Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
mike admin

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by mike admin »

yusesope wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:33 pm
I believe that it is not possible to discard anything.
Regardless of the type of EL (fEL or mEL), in the case of a dvhe.04 or dvhe.07 profile, the Dolby Vision Composer accepts synchronized decoded BL and EL video frames and metadata information and uses metadata to reconstruct 12bit Dolby Vision video.
Ok, I'm reading the Dolby "profiles and levels" spec:

Code: Select all

2.1.1 Notes to profiles
For profile 4:
A new Dolby Vision certified device is able to decode a profile 4 MEL bitstream without instantiating a secondary HEVC decoder for the enhancement layer.

For profile 7:
The MEL can be used for profile 7 to minimize the processing requirements for the enhancement layer and therefore ensure broader use among UltraHD Blu-ray SoCs.

6.2 Annex II: Differentiating MEL and non-MEL bitstreams
Pictures contained in a Dolby Vision bitstream can be encoded as either MEL or non-MEL, not both.

If a Dolby Vision playback device supports Dolby Vision profile 4 and chooses not to instantiate a second HEVC decoder, then it must check for these values in the
reference processing unit of a Dolby Vision bitstream.

If a Dolby Vision playback device supports Dolby Vision profile 7, it can check for these values in the reference processing unit of a Dolby Vision bitstream.
So the rules are indeed different for profile 4 and profile 7.
Profile 4 - the doc explicitly states that the whole secondary decoder may be not instantiated at all (EL data discarded).
Profile 7 - the vague note that knowing about MEL can "minimize the processing requirements for the enhancement layer". I assume the same - no need to instantiate a second HEVC decoder, just generate same gray pictures as in profile 4.

And the fact that "dvdfab method" (BL+MEL RPU only, EL discarded) works, kind of proves that. Am I wrong?
yusesope wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:33 pm
vdr_bit_depth_minus8 is equal to 4 in both fEL and mEL stream (so vdr_bit_depth = 12)
Of course, EL is always 12 bit on blu-ray. The question is what exactly is in these 2 extra bits. My hypothesis - in MEL stream all pictures in EL are filled with the same value (zeroes). This is easy to verify though - one just has to decode entire EL from any MEL disc (Joker) and confirm that ALL frames in EL are indeed dark zero pictures. From the sizes of slice NALU it looks that way.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

thetoad wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:30 pm
the mkv files mike posted when played on my oppo to my sony x940e, they only comes up as hdr10, not dolby vision.
when I play the dolby vision ts files on LG's website (https://4kmedia.org/lg-amaze-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/) they come up as dolby vision
This could be an explicit container check. Can you please try converting MKV file to TS and see if it changes anything at all.

ffmpeg -i Joker_BL_EL_RPU.mkv -c copy Joker_BL_EL_RPU.ts
Arbigator

Post by Arbigator »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:26 pm
thetoad wrote:
the mkv files mike posted when played on my oppo to my sony x940e, they only comes up as hdr10, not dolby vision.
when I play the dolby vision ts files on LG's website (https://4kmedia.org/lg-amaze-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/) they come up as dolby vision
This could be an explicit container check. Can you please try converting MKV file to TS and see if it changes anything at all.

I converted the mkv files you posted to ts with tsMuxer, and they both playback correctly triggering Dolby Vision on the 2019 Shield.
ragico

Post by ragico »

mike admin wrote:
thetoad wrote:

I too converted your files with tsmuxer. In firestick 4k both files trigger Dolby Vision via Plex app (beta)
In emby app they trigger hdr
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Arbigator wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:41 pm
I converted the mkv files you posted to ts with tsMuxer, and they both playback correctly triggering Dolby Vision on the 2019 Shield.
So this IS just a container check, and hardware can use this encoding method. We're good!

ragico wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:50 pm
I too converted your files with tsmuxer. In firestick 4k both files trigger Dolby Vision via Plex app (beta). In emby app they trigger hdr
Guys, please make sure to use the very latest tsmuxer from doom9 (the one that supports EL NALUs) or any version of ffmpeg with "-c copy", in order to preserve all data during container conversion.

Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:11 pm
Arbigator wrote:
So this IS just a container check, and hardware can use this encoding method. We're good!

ragico wrote:
I too converted your files with tsmuxer. In firestick 4k both files trigger Dolby Vision via Plex app (beta). In emby app they trigger hdr
Guys, please make sure to use the very latest tsmuxer from doom9 (the one that supports EL NALUs) or any version of ffmpeg with "-c copy", in order to preserve all data during container conversion.

So what does all this mean exactly :lol:

Are we going to be able to make DV files in Makemkv and convert them to .TS?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Angryunibrow wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:19 pm
Yes, in the next version.

But, hopefully, even with current MKV samples we will be able to bug and poke firmware and playback software authors, so they add support for MKV container when they check for the possible DV data. Plex looks like a first candidate to me...
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:30 pm
Angryunibrow wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:19 pm

But, hopefully, even with current MKV samples we will be able to bug and poke firmware and playback software authors, so they add support for MKV container when they check for the possible DV data. Plex looks like a first candidate to me...
Keeping HD Audio (Atmos) in tact I presume?
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

mike admin wrote:
thetoad wrote:

tested, same thing. came up as hdr10 only. I know it can play a dolby vision.ts file as it play the one from LG's site

vlc shows the codec for the one from LG as

Codec: Dolby Vision HEVC (H.265) (dvhe)

while for my ffmpeg copied, it shows

Codec: MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) (hevc)
ragico

Post by ragico »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:11 pm
Arbigator wrote:

ragico wrote:

I made the Joker_BL_EL_RPU.mkv conversion again using 3 methods.
1-using ffmpeg = HDR
2-using tsmuxer latest official version w64-nightly-2020-03-10--01-12-52 = HDR
3-using tsmuxer posted by @Reset_999 https://drive.google.com/file/d/10zOr0I ... sp=sharing = Dolby Vision
Using firestick 4k and plex app (beta).
Emby app gives HDR always.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:47 pm
Here are several clips of 23 seconds each relating to the Joker movie (with the iconic scene that has been discussed HERE on the Plex forum).
You can also find the original HEVC raw streams *** and those obtained with my program (the BL_EL_RPU version HERE, and the second BL_RPU iteration HERE).

I also muxed the Bluray disc with DVDFab and after an analysis with a hexadecimal editor, the file obtained is identical to what can be obtained with my program - second iteration)

If you want to share files on other forums too, there is no problem for me.

So I just wanted to make a couple comparisons(on the Shield) with the Joker clip that was originally posted. For the HDR only clip, I took the original BL HEVC layer and put that only in its own TS container with TSMuxer. Then for the DV clip, I originally tried to combine the two original HEVC (BL+EL) files using v2 of yusecope's tool, but it kept hanging on me after dropping in the files, so I just used the one he had already created in the post above. The resulting TS file with the BL+EL+RPU raw HEVC file was flagged with the same dvhe.08.06 profile as I've seen with other remuxes. Both files played fine and DV was correctly triggered on playback with the DV file. Here are the results:

https://slow.pics/c/lEiqk70r

As you can see, there is definitely a noticeable difference between the two files (although not as much as the pictures may indicate due to my shoddy camera work). Specifically with the DV clip, it looks a bit brighter with the furnace on the right side more noticeable. I think this proofs that the EL layer might not be completely ignored in DV profile 8 videos? Unfortunately I don't have a UHD DV-capable player to test the actual movie and see what "real" DV should look like.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:30 pm

WOW! This is an exciting development. Assumably until that happens (MKV support) we could convert them to TS and we should be good to go? I've yet to get the sample to play in Plex on my 2019 Shield Pro but I'm sure it's something on my end. I tried both ffpmpeg copy and the nightly tsmuxer to convert your samples to ts and couldn't get them to trigger DV. But again, I'm sure it's on my end.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

ragico wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:06 am

I made the Joker_BL_EL_RPU.mkv conversion again using 3 methods.
1-using ffmpeg = HDR
2-using tsmuxer latest official version w64-nightly-2020-03-10--01-12-52 = HDR
3-using tsmuxer posted by @Reset_999 https://drive.google.com/file/d/10zOr0I ... sp=sharing = Dolby Vision
Using firestick 4k and plex app (beta).
Emby app gives HDR always.
I guess I should have kept reading. Ok, I don't have the TSMuxer version you're referencing in 3 (and the link you posted isn't complete). I guess I'll have to go back and find it. But yes, I got HDR for both ffmpeg and the nightly TSMuxer, as well. As you see in my last post, I thought it was something I was doing wrong but now it makes sense.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

I can't understand how is possible we don't have any windows player than can play DV

Only in Android
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

hepe9 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:31 am
I can't understand how is possible we don't have any windows player than can play DV

Only in Android
Easy to understand. Licensing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.