Number of licenses

Everything related to MakeMKV
henrikn

Number of licenses

Post by henrikn »

Hi

I have tried the MKV software for some days, and are satisfied.

I have tried to find info regarding number of licenses, when I purchase license

The thing is, I am using a Windows desktop or my Macbook laptop (with an external DVD drive, which I use on both computers). Will I be able to use the same license key, to both computers?

Henrik
mike admin

Re: Number of licenses

Post by mike admin »

henrikn wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:39 pm
The thing is, I am using a Windows desktop or my Macbook laptop (with an external DVD drive, which I use on both computers). Will I be able to use the same license key, to both computers?
Yes.
xr200

Post by xr200 »

Additionally, if you ever want to upgrade the hardware on one (or both) of your computers,
MakeMKV will keep working for you (at least this is true for Linux, where I had to replace
the motherboard on my desktop), and MakeMKV didn't blink at all, it just kept working.
henrikn

Post by henrikn »

Thanks. I was afraid that I need to buy 2 licenses....
icourt

Post by icourt »

I think the MakeMKV licensing model works on an honesty principle. Of course I must stress that I don’t speak for Mike, but this is the impression I am given.

If you have it installed with the same key on two or three machines; say your ‘main’ PC, an HTPC, and a laptop, and you alone do the ripping, I don’t think it’s a big issue. At a push, if you live with your family and you all share the same collection, one could argue that it’d be fine for your partner or any of your children to use it, so long as the amount of concurrent use is minimal/reasonable.

If you live with friends/housemates, and it’s installed on a bunch of machines and everyone uses them, and you’re all maintaining your own collections, then that’s a case for purchasing more licenses. That situation could presently be avoided presently by using the free beta keys anyway.
If at any point you believe that your usage constitutes purchase of a second license, or if more specifically you think your level of usage is worth making another contribution, then of course you’d be welcome to do so.

Of course, this could change in future and more strict activation could be required. But during this (extended) beta phase, it’s apparent that registering the software is optional.

Again, I must reiterate I’m not speaking for Mike, but I’m sure he will clarify if I’m way off the mark!