Star Wars 4Ks

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
CudaCores

Re: Star Wars 4Ks

Post by CudaCores »

Still showing this "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc" For The Last Jedi :cry:
RockEdge

Post by RockEdge »

Thanks to those that have already gotten encryption going. I was having an issue with Empire, noticed a very small chip on edge of disc. After multiple cleans and attempts came here, found I was on the last version of the app (new one came out in March) installed that and it captured Empire Strikes Back successfully first try!

The release notes seemed to have helped at least me!
-Improved handling for discs with mastering errors
-Better tolerance for corrupted input data
-Many internal improvements

Still waiting on AotC.

Edge
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

Good to know it worked for you.

I finally managed to get 7 out of 9 discs successfully ripped. I had to folder rip every single one (except for Return of the Jedi, which worked completely normally straight out of the case) and then extract the main title to mkv from there. I also gave them all a nice hard bath in 99% isopropyl. The only 2 I didn't rip were Last Jedi (which I already have in 4k, so why bother?) and TROS, which must be a completely bad disk. I cleaned it 2-3 times (no marks, scratches, chips, or anything else on it), tried every method I could on both of my ripping setups and even tried an older version of MakeMKV. Even tried manually copying the Stream folder to the Hard disk. It flat errors out, regardless, at around the 15-20% mark of transferring the main movie file.

My new set just arrived and this version of ROTS is working perfectly. ripping to mkv straight from the disc. SMFH... That means at least 7 of the discs in my last set were faulty. Bravo on the Quality control. :roll: Out of 180+ UHD discs ripped, I think I've only had real issues with 3-4 discs and I've only ever had to exchange 1 prior to this. 7 in one set... ugh...

At least best buy shipped me the replacement in a nice sealed box with quality padding this time. (the way they should've the first time, instead of putting in a crappy padded media mailer envelope.) lol
RockEdge

Post by RockEdge »

AotC is decrypted now! Had to have been updated in the last 4 hours or so :) Thanks again!
aibeira

Post by aibeira »

I was able to open the backup of Attack of the Clones, so the key is there now. At least for my disc...

Thanks, Mike (or whoever worked on it)!
aibeira

Post by aibeira »

Metallikahn wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:15 pm
Good to know it worked for you.

I finally managed to get 7 out of 9 discs successfully ripped. I had to folder rip every single one (except for Return of the Jedi, which worked completely normally straight out of the case) and then extract the main title to mkv from there. I also gave them all a nice hard bath in 99% isopropyl. The only 2 I didn't rip were Last Jedi (which I already have in 4k, so why bother?) and TROS, which must be a completely bad disk. I cleaned it 2-3 times (no marks, scratches, chips, or anything else on it), tried every method I could on both of my ripping setups and even tried an older version of MakeMKV. Even tried manually copying the Stream folder to the Hard disk. It flat errors out, regardless, at around the 15-20% mark of transferring the main movie file.

My new set just arrived and this version of ROTS is working perfectly. ripping to mkv straight from the disc. SMFH... That means at least 7 of the discs in my last set were faulty. Bravo on the Quality control. :roll: Out of 180+ UHD discs ripped, I think I've only had real issues with 3-4 discs and I've only ever had to exchange 1 prior to this. 7 in one set... ugh...

At least best buy shipped me the replacement in a nice sealed box with quality padding this time. (the way they should've the first time, instead of putting in a crappy padded media mailer envelope.) lol
It's weird - my copy came in a box, with the air bubble packing materials. All 18 discs read (uhd and br). I cleaned them all with a microfiber cloth, but they all worked.
mikel5

Post by mikel5 »

I was able to backup Attack of the Clones and The Last Jedi today, thank you!
dancjodanc

Post by dancjodanc »

I have the Skywalker set from BestBuy. I've ripped Attach of the Clones twice...and each rip has a 'glitch' at around 5:30 into the film. The scene in Palpatine's office. Dialogue is off, and jerky. So then I ripped one from online...the same thing, at the same time. Could this be an issue with the disc itself? I've cleaned it....but with the rip from online being the same issue...wondering if anyone else has seen this problem?
Commander Shepard

Post by Commander Shepard »

dancjodanc wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:24 pm
I have the Skywalker set from BestBuy. I've ripped Attach of the Clones twice...and each rip has a 'glitch' at around 5:30 into the film. The scene in Palpatine's office. Dialogue is off, and jerky. So then I ripped one from online...the same thing, at the same time. Could this be an issue with the disc itself? I've cleaned it....but with the rip from online being the same issue...wondering if anyone else has seen this problem?
I just successfully ripped mine, and am seeing no such issue.
mikel5

Post by mikel5 »

dancjodanc wrote:
I just checked my rip and I do not have this issue.
awdspyder

Post by awdspyder »

Metallikahn wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:15 pm
^^^This. I'm convinced that Disney QC is utter garbage. I have well over 100 UHDs and I have had exactly four total failures. Three are from this set (Ep. I, III, & VIII in my case), though I have the stand-alone discs and not the BB collector's set. Straight out of the case, Episode I has clearly visible, hairline, 0.25-in arc-shaped scratches at various radii that can be felt with the fingernail. TLJ has a single, similar scratch, as does ROTS. These scratches are difficult to detect - bathroom or natural lighting works best. Each fails predictably on the same m2ts file every time. All three of these failures occur suddenly - MakeMKV goes from 25-30 MB/s to zero nearly instantly. Clearly, I'll be exchanging these.

Unfortunately, Episode VIII was purchased some time ago and I just never got around to ripping it, so I'm SoL there... lesson learned. Additionally, Episode II's BD disc vibrated like my wife's... well, you know, but it ripped just fine in the end.

The only other failure I've had is another recent title from, you guessed it, Disney (Toy Story 4). Then again, look at what they've done with Atmos tracks, FFS. They clearly have no s***s to give.

And just to be clear, my process on UHD rips looks like this:

1. Remove shrink wrap, open disc
2. Check for blemishes in good light
3. Wipe disc with a clean microfiber cloth from center to edge
4. Rip to MKV

This has been good enough for about 90% of the discs I own. If I encounter egregiously low rip speeds or errors (rare) after #4, I proceed as follows:

5. Clean with a drop of Dawn and filtered/distilled water.
6. Rip to MKV

This has been good enough for ~98% of the discs I own. If #6 fails:

7. Clean with an alcohol-based lens cleaner
8. Attempt a rip and/or decrypted backup

Though, frankly, I've never had anything past #6 actually provide benefit. It's a shame they don't take a little more pride in the products they produce, especially considering the enthusiasts like us are propping this fading industry up. Then again, one can't help but get the sense they ultimately want it to fail...
rdgrimes

Post by rdgrimes »

dancjodanc wrote:
Does this correspond to around the time that alien subtitles are entering or leaving the video? This is a video/audio glitch that is caused by Disney's complex branching authoring that displays those subtitles in alternate languages. When ripped to MKV you get glitches baked into the resulting file. None of the available MKV ripping tools have yet been able to eliminate this on UHD discs. If you rip to full disc and play that you will avoid that problem.

Some players will fix these glitches on the fly, others will not. Sometimes the glitches are non-repeatable. It only happens with DTHD audio, not with DTS-MA.
dancjodanc

Post by dancjodanc »

Yes, this happens the minute the alien subtitles starts around 5:20 or so. It then will glitch until I stop it and start it, or jump to the next chapter..the rest of the film plays with no problem..including the other alien subtitles...only that scene. So I should rip the entire disc and no remove any of the other audio or subtitles...this could help?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

dancjodanc wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:53 pm
Yes, this happens the minute the alien subtitles starts around 5:20 or so. It then will glitch until I stop it and start it, or jump to the next chapter..the rest of the film plays with no problem..including the other alien subtitles...only that scene. So I should rip the entire disc and no remove any of the other audio or subtitles...this could help?
I don't have these disks personally, but this sounds like the issue discussed extensively here in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17597. It's apparently common with Disney disks and one way around it is to create a decrypted full folder backup with makemkv, and then generate the mkv rip with another program such as ClondBD.
rdgrimes

Post by rdgrimes »

dancjodanc wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:53 pm
The glitches are very much player specific. But if you find a way to avoid them do please report back. Playing a full disc rip (BDMV) does avoid the issue if you can do that. I've tried every known MKV ripper/creator and they all fail to remove those glitches. OTOH, playing the same files with a Zapitti box results in no glitches at all.