Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
steffenmanden

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden »

Schh lets move on :-)

Yay the standard is falling into place! Soon our favorit players might play Dolby Vision!
baker99

Post by baker99 »

Exciting times :) I'm as desperate as everyone for a binary but willing to wait while these excellent developers sort everything out. It's been sad seeing such a collaborative and friendly thread become distracted by other things, keep up the great work and we are here when you need testers.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

tr000 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:01 am
Ah, I see. Does that output Profile 7?
yes dual layer profile 7 DV
Redhawk2000

Post by Redhawk2000 »

So are we saying there is now reasonable hope (expectation) that an htpc could be used within a few months?
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

Redhawk2000 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:56 am
So are we saying there is now reasonable hope (expectation) that an htpc could be used within a few months?
Currently it's for Android players there is being played with code, but the code can be moved elsewhere afterwards if people integrate it! Its all about pushing your favorite players as soon as the standard is in place!
Last edited by steffenmanden on Mon May 25, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

baker99 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 am
Exciting times :) I'm as desperate as everyone for a binary but willing to wait while these excellent developers sort everything out. It's been sad seeing such a collaborative and friendly thread become distracted by other things, keep up the great work and we are here when you need testers.
I think it just got misunderstood :)

One week and its going!
siriusbox

Post by siriusbox »

Redhawk2000 wrote:
Only if the device is licensed by Dolby, and the hardware also supports it.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The htpc side requires a few things. A splitter, a renderer, and a decoder that all support Dolby vision. With a standard out of the way the splitter could be done. The renderer is a bit more challenging. Usually we'd ask madshi to add support to madvr but he's just working on the envy release. Still, there are other renderers out there and maybe one of them could add support. That leaves the decoder. Here's where things get a little interesting. Gaming in the pc has apparently been looking at Dolby vision support. Nvidia has had beta support for some time now and if you look at the very latest Intel driver support you will see Dolby vision is part of that release. I've no idea what's involved in making that work or if it's even possible, but these things are out there now.

All this is to say that Dolby vision on an htpc is not currently doable but isn't out of the realm of possible.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

tr000

Post by tr000 »

Redhawk2000 wrote:
HTPC’s have always been listed in Dolby's DV docs. I wonder what, if any, official implementation plans they have/had.
tr000

Post by tr000 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:49 pm
The htpc side requires a few things. A splitter, a renderer, and a decoder that all support Dolby vision. With a standard out of the way the splitter could be done. The renderer is a bit more challenging. Usually we'd ask madshi to add support to madvr but he's just working on the envy release. Still, there are other renderers out there and maybe one of them could add support. That leaves the decoder. Here's where things get a little interesting. Gaming in the pc has apparently been looking at Dolby vision support. Nvidia has had beta support for some time now and if you look at the very latest Intel driver support you will see Dolby vision is part of that release. I've no idea what's involved in making that work or if it's even possible, but these things are out there now.

All this is to say that Dolby vision on an htpc is not currently doable but isn't out of the realm of possible.

Theoretically it shouldn't be that hard. I wonder if anyone has found a way to at least trigger EDID to send a Dolby Vision signal to activate the logo on a TV from a PC. AFAIK no one has done this. If it can be done on what is essentially an Android phone with an HDMI output there is no reason it shouldn't be able to be done on PC.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

We have done so for calibration using an hdfury but that hardly counts. I'm wondering, however, if this change means they're trying to add Dolby vision support for things like Netflix streaming... if so that's interesting. Here's the relevant Intel driver release notes.

Highlights

Windows 10 May 2020 Update Ready

Intel Graphics Installer Changes5

This driver is WDDM 2.7 compliant and ready for the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. It introduces support for Dolby Vision and the new DirectX* 12 Shader Model 6.5 compiler on 7th Generation Intel Core processors or higher (Intel HD Graphics 610 or higher).

shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but there were some talks concerning the dolby vision app found in the microsoft store:

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issue ... -605658877
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

https://forums.plex.tv/t/dolby-vision-r ... /488390/13
This might give an insight into why refresh rate switching doesn’t work for DV on the shield.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:10 pm
This might give an insight into why refresh rate switching doesn’t work for DV on the shield.
It works in Plex, you just have to revert back to the old player, or use the new player + refresh rate app. Both players use exoplayer as the backend as far as I know so you're not losing much going between the two.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:10 pm
The issue I was having with yusecope's exoplayer wasn't limited to DV. Exoplayer wouldn't switch refresh rates at all, whether it was playing DV content or not.