Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
harsh

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Guide Updated 2020

Post by harsh »

I was thinking of buying Pioneer blu-ray writers.
Are they not good?
Also, (I am new here) do I need Cyberlink PowerDVD or some such 4K UHD Bluray software to just play the movie at its full resolution, after flashing the drive?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Pioneer drives cannot currently be used for ripping UHD disks. Timetable for when (if) it is possible is uncertain.

So, if you're planning on ripping UHD disks, they are "not good". Playing UHD disks with approved software is possible.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bgrngod

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Guide Updated 2019

Post by bgrngod »

braigo64 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:27 pm
I plan on following your instructions. I looked up the drive on Amazon and saw that it says it's only compatible with Windows 8.1 and 10. I have a Win7 box I've been using exclusively for my rips. Do you know if this slim drive will work on Win7 or will I have to update to Win10?
I have no idea :) I moved on from Win7 long ago and don't have an install available to test it with. I'd assume it might be just fine since it's a USB drive but can't confirm one way or the other.
Billycar11

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Guide Updated 2019

Post by Billycar11 »

braigo64 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:27 pm

I plan on following your instructions. I looked up the drive on Amazon and saw that it says it's only compatible with Windows 8.1 and 10. I have a Win7 box I've been using exclusively for my rips. Do you know if this slim drive will work on Win7 or will I have to update to Win10?
it will work with 7
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

I just ordered the LG WH16NS60 and brushed aluminum case as mentioned in first post since that one was readily available. Now I need to order a flash cable like the Unitek Y-1099 and I will be all set right? This got expensive quickly. I thought I might be out $100 to $130 and now it is around $200 lol.

Also, I'm not sure if it has been answered but doing this flash won't hinder the drive for ripping DVDs and regular Blurays right? I mainly plan on ripping those and not 4Ks as much since my physical Copies of those aren't in storage.

Finally, is this makemkv the best software to maintain the orginal quality of 4K UHD discs and Bluray discs or will I lose some quality compared to the discs? Thanks for any help!
Last edited by StormMeows on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

You don’t need a special cable use the usb cable included with the enclosure.
Yes you will be able to rip all three disc types, and audio CDs, maybe an hd dvd no sacd or vinyl 45 speed (future enhancement).
And yes makemkv is the best; Mike doesn’t mess around. this is bit perfect disc backup!
You have a serious rig coming, enjoy!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

jonghotti wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:21 am
Yes you will be able to rip all three disc types, and audio CDs, maybe an hd dvd no sacd or vinyl 45 speed (future enhancement).
And yes makemkv is the best; Mike doesn’t mess around. this is bit perfect disc backup!
Thanks for clarifying that I don't need that special cable/adapter from the first post since I already ordered the OWC Mercury Pro Enclosure. I was kind of confused why I would need another cable to flash firmware on the drive, lol. I am guessing the first post just has the cable options for those people who get an internal drive and do not want to run an enclosure. I was surprised how expensive the enclosures are ($50 to $55!).

I'm really excited to setup my NAS and rip my collection so i can watch it digitally on Plex!

Thanks again for clarifying that i am ready to start ripping when the drive and enclosure come! After I flash it of course.
evilmatcher

Post by evilmatcher »

Hi all

Total amateur here, so I just need some help to get it right the first time.....

I just bought a LG BU40N with the 1.03 firmware and a Vantec NST-510S3-BK slim case and now wants to fix the firmware.

I can see from the first page in this thread, that it is a bit more complicated with this firmware.

1. I am bit unsure which kind of BU40N-drive I have. I would assume that my drive is a "N" drive, but frankly I can't tell myself. Someone could tell it from the data below in another thread. Please help.

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.03
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2119-05-08 11:46
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 65

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959

SDF id v06d: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.03_211905081146_

2. If it is a BU40N-N - I assume that I need to pick the "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin"-file from the folder
mk-firmware-pack-20200415.zip\mk-firmware-pack-20200415\MK\HL-DT-ST\BU40N-N\

3. What to do from here? Should the firmware be changed one more time? It sounds like that based on the guidance on the first page, but which file should I choose then?

I have never tried this before, so I just want to be 100% sure in order not to brick the drive.

Thanks in advance for your help
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

"HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin"

Go for it! That's the file just do it once. You'll be fine!
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

I just got my LG UHD certified drive! NS60 model. Can anyone tell me what other drive would be good to pair with this one that might read some discs better? I have a few year old external pioneer drive but even though it says that it reads at 6x speeds, I did a blu-ray today with MakeMKV and it was stuck at 2.0x or below. Any reason why it won't go to the advertised 6x speed?

I want to find another good drive to pair with this LG one so that I don't put as much wear on the LG drive as well. I know there are some stubborn discs out there and I'm sure I have some so I'm just trying to prepare for the worst, lol!

Thanks for any advice.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

BW-16D1HT the high speed (8X ripping ) offering from ASUS. It is not a UHD "official" drive but you can flash the ASUS with the LG firmware if burning discs is not a high priority and ridding yoourself of the "sleep bug" IS. I sell pre-flashed drives, full sized, slim, internal, external. Currrenty have 5 different LG models, the ASUS full sized, 2 slim drive enclosures, 2 full sized enclosures and far too much inventory management issues going on so whent this all sells out it's time to go simple: one full sized, one slim, one enclosure for each, and an automated e commerce solution for easy ordering. Hey I can dream right? :)
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Re: enclosure, worth every penny! The OWC feels so solid I'm better you could stand on it with one foot, which the drive is ripping, and not loose a frame! You can crack the $60 per enclosure price by needing 10 enclosures during shelter in place, shipping is already slower by 2-3 days, now spring for UPS 2nd day air for the box. Divide total cost by 10 and there you go :-)

The Vantec enclosure is no slouch either. Those used to have a problem with exploding power supplies, ok not a supply that's in the wall wort power cable. The on/off circuit on the PCB inside the enclosure. Symptom , flick on he the enclosure, you're expecting the blu light and instead a puff of smoke, a foul odor, and a dead box D'OH!

Hasn't been an issue for over 18 months so either enclosure is a solid buy. Have fun!
StormMeows wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:38 am
jonghotti wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:21 am
Thanks for clarifying that I don't need that special cable/adapter from the first post since I already ordered the OWC Mercury Pro Enclosure. I was kind of confused why I would need another cable to flash firmware on the drive, lol. I am guessing the first post just has the cable options for those people who get an internal drive and do not want to run an enclosure. I was surprised how expensive the enclosures are ($50 to $55!).

I'm really excited to setup my NAS and rip my collection so i can watch it digitally on Plex!

Thanks again for clarifying that i am ready to start ripping when the drive and enclosure come! After I flash it of course.
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

Thanks so much, I ordered the Asus so I'll have another drive to alternate between and hopefully play stubborn discs if I need it. :)
jayper

Post by jayper »

I had been using the same drive for about a year and wanted to add another option, so I just picked up an LG BU40N with a Vantec NST-510S3-BK enclosure.

Just wanted to say thank you for the guide, video and instructions in this thread. Dead simple procedure.
trevork99

Post by trevork99 »

Hi everyone, I'm new to ripping UHD discs and wanted to ask some questions before I flash anything.

I currently have an Asus BC-12B1ST, firmware version 3.01, MT1959, MFG. in 2018. I've read on this forum that somebody was successfully ripping UHD discs using this drive, so in order to flash mine, would the best firmware to flash be the ASUS_BW-16D1HT_302 firmware?

Also, since my firmware is 3.01 and I'm essentially upgrading the drive, do I still have to run the ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe downgrader tool, or is that only for ASUS drives on 3.03?

EDIT: I figured it out myself. Using the flashing tool, I was able to flash the MK-Patched 3.01 firmware to enable LibreDrive support, and now my drive can rip UHD discs!
Last edited by trevork99 on Thu May 07, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.