen titles with this issue. How do I resolve this?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

This isn't the same issue.

Did you recently tell MakeMKV you have a "preferred language", in Preferences->Language?
Somebody Else

Post by Somebody Else »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 pm

Did you recently tell MakeMKV you have a "preferred language", in Preferences->Language?
Yes I have. I started doing that in response to two rips done using 1.14.6, using the default values (i.e. no language preference) in the install version. Rips of two blu-rays (Paramount's SHANE, and New World's LOST IN SPACE) produced a MK4 with non-English tracks as the default language, and no English tracks at all. At that point I set up Expert Mode to force the selection of English audio and subtitles for any/all rips. Since then, 1.14.7 has been released and now I'm getting (in as many as 50% of cases) no audio or subtitle tracks at all.
Somebody Else

Post by Somebody Else »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 pm
Last word: every rip of mine that resulted in a "no audio" file also generated the same error message "AV synchronisation issues were found in file xxxx.mk4" as this thread began with. How is that not the same issue?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Because the AVsync messages are a bug in the display of the "no forced subtitles" message. If there really were AVsync issues, there would be information about how far out of sync the audio was, and what was done to correct it. It will not prevent audio being put into the MKV file.

Lack of audio is usually from no selected tracks, OR the tracks you selected are not compatible with your player.

In the case of setting a preferred language, MakeMKV will ignore any track not in that language. This will mean that a lot of foreign language stuff will have no audio in the MKV, and even some native language stuff, if the tracks do not have a proper marking. I've purchased a number of DVDs and BDs that will refer to a Japanese or Chinese language track as "English", to make players play it (there is no English track). This is why my work flow is to grab ALL tracks, and sort them out later.
Somebody Else

Post by Somebody Else »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:25 am
Because the AVsync messages are a bug in the display of the "no forced subtitles" message. If there really were AVsync issues, there would be information about how far out of sync the audio was, and what was done to correct it. It will not prevent audio being put into the MKV file.

Lack of audio is usually from no selected tracks, OR the tracks you selected are not compatible with your player.

In the case of setting a preferred language, MakeMKV will ignore any track not in that language. This will mean that a lot of foreign language stuff will have no audio in the MKV, and even some native language stuff, if the tracks do not have a proper marking. I've purchased a number of DVDs and BDs that will refer to a Japanese or Chinese language track as "English", to make players play it (there is no English track). This is why my work flow is to grab ALL tracks, and sort them out later.
Thank you for the explanation! I've since unchecked Expert Mode *and* erased the field info for it, and tried a new rip. I've also gone through and insured that the checkboxes for all audio files are checked before ripping. All that done, and I'm still getting no audio (always in the main movie file, never had an issue with bonus content ripped in the same session). Any ideas?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The player shows no audio tracks, or no audio plays?

What player are you using? I know that some (all?) versions of VLC have issues with DTS-HD MA tracks. Windows needs "codec packs" for the Microsoft player apps.
Somebody Else

Post by Somebody Else »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:08 pm
The player shows no audio tracks, or no audio plays?

What player are you using? I know that some (all?) versions of VLC have issues with DTS-HD MA tracks. Windows needs "codec packs" for the Microsoft player apps.
Two Microsoft-authored players give me the same results - Microsoft Movies & TV, and Windows Media Player. The names of the audio tracks are displayed (and are selectable), but neither playback produces any audio, despite the audio file being selected (and selectable, if more than one is present). This happens with both 5.1 DTS and 2.0 Dolby Digital audio. Movies & TV has been my default app for opening MAKEMKV movie rips.

I just discovered that when I open the same file using VLC, it gives me no trouble. The playback includes the audio track(s). And when I stream the file over Plex, the Plex playback app also picks up and reproduces the audio.

So in short, it looks like my issue is with my default media player, not with MAKEMKV. Thank you for all of your help!