MakeMKV makes bad MKV files?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Postyman

MakeMKV makes bad MKV files?

Post by Postyman »

I've used MakeMKV to convert some dvds to MKV files now. I tested the files with VLC Media Player first, but got vlc crashed pretty often when trying to forward using the timeline. Vlc is buggy I thought. Then I tried on mye WDTV Live box. The movie can't seem to change chapters without restarting the movie. And forget about forwarding the movie. WDTV Live is buggy, I thought. Then I tried XBMC and thought, finally, now everything will work swell. But, again, the MKV file is not handled very well. Then I started to think: Perhaps something is wrong with the MKV file? I ran it through mkvmerge GUI v.3.0.0, and testet once more. Finally, it works perfect!

Is this a known issue? I think I read something about MKV files not working so well in some forum, but can't remember where.

So I guess I have to run a ton of MKV files through mkvmerge then...
setarip_old

Re: MakeMKV makes bad MKV files?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

1) Under what environment are you using MakeMKV?

2) Are you using the GUI, or are you continuing to use the (somewhat limited, as I've read) CLI?

3) I'm just personally curious - Your frst post was in mid-January. How is it that you are just now becoming aware of a problem regarding playback of your MakeMKV rips?
Postyman

Post by Postyman »

Hi!

1) Windows 7.

2) I'm using the GUI (v1.4.12 beta).

3) Well, I know. I should probably tested more before I started my quest to convert my dvds. :oops: But I thought it was just the software playing MKV files that where buggy. And the files kind of works. I didn't test to much with fast forwarding and jumping to chapters before I needed to the other day when watching a movie.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I ran it through mkvmerge GUI v.3.0.0, and testet once more
Exactly what did you set mkvmerge (GUI) to do?

What is the name and region number of the problematic DVD?
Last edited by setarip_old on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
michelkenny

Post by michelkenny »

Postyman wrote:I've used MakeMKV to convert some dvds to MKV files now. I tested the files with VLC Media Player first, but got vlc crashed pretty often when trying to forward using the timeline. Vlc is buggy I thought. Then I tried on mye WDTV Live box. The movie can't seem to change chapters without restarting the movie. And forget about forwarding the movie. WDTV Live is buggy, I thought. Then I tried XBMC and thought, finally, now everything will work swell. But, again, the MKV file is not handled very well. Then I started to think: Perhaps something is wrong with the MKV file? I ran it through mkvmerge GUI v.3.0.0, and testet once more. Finally, it works perfect!

Is this a known issue? I think I read something about MKV files not working so well in some forum, but can't remember where.

So I guess I have to run a ton of MKV files through mkvmerge then...

I've also noticed that all of my MKVs made with MakeMKV crash VLC most of the time when I try to seek within the file. They play fine on my SageTV HD200 so far. I always assumed that it was my computer, but now that you mention it I've tried a bunch of other MKVs made from other sources and they work fine. Only the ones made with MakeMKV crash VLC.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Does it crash the latest "nightly" build of VLC?
Postyman

Post by Postyman »

When I used mkvmerge I just added the mkv file and had it create a new mkv file for me.

I have done some more testing, and it seems that when I used MakeMKV on Ubuntu, things work better. And, when I come to think about it, I think I created the problem mkvs with MakeMKV 1.4.11. I will do some more testing after work tonight.

I will also try the latest nightly build of vlc.

The dvds in question are region 2 dvds, by the way.
Postyman

Post by Postyman »

I tried to use MakeMKV 1.4.12 on the previous mentioned dvd, and now the mkv plays fine. So probably all I needed to do was upgrade to the latest version... :) Anyone else got similar experiences?
michelkenny

Post by michelkenny »

mike admin wrote:Does it crash the latest "nightly" build of VLC?
I tried the latest 1.1.0 nightly build and it seems to work fine... 1.0.5 stable crashes most of the time when I seek. All of my MKVs were generated with v .12
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

I solved the problems with the WDTV weeks ago, put apparently bugfixing ain't a top-priority for this project....

Read me
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@elbart

Your fix indicates an incompatibility between your "WDTV" and MakeMKV - but I don't think it does anything to show that the fault lies with MakeMKV.

I say this because I've read several post here and at other sites/forums that appear to indicate that several of these newer intermediate players are "suffering growing pains" regarding how they handle various formats - and each of them seems to have different problems.

In light of the fact that the .MKV packaging format existed before any of these players, I'd suggest that it is quite likely that you'll see firmware updates in the future that will significantly increase overall compatibility...
rainchild

Post by rainchild »

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I'm having trouble with this also.

I've tried two different machines, one 32 bit and one 64 bit, but both can create MKV's that have issues seeking (ff / rew / chapters) on the WDTV Live. I've also tried different versions (from the early 1.5's through to 1.6 - though I haven't tested the latest fixes in 1.6.2 yet).

Running the MKV's through mkvmerge (with no changes/additions/removals, just rewrite the file) fixes the seek issues, but I'd rather not have to do that for every disc I have trouble with (although given I'd already processed most of my collection before noticing this problem I think that I'm going to have to)!

I wish I could narrow it down more, but the reality is some discs work fine, others don't. For instance, season 6 of Star Trek Voyager I have the problem, season 7 of Deep Space Nine seeks fine. Muppet treasure island won't seek, Mulan will.

Is there anything I can do to help narrow it down?
skittle

Post by skittle »

Post mediainfo output of one that does seek, and one that doesnt.
threepwood

Post by threepwood »

I have the exact same problem with FF/chapters causing movie restart on my WD TV Live. This happens with e.g. "Terminator 3 - Rise Of The Machines", but not with "The Name of the Rose".

The technical info from MediaInfo does not differ between the two MKV's, but with Terminator 3, MakeMKV says "Complex multiplex encountered - 35 cells and 13028 VOBUs have to be scanned".
bcw-123

Post by bcw-123 »

I also have problem MKV files created with mkvmerge GUI v5.8.0 software (9801 kb) downloaded from mkvtoolnix.
When using the prob-mkv file the PC physical memory went from normal to 98% in about 2 minutes of opening (eg. with vlc.exe or other programs and windows programs). I believe the prob-mkv is missing an eof (end-of-file) marker.

I deleted the problem 4GB mkv file - it took about 4 minutes to delete - windows reported deleting / calculating, and memory use went to 98% in about 2 mins (delete part-1) and dropped then to normal, and then went up to 98% again in about 2 mins (delete-part-2) and then went down to normal after delete mkv file completed successfully.

It seems that this mkv file was not created properly by mkvmerge GUI v5.8.0, and was probably missing the end-of-file (eof) indicator mark.

I have no problems with any other mkv files (about 100) on my pc that I did not use mmg.exe to create.

Will mkvmerge (mmg.exe) be fixed...soon...?
Any thoughts...!