GLIBC_2.28 not found on Ubuntu

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
justinafincher

GLIBC_2.28 not found on Ubuntu

Post by justinafincher »

I had to do a fresh install of my Ubuntu box (18.04.02 LTS), and after installing MakeMKV, I'm getting the following error.

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/makemkvcon: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/lib/libmakemkv.so.1)
If I run ldd --version, it says I have 2.27, which kinda points to the issue, but there don't appear to be any updates in normal channels to bring me to 2.28. Any help/workarounds would be greatly appreciated.
mike admin

Re: GLIBC_2.28 not found on Ubuntu

Post by mike admin »

Are you compiling from source? MakeMKV can work with ancient glibc and requires glibc 2.2 (2.2 for 386 and 2.2.5 for x64).
justinafincher

Post by justinafincher »

I am compiling from the 1.14.3 source. I'm sure it may be able to work, I'm just not sure how to convince it to look in the right place so that it WILL work :-)
Zirias

Post by Zirias »

libmakemkv.so.1 is a library built from the "makemkv-oss" source package. So the situation you're seeing here is impossible if you built and installed makemkv-oss on the same machine you're trying to run makemkv (without having some newer GLIBC in some non-standard path and setting strange build flags to link against this one).

So, start over, rebuild and reinstall makemkv-oss without any custom flags and you should be fine.
justinafincher

Post by justinafincher »

Ah ha! Thanks! So I rebuilt, same result.

However, your comment that what I'm seeing should be impossible clued me in. I had reinstalled Ubuntu, but the folder where I had extracted the source for makemkv was still intact. So when I was running make, it wasn't actually re-making the file as it saw the files it was generating were already there. After wiping and resetting, I rebuilt and everything works.

Thanks!
Zirias

Post by Zirias »

Just a hint, almost every Makefile includes a "clean" target, so all you have to do is start with "make clean" before you rebuild.
point

Post by point »

Hi!

I installed and updated many times MakeMKV as binary from hjmooses' PPA on Linux Mint 19.3. In the last days, after upgrading to version 1.15.1-1~bionic, I faced the same "failed to initialize" problem while it used to work well with the previous version 1.15.0-1~bionic and earlier.
$ ldd -v /usr/bin/makemkvcon

/usr/bin/makemkvcon: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/bin/makemkvcon)
$ /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6

GNU C Library (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.27-3ubuntu1) stable release version 2.27.
I had no luck at trying to downgrade to 1.15.0-1~bionic with apt.
# apt install makemkv-bin=1.15.0-1~bionic makemkv-oss=1.15.0-1~bionic

E: Version '1.15.0-1~bionic' for 'makemkv-bin' was not found
E: Version '1.15.0-1~bionic' for 'makemkv-oss' was not found
It looks like the PPA hosts only the last very version of MakeMKV.

When trying to build and install from sources with apt, shall I pass a specific option to make MakeMKV work with my existing glibc 2.27?

I am not used to building from source. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

$ ldd -v /usr/bin/makemkvcon
/usr/bin/makemkvcon: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/bin/makemkvcon)
This is a bug :( Only present in x86 version, so it slipped by....
point

Post by point »

In the case previously described by justinafincher, one may have understood that compiling from source would be enough for the binary to dynamically link to the existing 2.27 GLIBC.

Am I right ? Shouldn't it be enough for me to apt build the package from source on the same machine which it will be running on, to have here a successful workaround? Is it candid to think so?
point

Post by point »

I gave a try to
apt source makemkv-bin makemkv-oss
then
dpkg-buildpackage

I got blocked in a license acceptance loop, which exits with an error, whatever the "yes" or "no" answer has been replied. The ask_eula.sh script does not show any trick: I should just type "yes", that's all what is required. What goes wrong here?