Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
steffenmanden

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden »

Peter Quill wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:55 pm
Hello guys. I'm new here.
I'm curious about the possibility of Dolby Vision and MKV.
A question, as I still don't quite understand the subject: When preparing a remux of BD 4K (HDR10/HDR10+ and DV) will be merged in just one video? Will this process reencode?
Is it possible to join the two videos without having to reencode?
This new way means that Dolby Vision will be supported in the format without quality loss or anything.

Pretty much just play the mkv and the dolby vision will trigger :) - Effectively it means we can avoid all this "crap" with making a TS to get a semi working version
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

siriusbox wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:49 am
mathias19 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 am
I've got it working. Thanks for your help!

When do you think the Dolby Vision MKV standard will be finalised? What is your opinion on how long it will take for the softwares of LG, plex, kodi, etc to implement the changes allowing recognition of DV in a mkv container?
Dolby has nothing to do here, they are not related to the current support, and they probably will not like that community finally find a wayt to do it. MKV group already merged the changes yesterday, two things more remains; that MakeMKV and other similar software, like MVKToolnix, generate the MKV using the agreed format, probably a matter of days, and players add support for it on licensed hardware, which could take a bit more. Forget about LG support on WebOS (so no support for Plex over WebOS either), but it could be possible on other brands using Android TV, for instance. Plex and Kodi developers are aware of the current progress and my bet is that we will see support on Plex long before Kodi do. It's a matter of few months or maybe less for Plex, but probably you will need to wait to Kodi 19 to get support.

The important thing anyway is you can start making your backups once Mike update MakeMKV and they will be ready for the moment the player support comes.

Regards.
I have a feeling that it will go super fast with Plex. One of Plex's employees have been directly involved in the comments on the standard, so i expect them to implement it shortly after we have test material ready by mike making a new version of MakeMKV or Mortiz getting it in MKVToolnix - however i think most plan it on being mike, as MakeMKV is more focused on the initial remux, where MKVToolnix is mostly focused on changing existing remuxes.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

steffenmanden wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 pm
Peter Quill wrote:
A question, as I still don't quite understand the subject: When preparing a remux of BD 4K (HDR10/HDR10+ and DV) will be merged in just one video? Will this process reencode?
This new way means that Dolby Vision will be supported in the format without quality loss or anything.

Pretty much just play the mkv and the dolby vision will trigger :) - Effectively it means we can avoid all this "crap" with making a TS to get a semi working version
I don't think there's anything "semi-working" about the current TS method at all :). Sure it can be a little tedious and confusing for newer people, but the resulting file will produce the same picture and audio as the eventual DV mkvs. There will still be some use for the TS remuxes in the future on devices that will never support mkvs (webos, bluray players, etc).
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

I've been lurking on this forum (this topic specifically) for several months and decided I had to sign up and say thanks to everyone involved with this project. Your work and testing is greatly appreciated!
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

steffenmanden wrote:
Peter Quill wrote:

But the resulting mkv will still be dual layer profile 7 right? Apple TV and the Shield only support single layer profile 5. what am I missing?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Meister_Proper wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:43 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Peter Quill wrote:

But the resulting mkv will still be dual layer profile 7 right? Apple TV and the Shield only support single layer profile 5. what am I missing?
Correct, the resulting mkv will be single track dual layer profile 7. The current gen AppleTV will not able to play it unless mike creates a dvdfab-like option to strip the EL and convert to profile 5. Otherwise, you will still need to use yusecope's tool in mode 2 and tsmuxer to create your profile 5 videos. The Shield has confirmed support for dual layer profile 4 MEL (FEL plays fine too, but whether its being played correctly is a different discussion). Even though there is no explicit profile 7 support on the Shield, it's been theorized that when plex's version of exoplayer encounters a non-supported profile, it looks at the layers and chooses the best supported profile for playback. Hence why profile 6 and 7 single track dual layer (BL+EL+RPU) TS files will currently play without issue.
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:05 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Peter Quill wrote:

I don't think there's anything "semi-working" about the current TS method at all :). Sure it can be a little tedious and confusing for newer people, but the resulting file will produce the same picture and audio as the eventual DV mkvs. There will still be some use for the TS remuxes in the future on devices that will never support mkvs (webos, bluray players, etc).

Semi working with the fact that PGS subs etc. doesnt work (most places). And just the direction of getting to have the file in the first place
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

Meister_Proper wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:43 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Peter Quill wrote:

Yea, but having access to the data also allows for changes to be made :-)
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

steffenmanden wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 pm
Semi working with the fact that PGS subs etc. doesnt work (most places). And just the direction of getting to have the file in the first place
Ah sure, yeah, the PGS issues and lack of chapters support is definitely a shortcoming of the current TS route. Just didn't want to give the newer people the wrong impression that the new mkv will have some improvements on the audio/video side of things.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

Out of curiosity, what is the process going to be on our once the new MKV standard is implemented and apps like Plex etc are updated? I vaguely remember reading something about having to re-wrap or refresh the MKV files but could be way off.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

disc -> makemkv and done
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
That's mostly true. But MKV's have chapters which is nice. :D And hopefully working subtitles.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:26 pm

Ah sure, yeah, the PGS issues and lack of chapters support is definitely a shortcoming of the current TS route. Just didn't want to give the newer people the wrong impression that the new mkv will have some improvements on the audio/video side of things.
Fair enough. :)
DaveBinM

Post by DaveBinM »

There's now an official Dolby Vision spec for mkv, as noted in https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-s ... n/pull/390
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:49 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
That's mostly true. But MKV's have chapters which is nice. :D And hopefully working subtitles.
Subtitles are the important part for me :) SRT subtitles are so "blocked" in how they look, while PGS look nice and crisp.
To that comes all the pain of actually getting an SRT, when what you get when ripping your discs is PGS!

I look forward to finally having this in place :)