Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
tr000

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tr000 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:22 am
tr000 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am
Has anyone had success creating a DV MP4 from a remuxed .mkv? I demux the video streams and AC3 audio from the .mkv, put it through mp4muxer, and it runs fine. However, on my TV, it's just a black screen. The raw .m2ts, however, will work fine. Any ideas?
I make DV MP4 from remuxed .mkv all the time and it works fine on my c9. I no longer use the .m2ts structure because for some films the main video is split into multiple files.
Could you walk me through your process? Perhaps I'm coming at it wrong.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

tr000 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:59 am
Has anyone had success creating a DV MP4 from a remuxed .mkv? I demux the video streams and AC3 audio from the .mkv, put it through mp4muxer, and it runs fine. However, on my TV, it's just a black screen. The raw .m2ts, however, will work fine. Any ideas?
I finally realized that with my TV (Vizio PX 75) the only time mkv to mp4 doesn't work is when I try certain FEL dv track movies. I've used my tool (dv-mp4-maker) on countless movies and it seems the really high bitrate FEL ones (>5mbps) just skip dv altogether yet still play fine as hdr10. I haven't had an issue with MEL at all. Not sure if this is your situation, but it's worth a check.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

tr000 wrote:
deadchip12 wrote:
tr000 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am
I make DV MP4 from remuxed .mkv all the time and it works fine on my c9. I no longer use the .m2ts structure because for some films the main video is split into multiple files.
I just followed the exact steps stated in the original post, except instead of .m2ts file I use .mkv remux. Oh and 1 more thing: I don't include the ac3 audio in the demuxing, just the 2 video layers, but I'm not sure if that matters.
tr000

Post by tr000 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm
tr000 wrote:
deadchip12 wrote:

I just followed the exact steps stated in the original post, except instead of .m2ts file I use .mkv remux. Oh and 1 more thing: I don't include the ac3 audio in the demuxing, just the 2 video layers, but I'm not sure if that matters.
must be down to my TV then. I have a TCL.
tr000

Post by tr000 »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:24 pm
tr000 wrote:
I finally realized that with my TV (Vizio PX 75) the only time mkv to mp4 doesn't work is when I try certain FEL dv track movies. I've used my tool (dv-mp4-maker) on countless movies and it seems the really high bitrate FEL ones (>5mbps) just skip dv altogether yet still play fine as hdr10. I haven't had an issue with MEL at all. Not sure if this is your situation, but it's worth a check.
Hey Grencola, I use your tool very frequently as well, thanks for all your work on it.

However, there have been times where the tool has produced errors where manual demuxing with TSMuxer and putting it through MP4muxer has worked. For example, with 1917, the tool kept putting out only a 30 minute file for whatever reason. But the file I manually made worked.

I don't think we are having the same issues. For one, I use Profile 5 because my TV doesn't support other profiles afaik. Second, I have tried turning the .mkv and raw BluRay of the same movie, Transformers for example, and only the mp4 made from the Blu-ray m2ts worked on my TV, the one from the mkv remux didn't play. No idea what the issue could be, but my TV just won't play mp4s made from a remux.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

When you guys are talking about ripping the EL track out of mkv remuxes, I'm guessing you guys used something other than makemkv (e.g. mkvtoolnix?) to make the initial mkv? It's just that I've never seen the EL track being listed when opening a DV disk in makemkv, and all of the mkvs I've made with mkv only has one video track (unless I'm doing something wrong).
4knewbie

Post by 4knewbie »

Hello everyone, my first ever 4k TV (LG C9) is coming this week and I wanted to prepare some DV movies to be ready when it arrives.
However I just can't seem to get mp4base working. I'm using Windows 10 x64 on both my pcs and I've been trying many things for the past 2 days but nothing has worked, I've tried to build the solution for windows x86 and amd64 on VS 10 SP1 and every other version of VS that has come out since then on both of my pcs and I always get the exact same error "Invalid solution configuration"
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing to do before being able to run the soft is to build it by going to its directory and writing the devenv line, right ?

Thank you very kindly for your help
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:10 pm
When you guys are talking about ripping the EL track out of mkv remuxes, I'm guessing you guys used something other than makemkv (e.g. mkvtoolnix?) to make the initial mkv? It's just that I've never seen the EL track being listed when opening a DV disk in makemkv, and all of the mkvs I've made with mkv only has one video track (unless I'm doing something wrong).
You are only getting HDR10/HDR10+ out of DV UHD disc if you open them with MakeMKV.

DV UHD disc has two video tracks, standard 4K HEVC with HDR10/HDR10+ and a 1080p HEVC called EL (enhancement layer).

Because .mkv has no defined way of storing DV MakeMKV will not touch the EL. So every .mkv generated from DV disc with MakeMKV will be HDR10/HDR10+ only. Everything you see here is people making a completed disc backup then mux it into .mp4, .ts, or .m2ts under different DV profiles.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

trumpet205 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:25 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:10 pm
You are only getting HDR10/HDR10+ out of DV UHD disc if you open them with MakeMKV.

DV UHD disc has two video tracks, standard 4K HEVC with HDR10/HDR10+ and a 1080p HEVC called EL (enhancement layer).

Because .mkv has no defined way of storing DV MakeMKV will not touch the EL. So every .mkv generated from DV disc with MakeMKV will be HDR10/HDR10+ only. Everything you see here is people making a completed disc backup then mux it into .mp4, .ts, or .m2ts under different DV profiles.
Right, I get all that and all the ways to get DV working in an mp4 or ts container. I was just curious how people were starting with a remuxed mkv that still had both BL and EL tracks since I had assumed most people were using MakeMKV to create their mkv remuxes. I'm guessing the full folder decrypted backup is made in MakeMKV first and then the mkv remux is made with mkvtoolnix where you can preserve both video tracks?
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm
tr000 wrote:
deadchip12 wrote:

how did you do that with a mkv file without stutters? i have a C9 to, but i'm doing something wrong i think. can you tell me the steps? with m2ts i don't have any issues with the tool of grencola.

PS: nobody using dvdfab anymore?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

tr000 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:07 pm
Hey Grencola, I use your tool very frequently as well, thanks for all your work on it.
cheers, you're welcome!
tr000 wrote:
However, there have been times where the tool has produced errors where manual demuxing with TSMuxer and putting it through MP4muxer has worked. For example, with 1917, the tool kept putting out only a 30 minute file for whatever reason. But the file I manually made worked.
eac3to has troubles with hdr10+ and dv mix, which 1917 has. tsmuxer works fine with hdr10+, but I noticed it would hang more on framerate issues where eac3to would correct it and complete the process properly. kind of a mixed bag, really..
tr000 wrote:
I don't think we are having the same issues. For one, I use Profile 5 because my TV doesn't support other profiles afaik. Second, I have tried turning the .mkv and raw BluRay of the same movie, Transformers for example, and only the mp4 made from the Blu-ray m2ts worked on my TV, the one from the mkv remux didn't play. No idea what the issue could be, but my TV just won't play mp4s made from a remux.
Was it Transformers: The Last Knight by chance? because that has an FEL dv layer. here's a quick incomplete list of what each movie has: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
daddy

Post by daddy »

4knewbie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:33 pm
Hello everyone, my first ever 4k TV (LG C9) is coming this week and I wanted to prepare some DV movies to be ready when it arrives.
However I just can't seem to get mp4base working. I'm using Windows 10 x64 on both my pcs and I've been trying many things for the past 2 days but nothing has worked, I've tried to build the solution for windows x86 and amd64 on VS 10 SP1 and every other version of VS that has come out since then on both of my pcs and I always get the exact same error "Invalid solution configuration"
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing to do before being able to run the soft is to build it by going to its directory and writing the devenv line, right ?

Thank you very kindly for your help
On windows you just need the mp4muxer.exe file
https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dl ... master/bin

There is a new version 1.0.1 date from 6 march

Code: Select all

Usage: mp4muxer arg [options]

Args:       [Options]              Descriptions:
 -----       --------------------   -------------------------------------------------------
 --help,-h                          = Shows the help information.
 --version,-v                       = Shows the version information.
 --input-file,-i <file.ext> [--media-lang <language>]
                            [--media-timescale <timescale>]
                            [--input-video-frame-rate <framerate>]
                                    = Adds elementary stream (ES) file.ext with
                                      media language, timescale, and framerate(only for video,such as 23.97 or 30000/1001).
                                      Supports H264, H265, AC3, EC3, and AC4.
 --output-file, -o <file.mp4>       = Sets the output file name.
 --overwrite                        = Overwrites the existing output .mp4 file if there is one.
 --mpeg4-timescale <arg>            = Overrides the timescale of the entire presentation.
 --mpeg4-brand <arg>                = Specifies the ISO base media file format brand in the format.
 --mpeg4-comp-brand <arg>           = Specifies the ISO base media file format compatible brand(s),
                                      in the format of a comma separated list, for example mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1.
 --output-format <arg>              = Sets the output file format or the specification to which the
                                      output file must conform. Valid values include 'mp4' and 'frag-mp4'.
                                      'mp4' is the default value.
 --mpeg4-max-frag-duration <arg>    = Sets the maximum fragment duration in milliseconds.
                                      By default, the max duration is 2s.
 --dv-profile <arg>                 = Sets the Dolby Vision profile. This option is MANDATORY for
                                      DoVi elementary stream: Valid profile values are:
                                      4 - dvhe.04, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: HEVC10; BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
                                      5 - dvhe.05, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: None.
                                      7 - dvhe.07, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: HEVC10; BL compatibility: Blue-ray HDR10.
                                      8 - dvhe.08, BL codec: HEVC10; EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
                                      9 - dvav.09, BL codec: AVC;    EL codec: N/A;    BL compatibility: SDR/HDR.
 --dv-bl-compatible-id <arg>        = Sets the Dolby Vision base layer compatible ID, if the profile index is 8, this option must be set by user.

mp4muxer usage examples:
---------------------------------------------------
To create an audio-only .mp4 file with EC-3 audio:
   mp4muxer -o output.mp4 -i audio.ec3 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1

To multiplex AC-4 audio and H.264 video:
   mp4muxer -o output.mp4 -i audio.ac4 -i video.h264 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1

To multiplex Dolby vision BL+EL+RPU into a .mp4 file :
   mp4muxer -i ves_bl_el_rpu.264 -o single_track_output.mp4 --dv-profile 0 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1 --overwrite

To multiplex Dolby vision BL+EL+RPU file into a .mp4 file with EC-3 audio track:
   mp4muxer -i ves_bl_el_rpu.265 -i audio.ec3 -o output.mp4 --dv-profile 8
            --dv-bl-compatible-id 2 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1 --overwrite
   Note: For the Dolby vision profile 8, dv-bl-compatible-id is necessary.

This seems to be a new option: --dv-bl-compatible-id <arg>
tr000

Post by tr000 »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:51 pm
tr000 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:07 pm
cheers, you're welcome!
tr000 wrote:
eac3to has troubles with hdr10+ and dv mix, which 1917 has. tsmuxer works fine with hdr10+, but I noticed it would hang more on framerate issues where eac3to would correct it and complete the process properly. kind of a mixed bag, really..
tr000 wrote:
Was it Transformers: The Last Knight by chance? because that has an FEL dv layer. here's a quick incomplete list of what each movie has: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
I'll look into modifying your tool, perhaps to use TSMuxer. So far I've just changed it from profile 7 to profile 5, but I have a couple improvements I could make. Will post it when I get around to it.

It was the 2007 film, but it was just an example. That's been true of every .mkv movie I've tried, either just black or stutters on my TV.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

tr000 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:04 am
I'll look into modifying your tool, perhaps to use TSMuxer. So far I've just changed it from profile 7 to profile 5, but I have a couple improvements I could make. Will post it when I get around to it.
sure, change it however you wish :) let me know if you need to make an srt subtitle along side the mp4, or want to choose the audio track, as I've already made those versions.
tr000

Post by tr000 »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:19 am
tr000 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:04 am
sure, change it however you wish :) let me know if you need to make an srt subtitle along side the mp4, or want to choose the audio track, as I've already made those versions.
Ooo, that sounds interesting. Could you share the latest version?