TrueHD

Everything related to MakeMKV
domlof

TrueHD

Post by domlof »

Hi

Newbie here!

Can anyone tell me if this supports TrueHD? I've tried this on one BR (KungFu Panda) and it seemed to extract the AC3 core. :o

Thanks

Dom
nunbaggi

Re: TrueHD

Post by nunbaggi »

And when will other hd audio formats be supported??
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Currently MKV format does not support truehd tracks and no players will play it - therefore MakeMKV preserves only core audio. Once the format will be finalised, MakeMKV will support it.
merzbow

Post by merzbow »

Why not support decoding and losslessly compressing of TrueHD and DTS-MA to FLAC like eac3to does? What's the point of ripping Blu Rays if you lose the HD Audio? This is the only thing stopping me from using this program. Many other ripping front ends do support this, and they support it now.
Chiasmos

Post by Chiasmos »

merzbow wrote:Why not support decoding and losslessly compressing of TrueHD and DTS-MA to FLAC like eac3to does? What's the point of ripping Blu Rays if you lose the HD Audio? This is the only thing stopping me from using this program. Many other ripping front ends do support this, and they support it now.
MakeMKV is a great program, but is in beta, and as mentioned just above by the admin about HD Audio,"......Once the format will be finalised, MakeMKV will support it." I have used programs for HD Audio to FLAC for MKV and was very pleased with the playback. But how many programs can easily decrypt and convert most Disks like MakeMKV can? :?:
I will continue to enjoy MakeMKV for what it does and I'm confident of the future. :D
merzbow

Post by merzbow »

Chiasmos wrote:
merzbow wrote:Why not support decoding and losslessly compressing of TrueHD and DTS-MA to FLAC like eac3to does? What's the point of ripping Blu Rays if you lose the HD Audio? This is the only thing stopping me from using this program. Many other ripping front ends do support this, and they support it now.
MakeMKV is a great program, but is in beta, and as mentioned just above by the admin about HD Audio,"......Once the format will be finalised, MakeMKV will support it." I have used programs for HD Audio to FLAC for MKV and was very pleased with the playback. But how many programs can easily decrypt and convert most Disks like MakeMKV can? :?:
I will continue to enjoy MakeMKV for what it does and I'm confident of the future. :D
"Once the format is finalized" makes no sense. It's been finalized enough that it's been in HD discs and receivers for years now, and in software utilities for at least a year. It would be trivial to add those capabilities to this software today. If the author chooses not to, that's up to him, but I hope he does so I can be a customer.
daGoo

Post by daGoo »

And so do I ! :wink:
DS-fan

Post by DS-fan »

mike admin wrote:Currently MKV format does not support truehd tracks and no players will play it - therefore MakeMKV preserves only core audio. Once the format will be finalised, MakeMKV will support it.
Is this statement still true? If I read the feature list of VLC player correctly, it supports HD formats as of version 1.0 (at least TrueHD):
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.php?cat=audio
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

To best of my knowledge "no player will play TrueHD from MKV container" is still true. Sadly, VLC can't even play multichannel WAv from MKV container while it can play it from a wav file.
xchema

Post by xchema »

But what about flac? It can be played from a mkv container, it's free and open source, cross-platform and lossless. I think that if the objective of MakeMKV is to obtain a copy of a blue-ray disc movie with the same quality on to a mkv this is the way to go. On films that occupy around 25GB (Dark Knight for example), is it relevant to add an audio stream of 1-3 GB? If the answer is yes then video should be compressed too imho.
hitekakex

Post by hitekakex »

Personally, I am very happy with MakeMKV current approach - extracting core AC3/DTS audio into MKV.

Flac is fine, but it's way too exotic for most players and media extenders out there. I will gladly "live" with the AC3 soundtrack in exchange for the wide compatibility and convenience it gives me.
xchema

Post by xchema »

I see Flac as an option not as a replacement of current core extraction. It is too exotic for hardware players yes, but not so much for software players; having in mind that htpcs is getting very common nowadays, i think it is an interesting option.
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

Do we know when this will be 'fixed'. I have plenty of DVDs to be getting on with (and only ~8 BDs), but if it's going to be ages I may need to look at alternates for BD's as I want the highest quality sound track available.

Thanks