Official Dolby Vision MKV spec support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
yusesope

Re: Official Dolby Vision MKV spec support

Post by yusesope »

whiplash1 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:07 pm
Interesting observation that I made just 10mins ago. Made an MKV for Joker from a full BD backup. Took a small snippet and played through your modified apk and it said "Playback failed". Took the file and removed the chapters using MKVtoolnix (v49, latest), which I'm told, preserves the DV metadata; and voila! DV is triggered! (In the mediainfo writing application and library both show mkvmerge now, which I suppose is getting rid of the problem I was having)

Didn't have to do all this with the GI Joe P7_MEL. It showed writing library as 1.15.1, but it was made in a 32bit machine it seems. (x86 debug version of Makemkv 1.15.2)

Any thoughts on this?
:shock: :shock:
Very strange.
Have you tried to press the "play" button several times (even after the "playback failed" message)?

I can't speak about MakeMKV but maybe there is some error in my version of ExoPlayer. Try the previous version in which I had not yet implemented the chapter function.

phbart wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:00 pm
On my LG OLED B7P, both mp4 worked fine, but the mkv only played as HDR.
Thanks for the Testing.
whiplash1

Post by whiplash1 »

yusesope wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:37 am
whiplash1 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:07 pm
Interesting observation that I made just 10mins ago. Made an MKV for Joker from a full BD backup. Took a small snippet and played through your modified apk and it said "Playback failed". Took the file and removed the chapters using MKVtoolnix (v49, latest), which I'm told, preserves the DV metadata; and voila! DV is triggered! (In the mediainfo writing application and library both show mkvmerge now, which I suppose is getting rid of the problem I was having)

Didn't have to do all this with the GI Joe P7_MEL. It showed writing library as 1.15.1, but it was made in a 32bit machine it seems. (x86 debug version of Makemkv 1.15.2)

Any thoughts on this?
:shock: :shock:
Very strange.
Have you tried to press the "play" button several times (even after the "playback failed" message)?

I can't speak about MakeMKV but maybe there is some error in my version of ExoPlayer. Try the previous version in which I had not yet implemented the chapter function.

phbart wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:00 pm
On my LG OLED B7P, both mp4 worked fine, but the mkv only played as HDR.
Thanks for the Testing.
Sorry if it came out wrong. There's nothing wrong with chapters, they work just fine. What I meant was I made a fresh mkv using the 1.15.2 output on a whim through MKVtoolnix (removed chapters for example) and DV triggers just fine. So far I've tested it on 3 MEL titles Joker, 2001 A Space Odyssey and Skyfall.

So my workflow that's working so far is this -

Full BD backup to mkv using 1.15.2 -> Mux the output mkv through latest MKVtoolnix (naming chapters/removing audio tracks etc) -> play in Kodi through latest modded exoplayer -> DV triggered on TV along with Atmos/pgs subs/chapters.

I know I can deselect audio tracks inside MakeMKV itself but I just leave some work to be done by MKVtoolnix just in case.

It's been working like a charm for all MEL titles. Only FEL titles remain to be conquered and I can replace my entire library after that.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Fuluer wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:19 pm
In this world of Covid, very much looking forward to remastering my MKVs to DV so I can rewatch them in their glory. Any expectation on release date for next MakeMKV version?
MakeMKV is actually good to go, we're just waiting on the players to add support!

In the meantime there are a couple of ways to get DV working today:

1. Remux an MKV into a TS file (you have to extract the audio tracks manually first): the instructions are sprinkled throughout this post, but here's a starting point: https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91519#p91519
2. With an Nvidia Shield using Kodi and a modified version of ExoPlayer: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21937&start=1080#p94077

DV rips in MKV will fall back to HDR10 with Plex on the Shield and I've been okay with that. I'd rather wait for official support than make a bunch of TS files (especially annoying since I'm on a Mac and one of the utilities for extracting audio is only available on PC).
phbart

Post by phbart »

I remuxed all test files to TS using the TS Muxer "w64-nightly-2020-08-28--02-20-47" version and tested on the B7P. The mkv and the DT_DL files didn't even play as a TS remux, but the ST_DL worked fine and it triggered DV.
codeXRes

Post by codeXRes »

Slightly offtopic but anyone here tried Watchmen Ultimate edition?

Makemkv managed to create the mkv file which triggers DV with Kodi on modded exoplyer. But tsmuxer errors with the following:
tsMuxeR finished with error code -1.
B-pyramid level 2 detected. Shift DTS to 3 frames
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

Cannikin wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:25 pm
DV rips in MKV will fall back to HDR10 with Plex on the Shield and I've been okay with that. I'd rather wait for official support
Good to know as that has been my experience.

I'm also happy to wait rather than start side-loading apps.
jerryfudd81

Post by jerryfudd81 »

coming into this topic late so might not yet even be possible with MakeMKV but opening a disk or disk backup BDMV how do I tell the DV titles from the HDR10 ones? ...or am I missing something fundamental?
jayper

Post by jayper »

When you open a DV title, expand the playlist for the full film.

To right right of the word video, at the top of the stream list in the playlist, you will see the video codec used as well as extra information in parenthesis. This information indicates a DV title.

Like so:
Screenshot 2020-09-20 075654.png
Screenshot 2020-09-20 075654.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 26741 times

You'll notice this information is not present for an HDR10 film:
Screenshot 2020-09-20 080020.png
Screenshot 2020-09-20 080020.png (1.9 KiB) Viewed 26741 times

If you'd rather not check disk by disk, you could just refer to this thread at Blu-ray.com, they have done a great job inventorying which disks include DV: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
jerryfudd81

Post by jerryfudd81 »

jayper wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:03 pm
When you open a DV title, expand the playlist for the full film.

To right right of the word video, at the top of the stream list in the playlist, you will see the video codec used as well as extra information in parenthesis. This information indicates a DV title.

Like so:

Screenshot 2020-09-20 075654.png

You'll notice this information is not present for an HDR10 film:

Screenshot 2020-09-20 080020.png

If you'd rather not check disk by disk, you could just refer to this thread at Blu-ray.com, they have done a great job inventorying which disks include DV: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
thanks, thats a great help!
annisman

Post by annisman »

And idea if MPC-BE is going to be updated for DV support?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Very unlikely. The necessary chain does not exist on a PC.
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Not for this, no. This has been discussed ad nauseum but there's a lot of things that are required to make Dolby Vision playback work.

0) You need a decoder. We may be able to finagle that on a PC in some of the latest GPU drivers out there. Maybe
0) It's likely something like LAV Video would be needed to wrap a driver to expose it
0) You need a splitter that understands the MKV format. Assumably that'd be LAV Splitter
0) Next you need a renderer that can output the decoded, split video. This also needs to understand DV.

Once some of this makes its way to ffmpeg, maybe Nevcariel (author of LAV Filters) will take on the decoder and splitter. There's an almost 0% chance that madshi will take on the rendering in madvr so that's out. Even if he did, he's busy and dynamic tone mapping isn't even finished for HDR. You'd be looking at years not months assuming he actually said yes, which, as mentioned, is very unlikely. Hence you'd need someone to add it to one of the EVR renderers. I've not looked into those lately so I've no idea if they're active or not.

All this is to reenforce what I said before, PC playback of DV isn't happening any time soon.
jeromemaporma

Post by jeromemaporma »

Cannikin wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:25 pm
Fuluer wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:19 pm
In this world of Covid, very much looking forward to remastering my MKVs to DV so I can rewatch them in their glory. Any expectation on release date for next MakeMKV version?
MakeMKV is actually good to go, we're just waiting on the players to add support!

In the meantime there are a couple of ways to get DV working today:

1. Remux an MKV into a TS file (you have to extract the audio tracks manually first): the instructions are sprinkled throughout this post, but here's a starting point: viewtopic.php?p=91519#p91519
2. With an Nvidia Shield using Kodi and a modified version of ExoPlayer: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 080#p94077

DV rips in MKV will fall back to HDR10 with Plex on the Shield and I've been okay with that. I'd rather wait for official support than make a bunch of TS files (especially annoying since I'm on a Mac and one of the utilities for extracting audio is only available on PC).
Hello, kinda new to this part of techno world coz I just bought some related devices but I've been reading some topics already.

Just wanna ask for inputs about choosing a device player for my mini-home theater setup. Apparently I already own a TV and soundbar that have Vision-Atmos features then I get my files from one leading torrent site which I can see on its FAQs they're using MKVToolNix for muxing. I highly believe (coz really I'm not more into tech details yet) that the movie files here have DV/DA preserved properly so I'm not thinking too much of reprocessing remuxes. So about the media player, I'm leaning towards efficiency and less cost (idk if I'll be scoffed at this). For the 2 points mentioned above, this is what I have in mind:

1. XBox Series S - More on futuristic but since this serves as a UHD player, I believe a TS file will output the DV here?
2. Nvidia Shield - Eventually there will be a player (Kodi most likely) that can support muxed files so I should get one now?

TIA.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700