Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden »

floyd12 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:51 am
floyd12 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:42 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:29 pm

This is playing back with Plex on the 2019 Shield? I actually haven't heard of anyone getting it to work. You can mux them in, but with a PGS subtitle selected during playback, it might play for a second or so, and then it'll pop up with an error and the video will stop.
Sorry, my mistake, actually I never played my DV .ts until the first talks, indeed as soon the first subtitles should appear, the playback stops.
Ok guys, I come back with PGS subtitles, this time I tried with MrMC on 2019 Shield Pro, and the PGS are playing fine, I didn't watch a whole movie just about 1 minute to test it, and everything seems perfect (DV+Atmos+PGS).
It works on a few players - however with MKV it will work everywhere like it should :)
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:47 am
chrisandy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:15 am
Another one..

Combining two discs that have their own BDMV folders:

1. MakeMKV of each
2. eac3to audio for each

Do I then use eac3to to combine them into a single audio track?

4. Use TSMuxer to make a single TS

Just want to make sure I have the above steps correct.

Thanks again to all the wonderful people on this forum who have been incredibly helpful.
Easiest way is to just use tsmuxer to do the joining. First add your mkv #1 to tsmuxer. Then with it highlighted, click join and add mkv #2. Click add next to add atmos track #1, and then with it highlighted, click join again to add atmos track #2. In the area where you check/uncheck tracks, you'll notice that you only see the tracks from mkv #1 and atmos #1. That's fine as the ones from disc #2 are being joined so they should not show up as their own tracks. Just mux and you'll end up with one resulting TS file
Great, this worked like a charm - thanks.

One issue I ran into before with trying to convert PGS to SRT is that the grammar/spacing gets weird - extra spaces, punctuation is off, etc. Combining the .SRT files will be its own challenge, just wasn't sure if there was a way around use Subtitle Edit or if I have to manually fix the errors.
jayper

Post by jayper »

When importing subs to Subtitle Edit, make sure you try out different OCR algorithms when scanning the PGS subtitles. It's been a while since I fiddled with Subtitle Edit, but I recall one of the algorithms being much, much better than the others.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

jayper wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:16 pm
When importing subs to Subtitle Edit, make sure you try out different OCR algorithms when scanning the PGS subtitles. It's been a while since I fiddled with Subtitle Edit, but I recall one of the algorithms being much, much better than the others.

Great, thanks, I'll give it a whirl. Not sure if you know the answer to this but I'm assuming I should be able to also use Subtitle Edit to combine two .SRT files and that it will have the right timing etc? I'm confused on the process since they're for different discs meaning the start times are technically the same.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Just download a subtitle file from opensubtitles or use mrmc with the plex addon to play the file, it seems to work with DV and PGS subtitles.
jayper

Post by jayper »

chrisandy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 pm
Great, thanks, I'll give it a whirl. Not sure if you know the answer to this but I'm assuming I should be able to also use Subtitle Edit to combine two .SRT files and that it will have the right timing etc? I'm confused on the process since they're for different discs meaning the start times are technically the same.
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer here.

shawnc22's suggestion above is probably the simplest path forward, honestly.
actpower

Post by actpower »

Hi all!. I´m new here!. I´m have done some tests with DV with MKV but I don´t know if there is something strange.

I´m using the Dolby Vision Disc Demo from Dolby, that have Dolby Vision and Atmos in all demos that it have, like this screenshot reveal:

https://prnt.sc/t5g8pr

But when create the MKVs, Media Info don´t reveal anything:

https://prnt.sc/t5gavg

In fact, if I load these MKV to MakeMKV, oops:

https://prnt.sc/t5gd2a

There isn´t any HDR involved, but sure that is! :-)

What´s wrong with these files?
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

actpower wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:40 am
Hi all!. I´m new here!. I´m have done some tests with DV with MKV but I don´t know if there is something strange.

I´m using the Dolby Vision Disc Demo from Dolby, that have Dolby Vision and Atmos in all demos that it have, like this screenshot reveal:

https://prnt.sc/t5g8pr

But when create the MKVs, Media Info don´t reveal anything:

https://prnt.sc/t5gavg

In fact, if I load these MKV to MakeMKV, oops:

https://prnt.sc/t5gd2a

There isn´t any HDR involved, but sure that is! :-)

What´s wrong with these files?
It's not implemented in MakeMKV yet. We are waiting for the new specification to be implemented. The old way mike did it is depricated already
actpower

Post by actpower »

steffenmanden wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:43 pm

It's not implemented in MakeMKV yet. We are waiting for the new specification to be implemented. The old way mike did it is depricated already
Ahhh, thanks!. I keep an eye on this when is released, thanks!
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

https://forums.plex.tv/t/feature-reques ... /576028/52

Plex is just waiting for test material! pretty sure they new spec will move fast :-)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'd read the fine print there. And not get too excited. I would say we're at least weeks away if not more from seeing anything happen. That's if we're lucky.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:51 am
I'd read the fine print there. And not get too excited. I would say we're at least weeks away if not more from seeing anything happen. That's if we're lucky.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Ofc we are weeks away, but trust me they wont note it if they werent planning on it! rcombs was involved in the talks anyway - it was just to highlight that they plan to do it.
box4m

Post by box4m »

i guess us shieldusers wont benefit from this new makemkv since its profile 7 dual layer, or am i missing something?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

box4m wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:43 pm
i guess us shieldusers wont benefit from this new makemkv since its profile 7 dual layer, or am i missing something?
shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:29 pm

box4m wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:32 pm
something i thought about, what profile will makemkv demux/bl+el+rpu be? it will contain EL and not be profile 5 i guess
https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 705#p91896
Might want to have another read
cipher

Post by cipher »

Any idea if the new software clients from Plex/Kodi etc will allow us to select HDR10 instead of DV for certain titles? I'm thinking of cases where there was a poor implementation of DV and the HDR10 layer does a better job with the video. Yes, most TV's come with the option to turn Dolby Vision On/Off, but I would prefer something a bit more granular.

Hopefully, Plex and other software players can add a new "HDR" Setting that allows one to select between the various HDR layers available in a video file similar to how we can currently select Audio/Subtitle tracks.